Is anyone still questioning if Dak can be The Guy?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
This isn't a bash-Dak thread. Nor is it an overly supportive thread.

Just a general inquiry to see if there is anyone still out there who believe Dak isn't such a liability that he can't be our starter and/or shouldn't be re-signed.

Prior to this season, for good reason, a lot of us questioned it; for sure. We all know what I'm talking about - no need to comb through the details.

To me, he's been very steady and consistent this year. We used to think he was the one who's holding the team back, or that he's just a game manager. But now, even in our losses, I don't think we're looking at Dak as the reason for the loss.

What say you? Anybody still not seen enough to be comfortable moving forward with him at $33-35 mil/yr?

I am an original Dak supporter. Yes. Sign him to a market rate. 40 million is just stupid.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's hard to say what is "good enough" anymore. We're frustrated, we want more SuperBowl championships so we want elite level quarterbacking which is pretty hard to come by. When you see Aaron Rogers' dazzling skills coupled with the sycophantic officiating like the Packers are royalty it makes you think that's the only way to win it all, but I think Dak can be good enough if Dallas can provide a top defense and good skill players,,, Dak needs to be reasonable in the contract demands.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Jimmy didn't build another Superbowl team without Jerry's cache..

Only one of them is in the NFL football HOF

So what is your point?

Jerry's success came in a time before the cap and Jimmy's trade plan.

I never said anything about Jimmy, now did I? Jerry isn't in the HOF for being a GM, he's in for being an owner and what he did for the league in terms of business. Everyone knows he has held this team back since the late 90s.

You don't know what you're talking about. This is probably the first time since like 98 that I've actually seen someone trying to defend Jerry.

Qcard

Reaction score
Jerry's success came in a time before the cap and Jimmy's trade plan.

I never said anything about Jimmy, now did I? Jerry isn't in the HOF for being a GM, he's in for being an owner and what he did for the league in terms of business. Everyone knows he has held this team back since the late 90s.

You don't know what you're talking about. This is probably the first time since like 98 that I've actually seen someone trying to defend Jerry.
You didn't have to mention Jimmy but you confirmed my assumption ("Jimmy trade plan") in you first sentence reply.

How did Jimmy's trade plans with full control in Miami workout...an aging Marino to boot

Jerry is a HOF he doesn't need defending. Cowboys have had one GM since Landry left. If he gets the current blame then he gets the past credit too. Can't have it both ways...

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You didn't have to mention Jimmy but you confirmed my assumption ("Jimmy trade plan") in you first sentence reply.

How did Jimmy's trade plans with full control in Miami workout...an aging Marino to boot

Jerry is a HOF he doesn't need defending. Cowboys have had one GM since Landry left. If he gets the current blame then he gets the past credit too. Can't have it both ways...

I gave both Jerry and Jimmy credit there, maybe read the entire sentence....

The era we built the early 90s Cowboys was before the cap limited what Jerry could do. After that, he had to work within the cap, he also focused on skill positions and handed out a ton of different contracts - he pretended like he had unlimited money to spend, and it led into the dark years post-Aikman (it was bad before then) and we had a playoff win drought from 96 to 2009. That's a pretty dang long stretch for someone you are claiming is a great GM....

And LOL of course Jimmy wasn't going to hit on a trade like that a second time - and Marino was in the twilight of his career. You get they both retired together, right? I mean, I don't understand what other way to explain this. You already got the reason he's in the HOF and it's not due to his GM abilities. Jerry didn't come up with the trade in the 90s, that was Jimmy. This is well documented.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/11619469

Try again.

jnday

Reaction score

Just a general inquiry to see if there is anyone still out there who believe Dak isn't such a liability that he can't be our starter and/or shouldn't be re-signed.

Prior to this season, for good reason, a lot of us questioned it; for sure. We all know what I'm talking about - no need to comb through the details.

To me, he's been very steady and consistent this year. We used to think he was the one who's holding the team back, or that he's just a game manager. But now, even in our losses, I don't think we're looking at Dak as the reason for the loss.

What say you? Anybody still not seen enough to be comfortable moving forward with him at $33-35 mil/yr?
If anything, this season has reminded me why I don’t want him as the starting QB in Dallas.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

A large percentage of us do.....and we're growing by every inept offensive game we have....

hqdefault.jpg

ghst187

Reaction score
While I have tons of heartburn about giving him a big contract he’s plenty good enough for us to win even a SB. I don’t understand the people that constantly bash him, he’s far from perfect but he’s pretty good. I get the feeling that if Mahomes was our QB the same folks would be saying the same things about him. Watch games, those guys miss throws, miss reads, toss INTs, and get sacked too. There was even a season when folks were saying Aaron Rodgers was struggling and may be at the end. Heck a good chunk of Daks INTs this year have been the 100% fault of the Wr. IMO he moves the team really well and generally takes care of the ball. We haven’t averaged this many PPG since Romo to TO. The bottom line is as far as reasons we won’t win a SB go...Dak is a LONG way down on that list.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Dak Prescott is another Jacoby Brissett/ Kyle Allen.

Nothing more nothing less.

If people hate Jeff Heath (the Dak Prescott of safeties) why do they tolerate Dak?
They tolerate Dak because most people are lazy and parrot whatever the popular narrative is. Not just fans but teams themselves. Attaching themselves to average QBs when like you said at any other position the team and the fans would be like this person is average at best. Nobody tries to hype up a Heath even if makes a play or two here and there and tell us about his w/l record. That’s strictly qb non sense that don’t apply to any other player but some love trot that junk out here.

Section446

Reaction score
Jury is still out, I still don't like the idea of paying him $40 million/year.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
While I have tons of heartburn about giving him a big contract he’s plenty good enough for us to win even a SB. I don’t understand the people that constantly bash him, he’s far from perfect but he’s pretty good. I get the feeling that if Mahomes was our QB the same folks would be saying the same things about him. Watch games, those guys miss throws, miss reads, toss INTs, and get sacked too. There was even a season when folks were saying Aaron Rodgers was struggling and may be at the end. Heck a good chunk of Daks INTs this year have been the 100% fault of the Wr. IMO he moves the team really well and generally takes care of the ball. We haven’t averaged this many PPG since Romo to TO. The bottom line is as far as reasons we won’t win a SB go...Dak is a LONG way down on that list.
Just say you’re a Dak lover on the football field and be done with it. This remedial qb has folks giving out every excuse for why nothing is his fault. Y’all treat him like a good looking girl y’all sucking up to. If he had better ball placement he might have less ints. Also why do you Dak fans always do this super disingenuous thing of saying everybody misses throws, reads, etc like people say you have to make every play? Y’all are trying to eliminate criticism by pushing this junk. Show a poster that has said no qb makes mistakes at all. You can’t find it because it don’t exist.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
LOL Watson has a higher rating than Dak right now. So, obviously no, Dak is more inconsistent, especially since he had a perfect rating in his first week and has dropped so far.

And Wilson a "system guy" - Yes, a system where he plays behind a piss poor offensive line. You're out of your freakin' mind dude. Wilson will be an MVP this year, Dak will never get that title. Never.

AY mijo. Out of my mind I am not. I was not on the Dak train until this year. I actually played QB all the way through HS, so I am basing what I see I what I know and have learned. I was too small to play in college, but I would like to think I have at least some knowledge of the position and how an offense works. Do me a favor and re-watch the Texans games and watch how Watson plays. He is good, but when you blame Dak for errant passes and off the mark throws, you will see a lot more of that with Watson. They both are good, but what I have seen from Dak so far gives me confidence. Could he poop the bed the rest of the way--sure. I hope not, but it is a possibility. All I am saying is the right now, I would take very few QBs over Dak. As far as Wilson is concerned, you are probably right. I just don't particularly like the guy that much.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
AY mijo. Out of my mind I am not. I was not on the Dak train until this year. I actually played QB all the way through HS, so I am basing what I see I what I know and have learned. I was too small to play in college, but I would like to think I have at least some knowledge of the position and how an offense works. Do me a favor and re-watch the Texans games and watch how Watson plays. He is good, but when you blame Dak for errant passes and off the mark throws, you will see a lot more of that with Watson. They both are good, but what I have seen from Dak so far gives me confidence. Could he poop the bed the rest of the way--sure. I hope not, but it is a possibility. All I am saying is the right now, I would take very few QBs over Dak. As far as Wilson is concerned, you are probably right. I just don't particularly like the guy that much.

All that QB experience, and you think Wilson is a "system QB" LOL

But not Dak though. Plug him in anywhere and he'd be the best. Gosh, if only the Browns had this mighty Dak with the talent to play in any system.