Is anyone still questioning if Dak can be The Guy?

ghst187

Reaction score
The constant criticism is usually just a counter to the constant praise so where is your post speaking on that? I want the Boys to do like KC and move up and draft a qb if it’s feasible. All them QBs we can’t get so I don’t really speak on them but them on Dallas team I think would be better with their qb skill set over Dak. Dak as a qb is average at best. Dak also rarely runs for first downs so I’m not giving him that.

I don’t care about no dang 25 reasons I just know average inaccurate QBs aren’t nothing more than average and would rather draft a replacement. He’s most likely staying so I hope he improved but he’s getting close to the he is what he is point in his career.

I think Dak is a bit better than average and his results, any way you slice it (W/Ls, yards, QBR, PPG,...) he measures out better than average. But regardless of that we can disagree but the fact still remains that it’s REALLY hard to draft a better one. So say you unload all our draft picks to get into the top 3....there’s almost never a sure thing. Some top drafted QBs....Jamarcus Russell, Joey Harrington, Ryan Leaf, Jamis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Sam Darnold, Mayfield, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Tribusky (sp?), ....I’m certainly not opposed to getting a top tier QB who is the next Brady or Rodgers, but you have to tell me who that can’t miss guy is. Tens of millions of dollars are poured into that scouting and the results are still a total crapshoot. If we would’ve gotten what we wanted initially we’d be sitting here with Paxton Lynch or the kid from Penn St so we actually lucked into Prescott who, IMO has outplayed all of his classmates.
I understand the criticism of Dak, I just don’t know how you get a better one since we will always draft in the middle or end of the first round. You want Tua or Lawrence? It will be a massive bidding war.
Aside, I think our current team is good enough to win it all, I know our coaching staff is not.
That’s the easiest thing to change quickly.

Eightneight

Reaction score
I see a player who has won a lot of games since he's been in the league. It's not always pretty but the guy wins...alot. I think he's gonna be the qb of the Cowboys for years to come. He is throwing the ball alot better this year and has improved his game year after year. The problem with this team is certainly not Dak.

Reactions: CWR

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I think Dak is a bit better than average and his results, any way you slice it (W/Ls, yards, QBR, PPG,...) he measures out better than average. But regardless of that we can disagree but the fact still remains that it’s REALLY hard to draft a better one. So say you unload all our draft picks to get into the top 3....there’s almost never a sure thing. Some top drafted QBs....Jamarcus Russell, Joey Harrington, Ryan Leaf, Jamis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Sam Darnold, Mayfield, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Tribusky (sp?), ....I’m certainly not opposed to getting a top tier QB who is the next Brady or Rodgers, but you have to tell me who that can’t miss guy is. Tens of millions of dollars are poured into that scouting and the results are still a total crapshoot. If we would’ve gotten what we wanted initially we’d be sitting here with Paxton Lynch or the kid from Penn St so we actually lucked into Prescott who, IMO has outplayed all of his classmates.
I understand the criticism of Dak, I just don’t know how you get a better one since we will always draft in the middle or end of the first round. You want Tua or Lawrence? It will be a massive bidding war.
Aside, I think our current team is good enough to win it all, I know our coaching staff is not.
That’s the easiest thing to change quickly.
All this tell you who the next before drafting them is cowards talk. Dak is average and I swear to everything I love people that use w/l record as some meaningful stat in a team game are football silly. I don't care if they are actuall HOF nfl players it doesn't make sense period. If Dak was sooo much better than average he wouldn't be as polarizing period. How polarizing are true great players in any sport? Even good players aren't really that polarizing. You don't really have a split out here on Zeke or Amari being average but little ole Dak stay polarizing. Wonder why? Garrett for all the Dak w/l junk I hate is the coach of the team so he should get some credit for that if people want to use that w/l record even moreso than Dak since the whole team and results are on him. Don't be a coward just because we have ok. Its not a good way to do things in life and as a football fan. Dak is replaceable and we don't need to know exactly who to do so. We don't use that bogus logic no other time regarding players so we aren't going to use it now.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I’m neither a Dak lover or hater just observant. I didn’t say that anyone said that but the constant criticism is largely just not realistic. He has his flaws but take a look around....all the QBs do. Outside of the top 5-7 QBs currently starting in the NFL who do you want over Dak? Have you seen Mayfield lately? You want Ryan or Stafford? IMO those guys are chokers.
Rivers? Same. And those guys can’t move the sticks with their legs like Dak can.
You want a Brady or Brees or Rodgers...join the other 28 or so teams. They would too.
I think I’ve been pretty consistent that Dak isn’t without his flaws but he has continually improved and he’s better than most of the other starters right now in the league. And the second part to that is....even pretty good is hard to find at QB.
I also just don’t see how Dak is inside the top 25 reasons this team isn’t better than it is....
Beautiful..........

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
All this tell you who the next before drafting them is cowards talk. Dak is average and I swear to everything I love people that use w/l record as some meaningful stat in a team game are football silly. I don't care if they are actuall HOF nfl players it doesn't make sense period. If Dak was sooo much better than average he wouldn't be as polarizing period. How polarizing are true great players in any sport? Even good players aren't really that polarizing. You don't really have a split out here on Zeke or Amari being average but little ole Dak stay polarizing. Wonder why? Garrett for all the Dak w/l junk I hate is the coach of the team so he should get some credit for that if people want to use that w/l record even moreso than Dak since the whole team and results are on him. Don't be a coward just because we have ok. Its not a good way to do things in life and as a football fan. Dak is replaceable and we don't need to know exactly who to do so. We don't use that bogus logic no other time regarding players so we aren't going to use it now.
You need an editor or understand that spell check is not your friend........so in a hurry to get your blather on.......check yourself.

Your opinion is lacking yet you make a joke out of it with simple grammar and punctuation. Which leads me to believe you are a sociopath.

Last edited:

ghst187

Reaction score

Romo was one of the most polarizing players we’ve ever had but he was pretty darned good.
TO, Moss....Deion, Haley....jimmy johnson.....pretty polarizing guys....
I don’t hear rumors of teammates talking junk about Dak. In fact quite the opposite...yet they are in philly about the great Carson Wentz, a qb that Daks almost never lost to.
You want to get cute and trade away two years worth of draft picks to get Lawrence and franchise Dak next season I’m listening..but don’t go crying on here if Lawrence turns out to be a bust, Dak forces his way out of Dallas, and you don’t have a draft pick for two years so the rest of the team is rotten.
Cleveland, Chicago...and several others have drafted in the top 10 for like 20 years and still don’t have a QB as good as what we found in the late fourth.
There are very steep costs to whiff and the odds are stacked heavily against you.
We managed 13-3 and a bye with Dak as a rook, we get innovators instead of clappers and motivators as coaches and we are legit contenders.

ghst187

Reaction score
Teams that would gladly trade (or should) what they have starting at QB for Dak:
Miami
Jax
Tampa
Cincy
Buffalo
NYG
NYJ
Wash
Ariz
Minny
Clev
Carolina
Pitt
Chicago
Tenn

Nearly half.

jnday

Reaction score
Is this the new bi-weekly thread topic where the Dak-lovers ask the haters if Dak has done enough to change their minds? I sure hope so. I look forward to those threads, though they was hard to find for about three weeks .

glimmerman

Reaction score
That's the point.

What QB, in College or in the NFL, wouldn't have success with those things?

A WR that constantly gets wide open..

An Oline that can give you 5 seconds in the pocket and a Top 5 RB that can carry the load, catch the ball, and pick up the blitz..

What QB wouldn't have success with that?

That's what makes Dak Average/ non special as any other QB could do the same thing. Imagine having to pay that guy 35 million plus a year lol

In this league, things rarely go according to plan. Injuries happen. They will continue to happen. So if Amari gets injured, we shouldn't even tale the field? If an Oline man is injured, should we forfeit the game? Is that how much Dak sucks?
Be careful. Your talking about your franchise QB. Don’t matter what we say. JJ is going to sign him and he wants him on a long term deal. The funny thing is that Dak wants a shorter contract to be greedy and cash in again. So if our O-Line drops off or we lose Cooper then if he don’t get better in certain areas he would be exposed and JJ may move on. Or maybe JJ hasn’t given Dak what he wants because he is afraid of the same thing some of you are thinking.

I think he is above average. The drop off in talent on this O-Line is big. Any QB that has someone in his face every passing down isn’t going to look that good. I don’t think the staff is using him correctly when there is a injured O-Line. I am not seeing a lot of designed roll outs. Use his legs.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Romo was one of the most polarizing players we’ve ever had but he was pretty darned good.
TO, Moss....Deion, Haley....jimmy johnson.....pretty polarizing guys....
I don’t hear rumors of teammates talking junk about Dak. In fact quite the opposite...yet they are in philly about the great Carson Wentz, a qb that Daks almost never lost to.
You want to get cute and trade away two years worth of draft picks to get Lawrence and franchise Dak next season I’m listening..but don’t go crying on here if Lawrence turns out to be a bust, Dak forces his way out of Dallas, and you don’t have a draft pick for two years so the rest of the team is rotten.
Cleveland, Chicago...and several others have drafted in the top 10 for like 20 years and still don’t have a QB as good as what we found in the late fourth.
There are very steep costs to whiff and the odds are stacked heavily against you.
We managed 13-3 and a bye with Dak as a rook, we get innovators instead of clappers and motivators as coaches and we are legit contenders.
Romo wasn’t polarizing overall are you serious? Not many outside of these folks on Cowboy messageboards were saying Romo wasn’t good and we need a replacement. The same for them other players you mentioned and some of that is also some people adding their bs morality takes not really on the field play.

As far as Dak and Wentz I’ll say this time and time again this isn’t singles tennis. They don’t play each other. I wish y’all stop parroting what these idiots on tv say. Why would I cry if it didn’t work out? Use that bs logic on someone else. Check my post history on the subject of a top qb pick failing. I’ve said every time I don’t give a dang if it does fail because I think as a qb Dak is Alex Smith level at best so the potential of a Mahommes to replace Dak is worth it for me. I’m not scared like some seem to be.

Lastly people prop Smith Jr up with his W/L record but Garrett had the same record why don’t y’all prop him up like Smith jr? Dak is Vanilla Ice my man a one hit wonder. People going to be talking about that rookie year forever because chances are pretty good he never has a season like that ever again.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It depends on what you mean by "The Guy".

If you mean is he a quarterback who can win us a few games, keep the fan bases' hopes alive and win a playoff game or two with above average talent, yes. He has proven that so far.
If you mean is he an elite quarterback who possesses Elway-, Brady-, Peyton Manning-like ability to take over a game by himself and lead a subpar, average or injured-plagued team deep into the playoffs, uh, no. Not … at … all. At least, not now.
Now I don't know what his development curve is going to look like two years from now. But quarterbacks don't tend to get accurate later in their careers.

Furthermore, you have to understand that many of us grade Dak on the Cowboys-Super Bowl curve. We don't want simply average quarterbacks. We want quarterbacks who can take us to NFC Championship Games and the Super Bowl. That's why we love Staubach and Aikman and were cold towards Tony Romo. Is it a fair standard?
Depends. We're Cowboys fans. We're spoiled by previous success. And, unfortunately for Dak, he gets caught up in our expectations of what we expect a Cowboys quarterback to be.

CWR

Reaction score
I see a player who has won a lot of games since he's been in the league. It's not always pretty but the guy wins...alot. I think he's gonna be the qb of the Cowboys for years to come. He is throwing the ball alot better this year and has improved his game year after year. The problem with this team is certainly not Dak.

A lot of fans are stuck in 2017. Dak is getting better and its not only showing on the field, but in the box scores. The narrative used to be dink and dunk, then the eye ball test. Now its all about schedule and the team around him.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score

Congrats on maybe the worst take ever.

You don’t think Tom Brady is polarizing?

Do you live under a rock?

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
It depends on what you mean by "The Guy".

If you mean is he a quarterback who can win us a few games, keep the fan bases' hopes alive and win a playoff game or two with above average talent, yes. He has proven that so far.
If you mean is he an elite quarterback who possesses Elway-, Brady-, Peyton Manning-like ability to take over a game by himself and lead a subpar, average or injured-plagued team deep into the playoffs, uh, no. Not … at … all. At least, not now.
Now I don't know what his development curve is going to look like two years from now. But quarterbacks don't tend to get accurate later in their careers.

Furthermore, you have to understand that many of us grade Dak on the Cowboys-Super Bowl curve. We don't want simply average quarterbacks. We want quarterbacks who can take us to NFC Championship Games and the Super Bowl. That's why we love Staubach and Aikman and were cold towards Tony Romo. Is it a fair standard?
Depends. We're Cowboys fans. We're spoiled by previous success. And, unfortunately for Dak, he gets caught up in our expectations of what we expect a Cowboys quarterback to be.

Peyton Manning’s first 3 playoff games.

1 passing TD
1 rushing TD
2 INT.

That’s totals for three combined games.

Daks played 3 playoff games too.

5 passing TD
2 rushing TD
2 INT

Don’t forget Peyton had a hall of fame RB a hall of fame center and two Hall of fame WR most of his career.

that’s with two possible hall of fame defensive ends causing havoc on the defensive side too.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
That's the point.

What QB, in College or in the NFL, wouldn't have success with those things?

A WR that constantly gets wide open..

An Oline that can give you 5 seconds in the pocket and a Top 5 RB that can carry the load, catch the ball, and pick up the blitz..

What QB wouldn't have success with that?

That's what makes Dak Average/ non special as any other QB could do the same thing. Imagine having to pay that guy 35 million plus a year lol

In this league, things rarely go according to plan. Injuries happen. They will continue to happen. So if Amari gets injured, we shouldn't even tale the field? If an Oline man is injured, should we forfeit the game? Is that how much Dak sucks?

Is that the same o line that gave up 54 sacks last season?

the one that’s been middle of the pack in pass pro since Dak was drafted?

Hadenough

Reaction score
Dak is good enough right now for this team to be fairly competitive but doesnt perform well against good defenses. The big problem is this team wont be the same if Dak is getting 34 mil.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
While I have tons of heartburn about giving him a big contract he’s plenty good enough for us to win even a SB. I don’t understand the people that constantly bash him, he’s far from perfect but he’s pretty good. I get the feeling that if Mahomes was our QB the same folks would be saying the same things about him. Watch games, those guys miss throws, miss reads, toss INTs, and get sacked too. There was even a season when folks were saying Aaron Rodgers was struggling and may be at the end. Heck a good chunk of Daks INTs this year have been the 100% fault of the Wr. IMO he moves the team really well and generally takes care of the ball. We haven’t averaged this many PPG since Romo to TO. The bottom line is as far as reasons we won’t win a SB go...Dak is a LONG way down on that list.

That's the problem I think. You see those balls as on the WRs, a great many see it differently. I guarantee that if Dak were to sign for less money then expected, a lot of the people who have issue with him would not have issue. A lot of this stuff would not be of such great issue IMO. A lot of this is about the cap. A great many, IMO, see this as a situation that could be managed if you can just keep enough talent around him. Conversely, they see it as a situation that will only get worse if you can't keep that talent around him so the contract becomes front and center.

Now, many will say it's his money and he shouldn't be concerned about how the team pays other players but, the reality is that there really is only so much pie to go around and the more you pay one player, the less there is to pay others. If Dak had shown that he was the kind of QB who didn't need Pro Bowl type WR or RBs or OLs or TEs around him, if he didn't need a dominating Defense to help him win games, if he really could play to a level that circumvented any talent deficiencies, then it would be much different IMO. Even people who like Dak understand he has to have talent around him. The fear is that you don't have money for others and that is a valid concern. I don't think that it's fair to simply dismiss that concern and lump those who have these concerns as "Trolls" or "Haters" or whatever other term that is popular. Fiscal responsibility in this matter is important and I just think it's unfair to label those who land on this side of the fence, as such. I mean, these guys who say, "Pay The Man" at every opportunity are not accountable if Dak does get paid and fails. They won't have to deal with any fall out. Many of them will likely be among the loudest complainers of Dak and his contract if it becomes an anchor around the neck of the team. Meanwhile, those who are trying to be responsible, in terms of their views, get lumped into an unfair category IMO.

There is a monetary concern here. What's more, this is bad for the board IMO. I have no issue with different opinions but this pack mentality over people who have different views is not a good thing IMO. Not saying this is you, by any means, but I see this on the board more and more and it concerns me.

OK, I've gone way over time on this one, probably introduced too much into the conversation. Hope you have a great Saturday.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah, I had a moment of weakness and thought more people were sane of mind lol

The sanity of many here are in question. Anyone who thinks some of these QBs that have failed for other teams and have been benched would be a better option than Dak have to be off the rocker. If the Panthers move on from Cam Newton before Dak re-signs you can bet there’s going to be thread after thread with fans screaming for Cam to be our QB. They won’t care that Cam isn’t the same QB that he was several years ago during his MVP season. They won’t care that he’s been more beat up than Romo and they won’t care that his numbers haven’t been as good as Dak’s the last few seasons.

Reactions: G2