Is Dak a so-called bus driver?

RoboQB

Reaction score
Is there something wrong with being a bus driver? A bus driver can be unstoppable if he is driving a bad enough bus. So, I think a better question is how bad is our bus? I think the diver is not our weak link. So, pay the man and let's fill some holes through the draft. S, DT, RB

It's not fair to change the term "bus driver".
If everyone is being honest, they know the difference.
When you're unstoppable, you're not driving a bus.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dak is a mediocre pocket passer, but pretty good rolling left or right, and a good and sturdy runner.

If you use everything he's got, you've got a good QB. If you use him as a pocket passer, you've got a mediocre pocket passer.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
No. We will know for sure this year with an OC that will take the training wheels off and open up the passing offense.

Let's see if Linehan called stick routes for Dak because those are the only routes he can throw reliably, Linehan was just being dumb.

My money is on the latter, but let's see it.

GMO415

Reaction score
Dak is a winner! Unlike all these other overpaid QBs....

Flamma

Reaction score
You are exactly right. These posters that have to look back at the QBs in the NFL that played in different eras when the running game was dominating are really stretching it thin to defend Dak. It has been said many times that Aikman would have numbers out of this world if he played in the current pass-happy league. Aikman has the accuracy and pocket presence that Dak doesn’t possess. A 200 yard passing game in today’s game is an embarrassment. There was many rules that had changed to make the passing game easier in the last few years.

I agree with you in regards to Dak. I don't defend him, but for different reasons. Don't get too caught up in the rule changes. Yes the rule changes play a role in making the passing game easier, but the driving force as to why the passing game has exploded is the salary cap. Teams can no longer stack impact players on defense so the majority of the league has average to poor defenses. In comes a really good quarterback and he just picks them apart week in and week out. Peyton Manning is a good example of what happens to a quarterback of this era playing cookie cutter defenses all year and then running into the 2013 Seahawks. He was not ready.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The difference though is that Romo didn’t necessarily struggle producing without a more elite surrounding support . The team just struggled winning.

In fact Romo actually elevated less than Elite talent around him. 2014 was his most effective season but not most productive in passing because we didn’t need his passing production as much to carry the offense.
Yes he did. Without HOF WRs/TEs and a Romo friendly O line and highly productive running game he did struggle. Without those productive players he wouldn't have been productive.
Romo struggled from day one.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes he did. Without HOF WRs/TEs and a Romo friendly O line and highly productive running game he did struggle. Without those productive players he wouldn't have been productive.
Romo struggled from day one.
Yes there were struggles but he was still productive even when the team wasn’t . And he was still productive thru the struggles when not always surrounded by as much talent. The only exception was probably 2010.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It's not fair to change the term "bus driver".
If everyone is being honest, they know the difference.
When you're unstoppable, you're not driving a bus.
Since when is your definition the only one? If everyone is being honest, my definition is the most accurate for this team. Dak isn't a gunslinger like Romo, or a surgeon like Brees and Rodgers. He play's with heart and guts almost willing his team to win at times. He may depending on the weapons around him more than most QBs but that's the bus and there is nothing wrong with that. Winning with teamwork is still winning.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yes there were struggles but he was still productive even when the team wasn’t . And he was still productive thru the struggles when not always surrounded by as much talent. The only exception was probably 2010.
Not true. Romo was not productive without surrounding talent.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah I think Dilfer was worse than a bus driver. I think he was a below average qb.
No doubt. Dak probably could have won with that team like most QB’s. And why the success of the team isn’t always connected to a QB performance.

Dak has many outstanding intangible qualities including leadership and clutch performance which help overcome weaknesses in his passing abilities.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Romo was remarkably consistent, that’s actually sort of his claim to fame. His worst season was probably 2012 and it was still in the top half for QBs that season and far better than the garbage produced by Dak in 2017-2018. Don’t feed the trolls; Romo never had a bad season.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Pretty good analysis.

Intangible factors are Daks greatest assets. He’s a leader and clutch performer. Just not a consistent or prolific passer. We obviously can win games with him but he must have elite support at key positions and OL. Hopefully we can always provide him that.

All QB’s need surrounding support. What they do with it separates the greatest from the average.
I have a hard time calling his supporting cast last year "elite".
I'd call it pretty good.
The most productive TE on the team for most of the year was Geoff Swaim.
The recieving core apart from Cooper had a good slot reciever, a nice rookie and a few spare parts.
The OL was consistently inconsistent.
Zeke is a stud, of course.
I agree with your main point overall, BTW.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I have a hard time calling his supporting cast last year "elite".
I'd call it pretty good.
The most productive TE on the team for most of the year was Geoff Swaim.
The recieving core apart from Cooper had a good slot reciever, a nice rookie and a few spare parts.
The OL was consistently inconsistent.
Zeke is a stud, of course.
I agree with your main point overall, BTW.
Thanks

TE definitely wasn’t Elite. Agreed. But once we acquired Cooper our WR uplifted our offense and Dak enough to be considered Elite. And while our OL dropped off from it’s All World status from 2016 we still had 2 Pro Bowlers last year.

Even when we had arguably the greater supporting cast in 2016, the end results in playoffs weren’t any better. What would our offense be without league leading rusher and a WR1. We’ve already seen. I’m not sure why I need to ask. And why Id continue to ask. How much Elite talent will it take around him to take the next step? Or is this as good as it gets?