Is a Manziel trade already in the works?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
All that and he still won the Heisman Trophy and was a dominate college QB. That speaks volumes about his skills and athleticism.

Not really, it's college. The NFL is a totally different game and thus far he's wasted 2 years of development. He's kinda in the same situation as RG3, in that he's college scheme did not prepare him for the NFL, but he hasn't taken any steps in the right direction. And between the two of them, I don't even think he's as talented.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Not really, it's college. The NFL is a totally different game and thus far he's wasted 2 years of development. He's kinda in the same situation as RG3, in that he's college scheme did not prepare him for the NFL, but he hasn't taken any steps in the right direction. And between the two of them, I don't even think he's as talented.

Yeah and Alex Smith looked like a bust in SF and Palmer with the Raiders wasn't lighting it up either.

Don't believe that Manziel or RGIII have no skills. I think both would be rated over Goff and Lynch if they were coming out right now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I expect to hear a lot of media reports trying to connect Dallas and Manziel. I think it would be a big mistake to take a chance on him. I think the guy has some serious personal issues and one of the main ones is alcoholic. not buying into the theory he is only doing this to get out of Cleveland, I think the guy has some big problems

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Yeah and Alex Smith looked like a bust in SF and Palmer with the Raiders wasn't lighting it up either.

Palmer had already proven in Cincinnati he was an NFL QB, but you are right on ASmith. He looked like a bust in SF and was able to turn it around once he got a good o-line and a defense. A matter of fact, I think in the other thread I said if Manziel buckled down, he had at best ASmith potential (more big plays, but much less accurate). However, Manziel has given no indication that he's willing to buckle down and I would not gamble when the upside is ASmith type success. If I pass on Goff + Lynch, it will because they aren't good enough

Don't believe that Manziel or RGIII have no skills. I think both would be rated over Goff and Lynch if they were coming out right now.

RG3 definately would have been the higher ranked prospect, Manziel not likely. He went 22nd and may have fallen out of the first round if the Browns owner wasn't determined to draft him. Depends on who the Vikes had rated higher.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Palmer had already proven in Cincinnati he was an NFL QB, but you are right on ASmith. He looked like a bust in SF and was able to turn it around once he got a good o-line and a defense. A matter of fact, I think in the other thread I said if Manziel buckled down, he had at best ASmith potential (more big plays, but much less accurate). However, Manziel has given no indication that he's willing to buckle down and I would not gamble when the upside is ASmith type success. If I pass on Goff + Lynch, it will because they aren't good enough

RG3 definately would have been the higher ranked prospect, Manziel not likely. He went 22nd and may have fallen out of the first round if the Browns owner wasn't determined to draft him. Depends on who the Vikes had rated higher.

No argument there. IF Goff or Lynch is their highest rated player when they pick then they should take him. I just don't want them to reach is what I think they would be doing. This roster needs more than just a backup QB.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No argument there. IF Goff or Lynch is their highest rated player when they pick then they should take him. I just don't want them to reach is what I think they would be doing. This roster needs more than just a backup QB.

If they draft Goff or Lynch it is not about drafting a backup it is about drafting for their future. Unlike when Aikman left and we spent years with other teams left overs trying to find a QB

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
If they draft Goff or Lynch it is not about drafting a backup it is about drafting for their future. Unlike when Aikman left and we spent years with other teams left overs trying to find a QB

Yes, I understand that but for 2016 it is just a backup qb and probably no 3 on the depth chart. Again if the QB is the highest rated player on their board then they should do it. I just don't think that would be the case.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
Not sure what you don't see. There are boxes that we can't check, since none of us will likely be able to talk to him about an NFL offense (or would have his understanding), but the boxes we can check, are just about all checked. At 6'6 245, he has an NFL frame, and he has more than enough mobility. He's got an NFL arm, capable of making any throw and has displayed pretty good accuracy. Now, how much of his accuracy is based off the scheme he's in, I won't pretend to know, but scouts will quickly recognize which it is once they begin to study him on film. On top of all the physical tools, he was highly productive, throwing 28 TDs to only 4 INTs and passing for more than 3700 yards. He's far from a sure thing, as is any prospect, but if you don't see it, it's likely because you don't want to.

I watched the Auburn game. I just don't see it. I don't think he's a first round talent. I know it's just one game, but was less than impressive. Apparently, I'm not the only one. Most mock drafts now have Goff entrenched as the top QB in the draft and Lynch at the end of the top 10.

Wrangler87

Reaction score

Did you watch his last four games? I mean, did you actually sit and watch his last four games?

Wrangler87

Reaction score

Exactly. I think part of his behavior is an attempt to get out of Cleveland. He obviously knew he was being recorded on last week's video. He looked right into the camera. That part is a done deal. The only question is, where will he go next. I think we can all see how this is going to play out.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I watched the Auburn game. I just don't see it. I don't think he's a first round talent. I know it's just one game, but was less than impressive. Apparently, I'm not the only one. Most mock drafts now have Goff entrenched as the top QB in the draft and Lynch at the end of the top 10.

realistically speaking, Memphis is not in the same class as Auburn, to judge him on 1 poor performance against a far superior team, is just not a realistic evaluation.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I can't stand Manziel. But I do not have a problem trading with the Browns for him. As long as Cowboys do not give up anything valuable for the knucklehead, e.g. first or 2nd round pick. And if a 3rd is given up, it better be as part of a package (with Joe Thomas and Josh Gordon).

The bigger issue is how to maximize his value once he gets here. Cowboys system is not QB friendly and it will take Manziel time to learn the system, as well as the discipline to master it. In the interim, Manziel is a 3rd stringer who should still get some looks, especially in specialty packages like 2 point conversions or a wildcat look. IMO Cowboys do not have the coaching personnel or the creativity to really succeed with Manziel. Garrett is too conservative by nature and lacks any real X's and O's ability. Garrett is unable to make lemonade out of lemons, never mind try to create a whole new concoction that would take the beverage industry by storm.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
One big difference between those two is Brett Favre had the talent to play in this league.

Alright. We can it here. If you're going to tell me that Manziel does not have the talent to play in the NFL there's no reason for us to go any further. I'm not going to waste my time.