Is anyone still questioning if Dak can be The Guy?

jnday

Reaction score
Its funny how many people here hate on Dak. You do not need an " Elite" Qb to win in the NFL . Dak is a good QB and easily has the skills to take home a Lombardi. So many people always stuck on what round a player is drafted at .... Anyone that has seen enough or knows football takes draft number with a grain of salt. Because NO one knows if a player can transition into the NFL with 100% assured.

Cowboys if the dont win this year screwed themselves bigtime as they wasted the best thing they had with Dak... the low cost of a 4th round draft pick. But Cowboys love to screw up contracts and ate so much dead cap in 2017 then again in 2018 " not as bad as 2017 " you could of loaded up on FAs to fill every dam hole on the roster with above-average starters.

In Daks defense , he is stuck with the scheme that the OC/HC come up with. Dak can only do so much ..... He cant help injuries, suspensions or other side of ball screwing up. All Qbs run into this problem ... example " everyones here fav " Wentz , his WRs lead the NFL in drops ... its almost a sick joke. Their season would be looking a ton different if was not for WRs dropping passes like they get paid to do so. MY point to all this is , Dak is a good QB , count your blessings you did not go into QB hell after Romo left. Cowboys for the most part have been very fortunate with the most important position in the game last 30 years
You may not have to have an elite QB to go to a Super Bowl, but it helps to have a QB that is better than average. Looking for an upgrade should not be a problem either .

jnday

Reaction score
I think Dak at this point has elevated his game. He is a good but not great quarterback and realistically, its pretty hard to find those guys. Giving him up would be painful and it would not be easy to replace him. With a very good team around him, I think he could win titles.

Forgive me if I am a broken record because I have said this in multiple threads. The NFL overvalues qb's. I don't know why.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_starting_quarterbacks

Just going over that list quickly, in the last 15 years, out of the 30 QB's:
16 of them were on their rookie contracts
7 of them were on the Tom Brady discount
2 were cheap journeymen (Hasselbeck, Warner)
5 were on full extensions making "fair market value" (Eli, Peytonx2, Ben, etc.)

As you can see, most of these QB's who get big extensions never sniff the super bowl. I submit that its because it forces their teams to compromise in other positions.

The question about giving Dak $35m per year is a tough one. Its likely a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.
Considering Dak’s play without Zeke, Cooper and others, it is damned if you do because they can not afford the talent for him to win.

Birdgang

Reaction score
For the most part you need an elite qb to win it all of a hell of a defense or both. Don’t believe me check the SB winners and get back to me. Y’all Dak groupies need to realize he isn’t the answer even though as long as he’s starting here I hope he proves me wrong.

Im furthest of a Dak groupie ..... as I am a birds fan. I just give my unbiased outside opinion. But sure group me in as a groupie :D

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Considering Dak’s play without Zeke, Cooper and others, it is damned if you do because they can not afford the talent for him to win.

Agreed. That said, if they get some crappy QB to replace him you will end up wasting the careers of a bunch of good players. That's the damned if you don't part of that equation.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Every player in the NFL needs quality players around them to be successful. That's why it's a team sport. Taking away the biggest weapons a QB has and then suggesting they should just simply still play at a high level isn't reasonable with regard to how the sport works.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score

I would really like to see how some "elite" QB's perform with a receiving corps of Allen Hurns, Terrance Williams, and Deonte Thompson; like Dak had in early 2018.

It's like going back to the 1990's and taking Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, and Jay Novacek away from Troy Aikman and saying okay number 8, go win three Super Bowls.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
This isn't a bash-Dak thread. Nor is it an overly supportive thread.

Just a general inquiry to see if there is anyone still out there who believe Dak isn't such a liability that he can't be our starter and/or shouldn't be re-signed.

Prior to this season, for good reason, a lot of us questioned it; for sure. We all know what I'm talking about - no need to comb through the details.

To me, he's been very steady and consistent this year. We used to think he was the one who's holding the team back, or that he's just a game manager. But now, even in our losses, I don't think we're looking at Dak as the reason for the loss.

What say you? Anybody still not seen enough to be comfortable moving forward with him at $33-35 mil/yr?

He's proven that he is starter worthy IMO. I still wouldn't pay him $40 mil. I'm the cautious type, and want to see more. On one hand I feel that he has improved his game a lot from last year, on the other hand I want to see if teams can still game plan against him and how he holds up to the elite teams.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Seriously. Only Dak can't have weapons. Even Brady and Rodgers have had weapons and strong O-Lines.

I think you guys misunderstand what some people are saying. It's not that they are saying that Dak can't have weapons. It is more criticism where it seems that some homers go: Wah! Wah! Dak didn't do good because this player is injured or that player is injured. It is quite annoying to hear all the whining and excuses, especially when you are the type of person that doesn't like any excuses when your team loses. They lose, then they deserve to lose, usually. Here usually it is a bad performance even by some people's man crush. It's not like we hear someone whine after a single loss, the same people whine again and again and use the same excuse for every loss. That just irks some people.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
#1 in QBR

#8 in passer rating

1st place in NFC East

But have the village idiots tell it and he’s been a total bum who’s no better than Cooper Rush.

I can tolerate people singing high praises more when we are better than 4-3. Dak's not a total bum but at 4-3 he ain't the Messiah some people make him out to be either.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Im furthest of a Dak groupie ..... as I am a birds fan. I just give my unbiased outside opinion. But sure group me in as a groupie :D
Oh you're an Eagles fan? You're unbiased outside opinion based on some slurping Dak? You live in Philly because if so I'm pretty sure you're one of those Kinsington weirdos.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I can tolerate people singing high praises more when we are better than 4-3. Dak's not a total bum but at 4-3 he ain't the Messiah some people make him out to be either.
I think it's more important as a fan to distinguish what actually lost those games.

jnday

Reaction score
Every player in the NFL needs quality players around them to be successful. That's why it's a team sport. Taking away the biggest weapons a QB has and then suggesting they should just simply still play at a high level isn't reasonable with regard to how the sport works.
There are QBs that can carry teams from time to time. Dak gets carried. That is the problem.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
There are QBs that can carry teams from time to time. Dak gets carried. That is the problem.
BS. From time to time? Like when? When has Prescott been the culprit of this team losing? I can invite examples of him doing the exact opposite. More times than not. Carrying a team is a complete BS myth. You cannot provide any facts of the contrary other than a bad game here or there, where it was because of him. If at all.
What there is evidence of is solid programs where the starting QB is out of the picture and the TEAM still finds ways to win.

starcity214

Reaction score
he’s having a better year this year passing. There’s a reason Alex Smith has had as long a career as he’s had....relativity.
Most of the QBs out there just aren’t very good which by default makes Dak better than average.
Wentz chokes, looks lost in big moments. Teammates don’t like him.
I get it you’re a riverboat gambler....I don’t think too many would be opposed to going after a guy like Lawrence if we can do it reasonably but I don’t think it will be reasonable and it won’t matter bc Jerry is sold on Dak.
And most of us remember the years between Aikman and romo. Dark days.

People Keep thinking that Jerry is "Sold" on Dak, yet he still hasn't signed..

Do you think jerry cares about a 5 million difference?

And, The fact that they signed Zeke tp that deal shows that they don't mind giving out the big contracts to players if they deserve it.

But keep telling yourself that.

Did they tell Zeke to take a team friendly deal?
You think they're going to tell Amari to take less? Of course not.. the team Knows Dak is the one benefiting from being the QB of America's Team and not the other way around..