Is Bennett just immature or just dumb?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2189886 said:
The high school stuff is relevant, because it shows a consistent theme and pattern of general infantile behavior over several years. It's not just one clip on Hard Knocks. It's not just one episode of overblown "body language" in a practice. He's been this way through high school, through college and now into his first training camp. So I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to change now.

so you're saying he can change?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
after reading through this thread one thing is for sure.

Roy Williams loves Martellus Bennett being on the team.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Lets hope he gets a real wakeup call and settles down. The good thing is that he is NOT in a critical position and we can afford a bust there.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
With the NFL Films crews wanting him to talk about his time in camp he had this to offer: "I just want to go home. I miss my dogs and my house."

Great, just, great. A momma's boy. :rolleyes: :(

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2189886 said:
The high school stuff is relevant, because it shows a consistent theme and pattern of general infantile behavior over several years. It's not just one clip on Hard Knocks. It's not just one episode of overblown "body language" in a practice. He's been this way through high school, through college and now into his first training camp. So I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to change now.

I'm not expecting all Cowboy players (or 20 year olds) to be choir boys, but at least be a non-choir boy who enjoys football. Bennett has never showed any interest in cashing his incredible God given gifts. This really isn't even like Antonio Bryant ... some headcase you draft hoping he grows up a little bit, because he's was an incredibly productive player in college. Bennett was nothing more than mediocre in college. Wade gave the ultimate spin job when he said he was "laid back" like Earl Campbell. He's the exact opposite of 'laid back'. He's extroverted, energetic, talkative, boisterous ... he's just appears 'laid back" on the football field, because he would rather be doing other things. His 'body language' is that of a pouting child who's angry he has to do his choirs, when he would rather be playing video games.
So you are the same person that you were in High School? College? Last year?

People change, it happens all the time. If you say the kid can't change based on what he exhibited in the past then we have to agree to disagree because my life experiences has taught me otherwise.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2189963 said:
Great, just, great. A momma's boy. :rolleyes: :(

See, I don't have a probelm with him saying he wants to go home. Maybe he should have did an interview with HBO, but after a long practice I can't blame him for wanting to just go home. Now the other stuff, ie being late for practice for personal reasons, the drops, are another thing, but just wanting to go home after practice I don't really see a problem with that

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
This just goes to prove that some fans, when things with the team are going very good, will dig as deep as they can to find something negative to talk about.

Unreal :laugh2:

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
5Countem5;2190170 said:
This just goes to prove that some fans, when things with the team are going very good, will dig as deep as they can to find something negative to talk about.

Unreal :laugh2:

It truly is.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5Countem5;2190170 said:

Unreal

Yeah, because there's not a shred of truth here and it's all been made up as part of some conspiracy against an innocent victim......

:rolleyes:

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
stasheroo;2190198 said:
Yeah, because there's not a shred of truth here and it's all been made up as part of some conspiracy against an innocent victim......

If it's negative it can't can't be true. :D

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
stasheroo;2190198 said:

Who said that?

My post was referring to the over-reaction of posters not the truthfulness in the reports...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5Countem5;2190204 said:
Who said that?

My post was referring to the over-reaction of posters not the truthfulness in the reports...

If the information is accurate, why are negative posts overreacting?

If someone is calling for the guy to be cut, to me that's overreacting.

But if they're voicing their displeasure with the early reviews of this player, I don't think that's overreacting.

There hasn't been one occurence regarding this player, but a pattern.

A pattern which apparently existed before the Cowboys decided to draft him.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
stasheroo;2190206 said:
If the information is accurate, why are negative posts overreacting?

If someone is calling for the guy to be cut, to me that's overreacting.

But if they're voicing their displeasure with the early reviews of this player, I don't think that's overreacting.

There hasn't been one occurence regarding this player, but a pattern.

A pattern which apparently existed before the Cowboys decided to draft him.

"A pattern which apparently existed before the Cowboys decided to draft him."

Exactly, the Cowboys are getting exactly what they bargained for. They knew all about him and took him anyway- no surprises. They felt his "problems" were worth the talent they saw- which is more than any of us know.

I don't care if someo0ne wants to disagree with the pick but people acting like this is a big deal this year and worth all the hand-wringing are really cracking me up.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5Countem5;2190239 said:
"A pattern which apparently existed before the Cowboys decided to draft him."

Exactly, the Cowboys are getting exactly what they bargained for. They knew all about him and took him anyway- no surprises. They felt his "problems" were worth the talent they saw- which is more than any of us know.

I don't care if someo0ne wants to disagree with the pick but people acting like this is a big deal this year and worth all the hand-wringing are really cracking me up.

I guess it comes down to a difference of opinion.

You may not see it as a big deal, while others - like me - are disappointed that the Cowboys knew about his 'issues' and drafted him anyway, and those issues seem to be accurate and continuing.

It's doubly frustrating for someone like me who was against drafting a TE rather than WR in round 2.

I thought that Curtis was doing a fine job and could have assumed the backup TE role, and the team had Hannah as the #3.

I didn't see a need to use such a high draft pick on a TE and the recent 'issues' make things worse to me.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
CATCH17;2188818 said:
Whats going to be hilarious is when they show a clip of Martellus on Hard Knocks working hard and everyone will be like "Wow he changed"!

"John Garrett is doing wonders for this kid"

oh man.... :lmao:

i just crack up at how people see something and suddenly, they know all about the person. they know his mindset leading up to what they saw, his week before that, personal issues he may be going through -

no. he says he misses his dogs and wants to go home. kidding right? when i moved to orlando after college i missed EVERYTHING about where i was and everything was so new. thankfully the world gave me time to learn and improve, not wrote me off cause i was having a hard time adjusting.

chill out people. i swear to GOD some of you would be a huge PITA to watch a movie with cause you'll start guessing the entire story in the first minute then get all judgemental on how badly the movie was written.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
stasheroo;2190264 said:
I guess it comes down to a difference of opinion.

You may not see it as a big deal, while others - like me - are disappointed that the Cowboys knew about his 'issues' and drafted him anyway, and those issues seem to be accurate and continuing.

It's doubly frustrating for someone like me who was against drafting a TE rather than WR in round 2.

I thought that Curtis was doing a fine job and could have assumed the backup TE role, and the team had Hannah as the #3.

I didn't see a need to use such a high draft pick on a TE and the recent 'issues' make things worse to me.

I feel sure that they knew his "issues" and I also feel sure that they knew those "issues" would not disappear 3 weeks into training camp. I doubt the FO and coaches are freaking out like this board is, but that's just a guess.

If you disagree with a pick for that position- that's well and good. But, I also think they saw the potential and decided it was worth the risk. And all complaining aside, no one knows right now how this deal will turn out so making predictions one way or the other is a little silly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5Countem5;2190286 said:
I feel sure that they knew his "issues" and I also feel sure that they knew those "issues" would not disappear 3 weeks into training camp. I doubt the FO and coaches are freaking out like this board is, but that's just a guess.

I'm not 'freaking out' personally, more like complaining.

5Countem5 said:
If you disagree with a pick for that position- that's well and good. But, I also think they saw the potential and decided it was worth the risk. And all complaining aside, no one knows right now how this deal will turn out so making predictions one way or the other is a little silly.

No we don't and nothing anyone says here will change things. I'm just griping because this reminds me of the Fasano pick two years ago. I hated that pick too and remember hearing all the team's talk and about how I was wrong in my stance.

Turns out that I was right and the team was wrong on that one. I'm just worried about a case of deja' vu I guess.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
stasheroo;2190297 said:
I'm not 'freaking out' personally, more like complaining.

No we don't and nothing anyone says here will change things. I'm just griping because this reminds me of the Fasano pick two years ago. I hated that pick too and remember hearing all the team's talk and about how I was wrong in my stance.

Turns out that I was right and the team was wrong on that one. I'm just worried about a case of deja' vu I guess.

it's possible. he could also be a young kid w/o any real world experiences to build off of and yes, needs to mature. i did as i'm sure most of us who've gone through it had to mature through our own experiences also. while you can be concerned and rightfully/naturally so - it's premature to say he won't shake out of it or a light won't come on.

not sure what worrying about it will accomplish. i do think a lot of the worrying people do comes down to "emotional insurance" that a pats fan coined last year and i stole.

if we fail we've id'd reasons for that in advance to make ourselves feel better cause we saw it coming.

not sure how accurate that is but it seems to make sense from a pyschological point of view.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg;2190306 said:
it's possible. he could also be a young kid w/o any real world experiences to build off of and yes, needs to mature. i did as i'm sure most of us who've gone through it had to mature through our own experiences also. while you can be concerned and rightfully/naturally so - it's premature to say he won't shake out of it or a light won't come on.

Yeah, the optimist in me is chalking it up to immaturity and hoping that the work ethic of guys like Witten will be a positive influence.

iceberg said:
not sure what worrying about it will accomplish. i do think a lot of the worrying people do comes down to "emotional insurance" that a pats fan coined last year and i stole.

if we fail we've id'd reasons for that in advance to make ourselves feel better cause we saw it coming.

not sure how accurate that is but it seems to make sense from a pyschological point of view.

I'm not getting that deep into it.

Part of this reminds me of the whole Matt Jones campaign (sorry in advance for bringing it up!). Jones had all the athletic ability in the world, but a lackadaisical, laid-back approach held him back and was the focal point of most Jags fans' venom directed toward him.