Is Dak a so-called bus driver?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't care if a QB is a bus driver as long as he isn't driving the bus over a cliff exactly when you need him to take the fork in the road. Dak hasn't shown that he's a QB that will throw a game away. I'd rather not be a team that has to rely on their QB to win EVERY game anyways.

What if the fork in the road leads to two different cliffs? As that was the direction the coaches took. :lmao2: J/K, couldn't resist.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
YES

If you think otherwise, youre just a fanboy

Love that solid evidence supporting your conclusion. Anyone who disagrees is a fan boy. Brilliant stuff.

I'm just wondering how a "bus driver" could lead the NFL in game-winning drives since he entered the league? :huh:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a fast bus, but he doesn't do anything outside of Payton's system. Never has. His thing, his entire career, has been to take what the defense gives him. He's not a guy who would have done the same in the environment that, say, Tony Romo played in.

Every QB works within the system the team installs, but I think what most think about when referring to a "bus driver" is a QB who does the minimum to steer the bus in the right direction, with others really the ones that make the bus go, rather than a QB that is the fuel for the bus the way Brees is. In any case, it's all perception and personal opinion as to what constitutes a "bus driver". All I care about is if the team can win with a QB.

Reactions: G2

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Love that solid evidence supporting your conclusion. Anyone who disagrees is a fan boy. Brilliant stuff.

I'm just wondering how a "bus driver" could lead the NFL in game-winning drives since he entered the league? :huh:
Im wondering how a “non bus-driver”, cant crack the top 15 in passing year in/out.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The offense was set up for Emmitt to be "the guy", from 1991-1995, Emmitt averaged 353 carries a year. That works out to 22 carries a game. He also caught 55 passes per year average, short passes of course, and assuming he was thrown to 70 times a year, he was the focus of the offense nearly 26 plays a game. There is an average of about 65 plays per game, so Emmitt was 40% of the offense. Troy simply didn't HAVE to throw a lot. By comparison, in 1993 Troy attempted 392 passes. Favre attempted 522, if Troy had attempted 522 passes per his y/a of 7.9 he'd had well over 4,000 yards.

Again, it's a case of stats not being the whole story. I can imagine what Aikman would have had, stat-wise, if he'd been in a high powered passing offense like the Bills or the Packers...

That's been my whole point - that stats don't tell the whole story. I don't disagree at all that Emmitt was the focus of the offense, which is another factor that explains why yardage per game is not a stand alone measure of a QB. If a team has a strong running game it would be ridiculous not to use it, but using it doesn't automatically mean the QB is no better than a bus driver. Dak typically throws less than most of his counterparts as well with Zeke being a big part of the current offense. Dak was only 23rd in passing attempts in his rookie year, 16th in 2017 and 13th last year. Again, i'm not saying he is the QB Aikman was, this just all started with the comment that he has too many sub 200 yard passing games, and I'm just saying, as you are, that simply looking at that kind of stat doesn't give the full picture.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Every QB works within the system the team installs, but I think what most think about when referring to a "bus driver" is a QB who does the minimum to steer the bus in the right direction, with others really the ones that make the bus go, rather than a QB that is the fuel for the bus the way Brees is. In any case, it's all perception and personal opinion as to what constitutes a "bus driver". All I care about is if the team can win with a QB.
32-16 seems legit.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Aikman didn't even throw for 3,000 in 2 of those seasons, and never threw for 3,500. Over that period he was 16th, 4th, 10th, 16th and 13th in passing yardage. Very ordinary. Plus he was 16th, 3rd, 10th, 20th and 19th over that period in passing TD's.

I do have to correct something I said earlier. I had said Aikman never had a 20 TD season, and he actually did have one 23 TD season. 1992 was his one big statistical season, and in that year he was top 5 in both TDs and yardage.

In any case, you are getting carried away trying to hold me to an exact comparison of Dak and Aikman's stats. That's ridiculous, Of course they aren't going to be identical in every category in every year. The point simply was there are factors other than passing yardage that go into what makes a high quality QB. That's it.
Dont talk to me about Troys TD passing. He had the 2nd all time leader in TDs on his team. Trying to use that against Troy would be the same as using the Playmaker’s lack of TDs against him. Here, Dak doesnt have that issue. Zeke hasnt played in a total of 8 games here. Dak has thrown for a total of 9 Tds. 7 of those came from the same trash team.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Therein lies the rub, just where is that more prolific passer? This is not a choice of Prescott v that guy. That guy does not exist at this point because none of the Tier 1 QB's that are considered prolific passers are available and going for a perceived one in the draft makes it even more difficult to surround him with talent because they'd have to give up the farm.

Aikman wasn't a prolific passer, he was deadly accurate but not prolific and he didn't need to be because the offense wasn't built around that just as this one is not.

All that are not satisfied with Dak Prescott need to stop dwelling on what they perceive to not be there and consider what is there because he is going to be the DC QB1. Those that call him inaccurate, that is an inaccurate statement, he has consistency challenges with his accuracy. And while I agree with Aikman that accuracy issues aren't easily corrected at this level, a consistency issue is different. I also take exception with those giving him an excuse with coaching, they haven't thrown one pass.

He can pull it down and use his legs, is built like a RB and has been very durable. Unlike the Eagles fans, our challenger for the division title, we do not have to be concerned with our backup QB. He's shown leadership skills since high school and once he gets the QB1 job, he instills confidence from his coaches and teammates.

The problem some have with Prescott is the same problem some had with Romo, the lack of a pedigree. What's this? An UDFA QB handing off to a 4th rounder? This is the Dallas Cowboys, that cannot be. Brady was a 6th rounder but he replaced a #1 pick.

He's won the East 2 out of 3 seasons and never had a losing season. He has done for the Cowboys what he did for the Bulldogs and his high school team, won. I mentioned that there are two types of QB's, those that lift those around them and those that need to be lifted. Initially, I had Dak pegged as the latter but now I am rethinking that because while he was the QB that took them to 3-5, he was also the one that took them to 7-1 and the division. Doesn't matter what any of us think about him, it only matters what his teammates think.
well, this argument sounds like as if you are settling. there is not another guy (and I don't disagree) and thus he is our guy, throw money at him and make him sound like he is elite through a bunch of meaningless stats.

I am not opposed to giving him 20-25 a year or more....if he gets that...great. good for him. he should be proud. but what I do know that without a true #1, a great OL, a great RB and a defense to protect him in games he lays an egg, he won't be the same QB. so why is there a concern about giving him too much? as a fan, I know then money will be limited in getting him the #1 Wr he needs, signing the probowl OL men he needs, getting him the top TE he needs and signing the defensive players we need...so that impacts the cowboys. if those weren't an issue, I wish he gets 35 mill a year...who cares.....its not about that...its about cowboys success. right now, I don't buy into him being an elite QB and getting elite money.

with that said, yes, there isn't another guy right now...but should we stop looking? if we pay him 25 mill because right now there isn't another guy, then we will stop looking. cost of cutting or replacing him will be too much and no team will do that....like Vikings, they are stuck with Cousins for the next two years, wether they like it or not.

secondly, QBs in the league must pass to succeed. very few non passing QBs succeed and those who run too much, get hurt. ...cam newton, who is bigger, badder and faster and better passer than Dak got injured. hits add up...I don't want him to run the ball like a RB. we draft and sign a RB to that....

Dak is got a little ways to go. I don't want to sound all negative....his QB skills leave some to be desired, but he has the intangibles, like leadership, drive, commitment (maybe) but his passing skills, fundamentals will need a lot of work. after 7 years of college and pros, can he effectively change his footwork...the most fundamental of things for a QB.... his ability to sense pressure, how he reacts to pressure, holding the ball too long, reading defenses......

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Im wondering how a “non bus-driver”, cant crack the top 15 in passing year in/out.

Top 15 in what yards? Once he got a legit WR in Cooper he would avg 274 yards per game which is up there with the top QB's as well as 14 TD and 3 ints. over that span. I really do not care if people call him a bus driver or not, what I do care about is making plays and helping this team win. I think there are still things he needs to work on and improve on, he went from 32 sacks in 2017 to 56 sacks this past season, some of that on him but regardless has to get the ball out quicker or take off.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It's almost like some fans are pissed that Prescott has solid talent around him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Obviously a lot has to do with the fact the Cowboys run the ball more than most teams. In 2014 Tony Romo, who had been one of the more prolific passers of his era behind Manning, Brees, Brady, and Rogers, was only 14th in the NFL in yardage because that was the season the Cowboys started making a bigger commitment to the running game. In 2013 Russell Wilson was 16th in the NFL, yet his team was the Super Bowl champion. It was because their offense contained a heavy running element. He was 15th the next year when his team got to, and lost the Super Bowl.

Obviously Prescott has a way to go, and the jury is far from in on him, but let's at least be fair enough to look at the whole picture.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Top 15 in what yards? Once he got a legit WR in Cooper he would avg 274 yards per game which is up there with the top QB's as well as 14 TD and 3 ints. over that span. I really do not care if people call him a bus driver or not, what I do care about is making plays and helping this team win. I think there are still things he needs to work on and improve on, he went from 32 sacks in 2017 to 56 sacks this past season, some of that on him but regardless has to get the ball out quicker or take off.

They are trying to make the case that passing yardage is a stand alone measure of a QB, and it doesn't matter about things like how often the team runs the ball, or QB rating, or total TDs or contributions as a running QB. I'll be the first to admit that the jury is still out on Dak, but this notion that his passing yardage tells the whole story is ridiculous.

Sydla

Reaction score
Who knows what but what I find fascinating from the pro-Dak crowd is that they have literally argued in the past that you can't judge Dak until he has great talent around him (and better coaching). In essence, that's basically calling him a bus driver.

When you look at his three years here, he absolutely struggled at times when the perfect conditions (great OL, Zeke, good WRs) weren't there.