Is anyone still questioning if Dak can be The Guy?

Silverstar

Reaction score
The question becomes, can another QB come in and move this offense with the same talent around him, that's gonna be available in the 2020 draft? If it's not going to be Dak going forward, then that's the alternative you would have to consider IMO, since Cooper Rush is not an option folks. Can a bottom of the 1st round QB (you pick the name) lead this offense, and move the chains with this OL and Zeke and Pollard running the ball, and also be able to connect with Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Witten, Jarwin consistently etc?

Not to mention, all the other responsibilities and pressure that comes with being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
I see that Dak, even when he's without Smith or Collins, still has a good offensive line. Most QBs don't have this. Many QBs are putting up with coaches worse than Garrett, can you believe that? Garrett isn't god awful coach. Some QBs are working with no good WRs. Some with no good RBs.

Are you factoring in everything or just looking at raw statistics? Your list becomes discredited when I see you calling Wilson a system QB. This is the same crap I heard about Brady for like 8 years. It was always a silly thing to say and it's silly to say about Wilson.

No, I not looking at stats at all. I am basing solely on what I have seen THIS YEAR. I agree the Wilson comment is probably incorrect, for which I already conceded in a different post. Perhaps I just don't like the guy that much. I also agree with you in that Dak has a great line, good receivers and one of the best RBs in the league. Right now, I like what I see, but I am well aware he could fall apart the rest of the year. In fact, I believe the Cowboys are going to have a rough second half of the year, I hope not, but that is what I feel in my gut (and no, it is not gas).

System QBs do exist however. I don't think Brady falls into that category, but many QBs do. This is the reason why I believe Joe Montana seems to be missing from the GOAT conversation. He more or less had a noodle arm, but he hit everything on target from within 20 yards. That "west coast" scheme also made Young a much better QB.

lonestar2288

Reaction score
I think the Dak hate has been escalated due to the contract discussion and what his true worth is to the team. IMO, it's not a question of can he win here, because he has. Lesser QBs have had Superbowl victories, so that's not the overall concern either. Its is he worth $33+ mill a yr. IMO, while I'm not a believer in it, I concede that today's NFL dictates that's what a starting QB will soon be worth. So if Prescott's here for the next 3-5 yrs at 33-34 mil, that's fair. That being said he DOES NOT deserve the Wilson money he was rumored to want, and I'd rather him walk than be handcuffed for 3+ yrs at 38+ mill. This is considered to be a pretty good QB draft class, and there will be talent after the 1st rnd to be had IMO. Ideally, I'd like to see him franchised, see what he looks like under a new HC hopefully. I'd also use draft capital (2-4th rnd) in hopes of acquiring at the very least a legit backup QB

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
BUT BUT BUT MUH QBR

Pbbububut……...ssstttttaaaaaats don't count now. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao:

Wins don't count, stats don't count?:lmao:

What else? Anything thing else that we can laugh in your face about?

I thought you said Dak couldn't throw for 300 yards? Did you know he is averaging over 300 yards a game this year? :lmao::lmao::lmao::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Reactions: CWR

Number1

Reaction score
it was obvious 8 games into his career to tell he could ball

the people who don't know what they are looking at will never figure it out

starcity214

Reaction score
Is that the same o line that gave up 54 sacks last season?

the one that’s been middle of the pack in pass pro since Dak was drafted?

"Middle of the pack since Dak's been drafted"

Says it all..

There's no arguing that Dak rarely changes protections at the line of scrimmage.

There's no argument that Dak is proned to hold the ball untill he sees an open WR.

There's no argument that Dak often spins into sacks and tries to extend plays instead of throwing the ball away.

So let me get this straight, our ALL Pro, 4 out of 5 first round talents on it Oline suddenly forgot how to pass block ?
And, conveniently, they decided to stink up the joint right after Dak became the permanent starter..

How much sense does that make?

Pocket presence and awareness is a talent, just like armstrenght..

Some have it, some don't.

But i guess it's easier to just blame 5 guys instead of 1, especially if that one player is the one you have on a pedestal right?

Just look at that Jets game against us in wich Sam Darnold (I know, he sucks) had zero sacks in the game despite the Jets Oline being historically bad with all other QBs the Jets had.. funny how that works huh?

starcity214

Reaction score
Pbbububut……...ssstttttaaaaaats don't count now. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao:

Wins don't count, stats don't count?:lmao:

What else? Anything thing else that we can laugh in your face about?

I thought you said Dak couldn't throw for 300 yards? Did you know he is averaging over 300 yards a game this year? :lmao::lmao::lmao::clap::clap::clap::clap:

We'll see where he stands after we play the Bears, Vikings, and Patriots.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
"Middle of the pack since Dak's been drafted"

Says it all..

There's no arguing that Dak rarely changes protections at the line of scrimmage.

There's no argument that Dak is proned to hold the ball untill he sees an open WR.

There's no argument that Dak often spins into sacks and tries to extend plays instead of throwing the ball away.

So let me get this straight, our ALL Pro, 4 out of 5 first round talents on it Oline suddenly forgot how to pass block ?
And, conveniently, they decided to stink up the joint right after Dak became the permanent starter..

How much sense does that make?

Pocket presence and awareness is a talent, just like armstrenght..

Some have it, some don't.

But i guess it's easier to just blame 5 guys instead of 1, especially if that one player is the one you have on a pedestal right?

Just look at that Jets game against us in wich Sam Darnold (I know, he sucks) had zero sacks in the game despite the Jets Oline being historically bad with all other QBs the Jets had.. funny how that works huh?

Trolls like you have been saying this stuff since the first year and he has gotten better and better every year. At what point do you just admit you dont know jack about QB play?

ghst187

Reaction score
Romo wasn’t polarizing overall are you serious? Not many outside of these folks on Cowboy messageboards were saying Romo wasn’t good and we need a replacement. The same for them other players you mentioned and some of that is also some people adding their bs morality takes not really on the field play.

As far as Dak and Wentz I’ll say this time and time again this isn’t singles tennis. They don’t play each other. I wish y’all stop parroting what these idiots on tv say. Why would I cry if it didn’t work out? Use that bs logic on someone else. Check my post history on the subject of a top qb pick failing. I’ve said every time I don’t give a dang if it does fail because I think as a qb Dak is Alex Smith level at best so the potential of a Mahommes to replace Dak is worth it for me. I’m not scared like some seem to be.

Lastly people prop Smith Jr up with his W/L record but Garrett had the same record why don’t y’all prop him up like Smith jr? Dak is Vanilla Ice my man a one hit wonder. People going to be talking about that rookie year forever because chances are pretty good he never has a season like that ever again.

he’s having a better year this year passing. There’s a reason Alex Smith has had as long a career as he’s had....relativity.
Most of the QBs out there just aren’t very good which by default makes Dak better than average.
Wentz chokes, looks lost in big moments. Teammates don’t like him.
I get it you’re a riverboat gambler....I don’t think too many would be opposed to going after a guy like Lawrence if we can do it reasonably but I don’t think it will be reasonable and it won’t matter bc Jerry is sold on Dak.
And most of us remember the years between Aikman and romo. Dark days.

ghst187

Reaction score
That's the problem I think. You see those balls as on the WRs, a great many see it differently. I guarantee that if Dak were to sign for less money then expected, a lot of the people who have issue with him would not have issue. A lot of this stuff would not be of such great issue IMO. A lot of this is about the cap. A great many, IMO, see this as a situation that could be managed if you can just keep enough talent around him. Conversely, they see it as a situation that will only get worse if you can't keep that talent around him so the contract becomes front and center.

Now, many will say it's his money and he shouldn't be concerned about how the team pays other players but, the reality is that there really is only so much pie to go around and the more you pay one player, the less there is to pay others. If Dak had shown that he was the kind of QB who didn't need Pro Bowl type WR or RBs or OLs or TEs around him, if he didn't need a dominating Defense to help him win games, if he really could play to a level that circumvented any talent deficiencies, then it would be much different IMO. Even people who like Dak understand he has to have talent around him. The fear is that you don't have money for others and that is a valid concern. I don't think that it's fair to simply dismiss that concern and lump those who have these concerns as "Trolls" or "Haters" or whatever other term that is popular. Fiscal responsibility in this matter is important and I just think it's unfair to label those who land on this side of the fence, as such. I mean, these guys who say, "Pay The Man" at every opportunity are not accountable if Dak does get paid and fails. They won't have to deal with any fall out. Many of them will likely be among the loudest complainers of Dak and his contract if it becomes an anchor around the neck of the team. Meanwhile, those who are trying to be responsible, in terms of their views, get lumped into an unfair category IMO.

There is a monetary concern here. What's more, this is bad for the board IMO. I have no issue with different opinions but this pack mentality over people who have different views is not a good thing IMO. Not saying this is you, by any means, but I see this on the board more and more and it concerns me.

OK, I've gone way over time on this one, probably introduced too much into the conversation. Hope you have a great Saturday.

Totally agree, and appreciate the balanced perspective. I def don’t want to pay Dak anywhere near what we are going to.
I don’t get the extreme hatred though bc he’s played mostly pretty well for us. No he’s not worth the % of the cap we will give him but IMO he has done somethings that put him in a tier of better than average.
Sure he looks good with a good team...but he’s also led a lot of clutch drives and comebacks.
Take Cousins for example, he is same but usually chokes....Wentz...,Ryan,...Rivers.....
And then about half the leagues starting QBs are just terrible so...by relative standards, I’d take Dak over most starters currently. But you’re right, I don’t think he’s worth Wilson money or close to it.

jnday

Reaction score
All this tell you who the next before drafting them is cowards talk. Dak is average and I swear to everything I love people that use w/l record as some meaningful stat in a team game are football silly. I don't care if they are actuall HOF nfl players it doesn't make sense period. If Dak was sooo much better than average he wouldn't be as polarizing period. How polarizing are true great players in any sport? Even good players aren't really that polarizing. You don't really have a split out here on Zeke or Amari being average but little ole Dak stay polarizing. Wonder why? Garrett for all the Dak w/l junk I hate is the coach of the team so he should get some credit for that if people want to use that w/l record even moreso than Dak since the whole team and results are on him. Don't be a coward just because we have ok. Its not a good way to do things in life and as a football fan. Dak is replaceable and we don't need to know exactly who to do so. We don't use that bogus logic no other time regarding players so we aren't going to use it now.
This is a great post and it needed to be said. The fear of trying to improve the QB position over Dak is cowardice . I have never seen a fan base that is so scared of attempts to upgrade a QB. The chances are good that moving up to draft a top QB will work out well. It certainly will save the salary cap for the next several years. Even if tagging Dak for a year was needed for time to groom a new QB, it would be worth it . Most fans have said that they consider Dak average to a little above average. Only a couple of delusional fans think he is elite or on the same level as Brady . IMO, before overpaying an average QB for the next 10 years, I had much rather draft a top QB prospect that will be well worth elite money for the rest of his career because of his elite play. The worst thing to do is pay elite money to an average QB and doom the chances of the team making the playoffs for years.

HungryLion

Reaction score
This is a great post and it needed to be said. The fear of trying to improve the QB position over Dak is cowardice . I have never seen a fan base that is so scared of attempts to upgrade a QB. The chances are good that moving up to draft a top QB will work out well. It certainly will save the salary cap for the next several years. Even if tagging Dak for a year was needed for time to groom a new QB, it would be worth it . Most fans have said that they consider Dak average to a little above average. Only a couple of delusional fans think he is elite or on the same level as Brady . IMO, before overpaying an average QB for the next 10 years, I had much rather draft a top QB prospect that will be well worth elite money for the rest of his career because of his elite play. The worst thing to do is pay elite money to an average QB and doom the chances of the team making the playoffs for years.

this is one of the dumbest posts I’ve ever read. Football is entertainment. Nobody is afraid of anything.

Arguing that something isn’t smart, Isn’t the same as being afraid of it. Wanting the Cowboys to draft a QB doesn’t make you “brave” or “less afraid” than anyone else. Insinuating such a thing is utterly ridiculous and frankly idiotic.

But I’m Not surprised you aren’t able to understand the clear distinction between being afraid of something and thinking something isn’t a wise decision or in the teams best interest.

if that were the case, anybody who likes Dak could call you and others cowards who are afraid of him getting extended and costing more salary cap dollars. That would also be a dumb argument. Not wanting that doesn’t make you a coward. It just makes you wrong.

if you want to swing for the fences and draft a QB high in the first round. That’s an ok opinion to have. But far from a sure thing and could even set the team back. Recognizing that isnt cowardice. It’s just the reality of the NFL.

Last edited:

jnday

Reaction score
The question becomes, can another QB come in and move this offense with the same talent around him, that's gonna be available in the 2020 draft? If it's not going to be Dak going forward, then that's the alternative you would have to consider IMO, since Cooper Rush is not an option folks. Can a bottom of the 1st round QB (you pick the name) lead this offense, and move the chains with this OL and Zeke and Pollard running the ball, and also be able to connect with Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Witten, Jarwin consistently etc?

Not to mention, all the other responsibilities and pressure that comes with being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys.
In all fairness, those if us wanting to replace Dak would like a big trade up to get the best QB in the draft or one of the best. There are rookies that are playing well these last few years that has a lot less talent around them than this Dallas team currently has. This season has not been full of great offensive play from this team anyway. Let’s be honest , the offense has trouble moving the ball, scoring in the red zone and they are wildly inconsistent. Yes, I do blame QB play for those problems.

jnday

Reaction score
this is one of the dumbest posts I’ve ever read. Football is entertainment. Nobody is afraid of anything.

Arguing that something isn’t smart, Isn’t the same as being afraid of it. Wanting the Cowboys to draft a QB doesn’t make you “brave” or “less afraid” than anyone else. Insinuating such a thing is utterly ridiculous and frankly idiotic.

But I’m Not surprised you aren’t able to understand the clear distinction between being afraid of something and thinking something isn’t a wise decision or in the teams best interest.

if that were the case, anybody who likes Dak could call you and others cowards who are afraid of him getting extended and costing more salary cap dollars. That would also be a dumb argument. Not wanting that doesn’t make you a coward. It just makes you wrong.
My post got one of the stupidest responses in board history so there is that to think about. If you haven’t read the hundreds of responses about who would replace Dak if they moved on from him, then you are blind. Those responses are strictly out of fear of an unknown QB and being comfortable with Dak. I am not alone in saying that it was cowardice. Phil used a similar term as well when he was doing such a good job explaining the fear of moving in from Dak. It is simple . I have higher standards for Dallas QBs and you are happy with Dak. I want to see Dallas get an elite QB, you like Dak. You wouldn’t even dared replied if the Eagles hasn’t come in and played an emotionless , no effort game. to kind of make you feel good after three weeks of total offensive embarrassment led by Dak. The lesson you should take from this is not to jump in the middle of other’s attempts at sharing their thoughts. I was giving Phil credit for making a post which has nothing to do with your drivel.

HungryLion

Reaction score
My post got one of the stupidest responses in board history so there is that to think about. If you haven’t read the hundreds of responses about who would replace Dak if they moved on from him, then you are blind. Those responses are strictly out of fear of an unknown QB and being comfortable with Dak. I am not alone in saying that it was cowardice. Phil used a similar term as well when he was doing such a good job explaining the fear of moving in from Dak. It is simple . I have higher standards for Dallas QBs and you are happy with Dak. I want to see Dallas get an elite QB, you like Dak. You wouldn’t even dared replied if the Eagles hasn’t come in and played an emotionless , no effort game. to kind of make you feel good after three weeks of total offensive embarrassment led by Dak. The lesson you should take from this is not to jump in the middle of other’s attempts at sharing their thoughts. I was giving Phil credit for making a post which has nothing to do with your drivel.

I’m just letting you know. That the idea that people don’t want to get rid of Dak to draft a QB has nothing to do with being afraid. It’s that simple. It’s a dumb thought if it was posted by somebody else too.

It has nothing to do with fear. Its because people think it’s a bad idea or not in the teams best interest.

You think it’s a good idea. That’s fine. That doesn’t make you “not afraid” or “not a coward”. Thinking it has anything to do with cowardice is just plain ridiculous.

You’re also posting on a public messageboard. I’m not “jumping in the middle” of anything. If you and Phil want to talk to each other about how much braver you both are than other people without other people commenting. I suggest you use the private message system.

jnday

Reaction score
I’m just letting you know. That the idea that people don’t want to get rid of Dak to draft a QB has nothing to do with being afraid. It’s that simple. It’s a dumb thought if it was posted by somebody else too.

It has nothing to do with fear. Its because people think it’s a bad idea or not in the teams best interest.

You think it’s a good idea. That’s fine. That doesn’t make you “not afraid” or “not a coward”. Thinking it has anything to do with cowardice is just plain ridiculous.

You’re also posting on a public messageboard. I’m not “jumping in the middle” of anything. If you and Phil want to talk to each other about how much braver you both are than other people without other people commenting. I suggest you use the private message system.
Again, Phil used “coward “ and I used it communicating with him. Have you posted a jerky post for him too? Why do you think I give a damn about your feelings about replacing Dak.? As I said , I was complementing Phil on a great post where he explained his feeling about some those that wanted to keep Dak. Apparently it don’t apply to you . That’s all well and good so you can move on.