Is Bennett just immature or just dumb?

dogberry

Reaction score
If we need a second TE to block, do we use Curtis, Bennett, or bring in Free?

peck-sicilyisland

Reaction score
If that's the way he felt, than that's it,The man want's to go home,like all the rest of the players, and coaches, and owner.So don't make a big deal out of it.Nobody likes training camp,except some of the people posting here.

cowboyz

Reaction score
peck-sicilyisland;2189511 said:
If that's the way he felt, than that's it,The man want's to go home,like all the rest of the players, and coaches, and owner.So don't make a big deal out of it.Nobody likes training camp,except some of the people posting here.
yeah i dont get what's the big deal on the quote. so what he didn't want to give an interview to hard knocks.

maybe he saw himself on there and decided not to participate. or maybe he just wanted to go home

if you go back to the game, he was pretty good at run blocking.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
stasheroo;2188851 said:
For me, this all goes back to the draft:

I had no problem with the Fasano trade because I thought it was a mistake when they drafted him.

And I thought that Curtis played well enough to be the #2 TE behind Witten.

So I was against drafting a TE in the second round as I felt WR was a bigger need (still do).

And now all of the negative news, clips, and reports make me feel even more strongly that this pick was a mistake.

And I could never honestly expect the team to admit it, so I don't see how anyone else could.

:yourock: :bow:

I agree with this post sooooooooooooo much it's not even funny how right I think you are.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Chief;2188878 said:
To me, the comments by Ciskowski in the war room on draft day speak volumes. The scouts do a ton of research on these guys (including their personalities and mental makeup) and here was Dallas' top scout issueing a warning about Bennett. He talked about he how he has to be pushed and you have to put your foot on his throat and tell him how it's going to be.

Then, we see on Hard Knocks the tight ends coach trying to coach the guy and Bennett is responding like a pouting 2-year-old. The coach is telling him to tuck the ball, tuck the ball.

Then, the first preseason game, he doesn't tuck the ball and it's knocked loose for an imcompletion.

It amazes me that teams still don't put enough emphasis on a player's passion for the game and his competitiveness when drafting.

I've been a Cowboys fan for almost 40 years. I've seen them pick guys like Rod Hill, Jesse Penn, Kevin Brooks, Bill Thomas, Howard Richards ... players that had tons of ability, but didn't have the heart to succeed.

And still it continues.

Even after their head personnel guy warned them.

Oh, and we were told back then that Jesse Penn just needed some more maturity, that Kevin Brooks would get it turned around next year, etc. Jesse was taller, faster and more athletic than a guy like Mike Singletary, we were told.

You either have the drive and the passion to succeed, or you don't. It's rarely something that can be developed.

/rant

good post

but sometimes you take these kind of risks in the hopes that the player gets it, and fulfills his vast potential

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2189729 said:
good post

but sometimes you take these kind of risks in the hopes that the player gets it, and fulfills his vast potential

However in a case like this.....

Witten > his vast potential

so no matter what it doesn't make sense.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2189739 said:
However in a case like this.....

Witten > his vast potential

so no matter what it doesn't make sense.

except for our coaches want to run alot of 2-TE formations, they want Bennett to be the Hback, which is basically a pumped-up WR

this isn't about Bennett being better than Witten or not, just him helping to make our O more dynamic

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2189740 said:
except for our coaches want to run alot of 2-TE formations, they want Bennett to be the Hback, which is basically a pumped-up WR

this isn't about Bennett being better than Witten or not, just him helping to make our O more dynamic

I guess I still don't think a 2nd TE in the 2nd round again was the right call. At least not Bennett there were better TE's than him.

Mash

Reaction score
Lets just give this kid some time......

Everyone knew about his attitude problems or his lack luster demeanor but scouts and draft guru's had this kid rated pretty high.

I find it funny that....when we draft the best available player....we still get blasted and some even wanted to reach or overpay to move up for a WR that wouldn't crack the top 3 in the WR rotation.

Lets just see how this kid develops......If we can give Carp three years....we can at least give this kid one. :)

I dont like what im hearing also but ....these things can change....We all witnessed how TO has become a great team player....

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Mash;2189762 said:
Lets just give this kid some time......

Everyone knew about his attitude problems or his lack luster demeanor but scouts and draft guru's had this kid rated pretty high.

I find it funny that....when we draft the best available player....we still get blasted and some even wanted to reach or overpay to move up for a WR that wouldn't crack the top 3 in the WR rotation.

Lets just see how this kid develops......If we can give Carp three years....we can at least give this kid one. :)

I dont like what im hearing also but ....these things can change....We all witnessed how TO has become a great team player....

I'm not bemoaning the Bennett pick...yet, the dude has 3 years in my book

but I wouldn't have minded it if Jerry got his wish and traded up to get Limas Sweed, he looks pretty good

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2189776 said:
I'm not bemoaning the Bennett pick...yet, the dude has 3 years in my book

but I wouldn't have minded it if Jerry got his wish and traded up to get Limas Sweed, he looks pretty good

man Sweed Hardy Thomas or Kelley could have been good for us.

I would only give Bennett a year if he can't beat out Curtis he shouldn't be on the team.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2189781 said:
man Sweed Hardy Thomas or Kelley could have been good for us.

I haven't really read or seen much of those guys, just Sweed

don't really want Kelly now, since it looks like the reports that his knees are messed up, are true

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...made on a roster are based on the type of personality the coach is.

As it was made mention by Parcells everyone has their "pet cat" or what I like to refer as their "soft spot".

It never is a player, but rather it is a type of situation that can applied over and over in differing years.

Some guys love physical potential and they can't get beyond that.

Others love mental intensity and will lean towards that 9 time out of 10 in light of physical talent.

In reality coach's move back and forth along the spectrum based on previous successes or failures. There are lifelong tendencies, but they can be easily overcome by flavours of the month.

That's why I lean towards the possibility that the drafting process can move somewhat towards a number value system based on key characteristics.

Coaches should be graded year to year on their accuracy for predicting a player's success on those qualities and the grades should weight how much their opinion counts.

In the end you should have a number value that can be placed on a player as a tool to prevent "pet cats" from being picked.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2189783 said:

Thomas and Kelley have been hurt. I think hardy had a TD on one catch for 16 yards.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob Sacamano;2189783 said:

don't really want Kelly now, since it looks like the reports that his knees are messed up, are true

Sweed was the guy I had wanted.

What have you seen or read about him?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
stasheroo;2189791 said:
Sweed was the guy I had wanted.

What have you seen or read about him?

someone posted here that he's looked great in Pittsburgh's camp

he's a nice red-zone target and looked it once, but the QB overthrew him

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
davidyee;2189787 said:
...made on a roster are based on the type of personality the coach is.

As it was made mention by Parcells everyone has their "pet cat" or what I like to refer as their "soft spot".

It never is a player, but rather it is a type of situation that can applied over and over in differing years.

Some guys love physical potential and they can't get beyond that.

Others love mental intensity and will lean towards that 9 time out of 10 in light of physical talent.

In reality coach's move back and forth along the spectrum based on previous successes or failures. There are lifelong tendencies, but they can be easily overcome by flavours of the month.

That's why I lean towards the possibility that the drafting process can move somewhat towards a number value system based on key characteristics.

Coaches should be graded year to year on their accuracy for predicting a player's success on those qualities and the grades should weight how much their opinion counts.

In the end you should have a number value that can be placed on a player as a tool to prevent "pet cats" from being picked.

I disagree about the coaches grades being based on players success cuz a lot of different things can happen. Even players that project well turn out bad and theres hidden finds like Marcus Colston.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
superpunk;2188819 said:
So you're fired up because for some unknown reason he's become everyone's camp whipping boy, and because of some unverified quote that (even if it is accurate and attributed correctly) is completely useless without context.

It's like, come on.

Why think when the media can do it for you.

Reaction score
As I've stated in a previous thread, my problem is not so much with Bennett. He is who he is, an immature, selfish kid. I'll raise my hand to say I was the same way at his age, unfortunately.

What got me hot was that the top scout warned Jerry & Co. about the whole boot on his neck thing, and they took him in the SECOND ROUND! This is the type of kid you take late on the second DAY. "All talent, no heart...no big deal, it's only a 7th rounder".

I just hope for my team's sake that something clicks real soon with Martellus, & he follows #82 wherever he goes. No way he could go wrong shadowing Witten.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
adbutcher;2189229 said:
Hell we have some here condemning him for stuff he did in High School.

The high school stuff is relevant, because it shows a consistent theme and pattern of general infantile behavior over several years. It's not just one clip on Hard Knocks. It's not just one episode of overblown "body language" in a practice. He's been this way through high school, through college and now into his first training camp. So I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to change now.

I'm not expecting all Cowboy players (or 20 year olds) to be choir boys, but at least be a non-choir boy who enjoys football. Bennett has never showed any interest in cashing his incredible God given gifts. This really isn't even like Antonio Bryant ... some headcase you draft hoping he grows up a little bit, because he's was an incredibly productive player in college. Bennett was nothing more than mediocre in college. Wade gave the ultimate spin job when he said he was "laid back" like Earl Campbell. He's the exact opposite of 'laid back'. He's extroverted, energetic, talkative, boisterous ... he's just appears 'laid back" on the football field, because he would rather be doing other things. His 'body language' is that of a pouting child who's angry he has to do his choirs, when he would rather be playing video games.