Is Dak a so-called bus driver?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hopefully our FO is serious about a “ team friendly” contract because we’ve already seen what our QB is without the talent of an Elliott or Cooper and a less than All World OL.
It’s bottom tier football.

pansophy

Reaction score
I’m not sure how you can leave out our 2 Pro Bowlers on OL even if they aren’t at All World level of 2016. And our defense was top 10 last year. Our weakest link was passing offense ranked 22nd with a 14th ranked QB.

Spin it how you wish but those are the facts.
Dak is a bus driver who can make big plays on the move, but the Rams ran for about 250 yards in that playoff game. Hard to win games like that, and hard to claim that it was the offense that ended our season even if I'd like to think we should be able to put up more than 22 points.

jnday

Reaction score
You said Dak didn't make players better. Beasley averaged 500 yards until Dak and he had over 800 yards.

Doesn't matter what we gave up. Most of you trashed the Cooper trade and said things like he is a bust and leads the league in dropped passes. With Dak throwing the ball to him how many drops did he have.

Also Jarwin had one of the best TD game by a TE in how long.
The only reason why Beasley had more catches is due to Dak’s inability to throw accurately and consistently deep. In all honesty, the offense shouldn’t have to throw repeatedly to the slot WR for short gains. The slot WR runs the check down, short routes that have a high completion rates and Beasley is not the type of WR to break tackles and get big gains. He was just a safe WR to throw short passes to.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak is a bus driver who can make big plays on the move, but the Rams ran for about 250 yards in that playoff game. Hard to win games like that, and hard to claim that it was the offense that ended our season even if I'd like to think we should be able to put up more than 22 points.
Didn’t say it was our offense but the numbers say our passing offense is our weakness and 22 points isn’t enough against a more prolific offense.

jnday

Reaction score
I agree with you in regards to Dak. I don't defend him, but for different reasons. Don't get too caught up in the rule changes. Yes the rule changes play a role in making the passing game easier, but the driving force as to why the passing game has exploded is the salary cap. Teams can no longer stack impact players on defense so the majority of the league has average to poor defenses. In comes a really good quarterback and he just picks them apart week in and week out. Peyton Manning is a good example of what happens to a quarterback of this era playing cookie cutter defenses all year and then running into the 2013 Seahawks. He was not ready.
The rule changes was clearly to increase scoring and promote more passing to make the game more exciting, or at least those are the reasons the league gave.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And that's good enough right, being competitive? I doubt many would agree that being competitive is enough. Hence the "Dak is a bus driver" debate. Are we competitive, damn straight! Do we enjoy it, hell no!
This is a great point. I’d argue “ being competitive “ is better than 4-12. And it puts butts in the seats and sells jerseys.

But if this is as good as it gets I’m not sure Dak will ultimately be considered one of the greats in Cowboy history. It then comes down more to fan favorites than what’s in our best interest to win championships.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I’m not sure how you can leave out our 2 Pro Bowlers on OL even if they aren’t at All World level of 2016. And our defense was top 10 last year. Our weakest link was passing offense ranked 22nd with a 14th ranked QB.

Spin it how you wish but those are the facts.
Let's not exaggerate. The Pro Bowl in itself is not the measuring stick and especially when you're chosen as an alternate. The O line has been inconsistent and to keep repeating that's it's "All World" is childish. And so is saying I'm spinning things.
It's not black and white.
2016 he was a rookie and the defense was NOT top 10, though the O line played better than it did in 2017 and 2018.
2017 we were missing a bunch of players and the defense was NOT top 10.
2018 the O line was NOT all World and while defense was much improved, it did NOT play like a top 10 defense vs. LA. They ran all over us. It was NOT the offense.

Everything comes into play, not JUST on specific area and that includes Prescott. He and the offense played well enough to win, the defense let us down. I invite you to watch the LA game again and really look at how poor the defense was.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you think our passing offense functions at a high level with Dak?
I was talking about the overall offense, and not just the passing offense. I don't care if the run or the pass is the predominant element as long as it functions well as whole.

To more directly answer your question, the passing offense was pretty pitiful the first half of last season - very poor offensive performance during that stretch. It was strong the second half though. I think what we are still trying to find out with Dak and the entire offense is how consistent they can be. That's the thing that is lacking, and that is ultimately what will determine how good (or bad or average) Dak and the offense can be.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Let's not exaggerate. The Pro Bowl in itself is not the measuring stick and especially when you're chosen as an alternate. The O line has been inconsistent and to keep repeating that's it's "All World" is childish. And so is saying I'm spinning things.
It's not black and white.
2016 he was a rookie and the defense was NOT top 10, though the O line played better than it did in 2017 and 2018.
2017 we were missing a bunch of players and the defense was NOT top 10.
2018 the O line was NOT all World and while defense was much improved, it did NOT play like a top 10 defense vs. LA. They ran all over us. It was NOT the offense.

Everything comes into play, not JUST on specific area and that includes Prescott. He and the offense played well enough to win, the defense let us down. I invite you to watch the LA game again and really look at how poor the defense was.
If your not going to use who gets into the Pro Bowl or All Pro as a measurement for elite take then what is our measurement ? I’m not talking about substitutes who get in after others opt out .

And the numbers are black and white. How we spin them to support our opinions is subjective.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I was talking about the overall offense, and not just the passing offense. I don't care if the run or the pass is the predominant element as long as it functions well as whole.

To more directly answer your question, the passing offense was pretty pitiful the first half of last season - very poor offensive performance during that stretch. It was strong the second half though. I think what we are still trying to find out with Dak and the entire offense is how consistent they can be. That's the thing that is lacking, and that is ultimately what will determine how good (or bad or average) Dak and the offense can be.
That’s an honorable answer. You sound more like a team spokesman than a fan critiquing. Lol

The passing offense ended 22nd in the league. I agree it’s pretty pitiful despite however it improved once Cooper arrived.

Any other teams go deep in the playoffs with a below average passing offense?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
aikman played over 20 years ago....different game. where did Aikman rank against his contemporaries of the time. Aikman is a HOFer...unanimous HOFer.... come on man....

I'm not suggesting Aikman isn't a deserving Hall of Famer, or a great QB. My point was that raw stats aren't the only thing that define a QB. As for how Aikman ranks next to his contemporaries at the time, statistically he is not at the same level as other HOF QBs. Winning, and his perception as a leader and a field general and the guy in command of the offense is what got him in the HOF. It wasn't his statistics.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s an honorable answer. You sound more like a team spokesman than a fan critiquing. Lol

The passing offense ended 22nd in the league. I agree it’s pretty pitiful despite however it improved once Cooper arrived.

Any other teams go deep in the playoffs with a below average passing offense?

The key is obviously if the team will settle into being more the passing offense it was the 2nd half of the season, or more like the first part, or something in between. If it's like the first part of last season, the team cannot go far - can't even get to the playoffs. But something in between or at the level of the second half of last year can work. I think given the strength of our running game the passing offense doesn't have to be elite, and probably couldn't have elite stats anyway because of how many offense snaps are given to the running game, but it does have to be efficient and effective, and it wasn't close to that the first part of last season.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If your not going to use who gets into the Pro Bowl or All Pro as a measurement for elite take then what is our measurement ? I’m not talking about substitutes who get in after others opt out .

And the numbers are black and white. How we spin them to support our opinions is subjective.
Seriously? Watch them from last season, they were inconsistent. Not all of those sacks were Prescott's fault. Stating that there were 2 Pro bowlers over and over show's you're selectively leaving the other 3 players on the O line. And then add to that TE's. It was a mess.

Again, you're not considering the post season. The offense wasn't the issue. Yet you keep piling on talent around the QB on offense.

Elliott didn't make the Pro Bowl, does that mean is wasn't elite? It's a useless and inaccurate popularity contest.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aikman played 25 years ago...when a 4000 yard passer was considered great....we have had multiple 4000 yard passers each year in the past few years and Brees broke the 5000 yard barrier...come on man

Again, it's not all about statistics. Other than one season, Aikman was very average statistically even for his time. Statistics are not the measure Aikman is judged by - nor should they be. If judged solely on stats he wouldn't be in the HOF.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Seriously? Watch them from last season, they were inconsistent. Not all of those sacks were Prescott's fault. Stating that there were 2 Pro bowlers over and over show's you're selectively leaving the other 3 players on the O line. And then add to that TE's. It was a mess.

Again, you're not considering the post season. The offense wasn't the issue. Yet you keep piling on talent around the QB on offense.

Elliott didn't make the Pro Bowl, does that mean is wasn't elite? It's a useless and inaccurate popularity contest.
Is 22 points enough to win in playoffs?
Against a prolific offense like Rams?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I think it's reasonable. Had we stopped a TD, we're in good shape. I'm not denying (And never did) the offense could have played better, but they did enough.

Is allowing 275 yards rushing enough to win? What do you think made the biggest impact? What was the weakest link?

Now you're not making sense.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Here's why your point isn't that relevant. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to put up a 50 burger on a team in the playoffs.

Last year's playoffs:
Philly won with 16 points.
New Orleans won with 20 and then 23 points.
Indy won with 21 points.
Chargers won with 23 points.
New England won the Super Bowl with 13 points!