CFZ Is Dak contract biggest issue critics have?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak shouldn't be the franchise quarterback of the Cowboys at any price. He simply isn't the answer. Cooper Rush might not be either, but he proved that he is, at the least, better than Dak.
Rush has shown that he is more skilled at the position than Dak.
But for what the Cowboys paid for Dak they could have gotten a real quarterback.
Instead, they paid Dak like he was already an established champion. He isn't.
He has a history of beating weak teams, but choking in games against contenders. EVERY TIME Dak has had the opportunity to prove he is more than just a scrub, he has failed. EVERY time he needed to be the spark that took the Cowboys to a higher level, he failed. But they paid him and saddled the Cowboys with that huge contract, despite him never earning it.
He is still just a scrub with a strong arm. But Dak doesn't make the Cowboys better.
That is the issue.
So if Dak is a Scrub, who is responsible for being all in paying him 40 million a season ?

And after all of these years appear willing to extend him again. What does this say about our ownership.

Or is this more of a league wide issue or problem over paying and strapping Salary Caps for Non-Elite Franchise QB’s?

Jipper

Reaction score
The irony is his contract is not even his fault, it is the Joneses.

They get played by every good agent and have no one to blame for getting boxed in with few options but themselves and their lack of preparation for the future.

I also think it’s part of the nfls fault too, the going rate for a good starting qb is what it is, and it is only going to keep going up.

the nfl needs to find a way to control the position salaries or we might see it get to a point where 50 percent of the cap is going to a single position

Swagger

Reaction score
So if Dak is a Scrub, who is responsible for being all in paying him 40 million a season ?

And after all of these years appear willing to extend him again. What does this say about our ownership.

Or is this more of a league wide issue or problem over paying and strapping Salary Caps for Non-Elite Franchise QB’s?
Just because another team makes a mistake doesn't mean others have to follow suit. The Rams paid Goff then realised he couldn't get them over the hump. Then dumped him, acquired a better QB and won the Superbowl.

leeblair

Reaction score

Jerry should have known better, but he has become more concerned with sales hype than the actual product.
Jerry knew that paying Dak that big salary would be hyped as the Cowboys finding the missing piece, and expectations could be hyped and sales would remain at a high level. And it worked; so many fans don't know the difference and don't seem to care. They just like the Cowboys colors and will buy into the hype. It's a sad commentary on the state of today's fans.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This issue appears to come up more often when criticism inflates with our QB. That we should be having more success with a QB who is paid the amount of money and portion of our Cap he is.

In comparison Prescott is paid similar to those like Watson, Carr, Murray and Cousins whose teams haven’t had anymore success than Prescotts.

I think most of us would agree that average to above average QB’s are over paid and all too often paid similar to the more Elite QB’s. At least initially when they sign. But is that these QB’s responsibility or the owners and front offices that pony up along with the coaching staffs which support it.

It’s a tough balance . Unfortunately all Franchise QB’s aren’t Elite . But when you find a serviceable enough QB to try and build around it appears that part of the process is locking them up before they can become a FA.

And this is where overpaying them is part of the process. In turn we often see the ownerships, front offices and coaching staff hype or justify their contract of their Franchise QB that he’s enough to win. Again, all part of the process.

Not sure why this burden is put all on the QB’s. Should they say, no boss , don’t over pay me.

LOL.......Cmon that is a ridiculous question. These turds have said a million times they think he is backup material or average. Or that he is not Mahomes.

They all hated him when he was getting paid 1m per year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Good post. Dak will be paid 49 million, Mahomes 46 million, Rodgers, Murray, Carr all in the 40-46 million range. If I'm going to give my QB "the bag" he better be able to get more done with less. He should also have at least one skill that makes him stand out. BTW, Watson is getting paid 52 million. I think Seattle made a smart move, traded Russ for a bounty of draft picks.

He has done more with less. But you cant expect a Dak or Romo to beat the Mahomes, Rogers, Allens of the world when they have both a better team and better coaching than he does.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
If there were no salary cap, nobody would care. But when we are sitting here talking about not wanting to sign or trade for a WR because DJ Moore has too big of a contract.... there is the problem.

If Dak's contract had no impact on those other decisions, nobody would ever mention what he makes. But it does and people do.

We have cap space now though, again when Dak actually counts 49 mill towards the cap and KEEPS THIS FO FROM SIGNING PLAYERS, then i will gouge him for that..he counts under 20 mill this year and they still let 20 mill in cap rest in the bank...

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I agree. But ultimately who manages the Cap and contracts.

This is an issue the owners and league created not the players.
Who cares who created it? I don't. It is the rules they play under. Nobody would care if dak played like Mahomes. Wed say it was 40 million well spent.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is the frustration, good negotiators put themselves in a position of leverage to begin with.
This FO believes that loads of money is their only leverage.
There is another side to that, ego. Booger's is so over-inflated that her thinks every player wants to be a Cowboy and that is, of course, because of him. So they are already bent to become a Cowboy and we've seen that is just not true.

I can only imagine his reaction to what Parsons has said about Quinn and Philly.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Who cares who created it? I don't. It is the rules they play under. Nobody would care if dak played like Mahomes. Wed say it was 40 million well spent.
Yea, but whoever expected him to play like Mahomes is the idiot and who is costing the Cowboys.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I also think it’s part of the nfls fault too, the going rate for a good starting qb is what it is, and it is only going to keep going up.

the nfl needs to find a way to control the position salaries or we might see it get to a point where 50 percent of the cap is going to a single position
The NFLPA would scream collusion. And I don't think those 32 people could pull that off. They are unified for the money but that's about it.

When Cousins got that first 3 X 28M guaranteed deal, the agents partied for a week and everything changed at the QB compensation level.

I do not think there is a QB in the NFL that cares about how much of the cap they're raking in. It is every man for himself and get yours while the getting is good.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry should have known better, but he has become more concerned with sales hype than the actual product.
Jerry knew that paying Dak that big salary would be hyped as the Cowboys finding the missing piece, and expectations could be hyped and sales would remain at a high level. And it worked; so many fans don't know the difference and don't seem to care. They just like the Cowboys colors and will buy into the hype. It's a sad commentary on the state of today's fans.
Sounds like the priorities of fans don’t necessarily align with that of the owners and maybe even the players too.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just because another team makes a mistake doesn't mean others have to follow suit. The Rams paid Goff then realised he couldn't get them over the hump. Then dumped him, acquired a better QB and won the Superbowl.
Yep

Egirls dumped their QB too.

Jethro doubled down on his. And it’s payed big dividends for him. Just not for the fans .

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
So, there’s no responsibility on our ownership, front office and coaching staffs for not seeing all of these weaknesses you have presented and still paying him?

If you were owner , you wouldn’t have paid him? Right
Maybe, I called for the transition tag both years he was in negotiation.

If no one was willing to give up 2 1st picks for him with that tag, we would have been in a much better negotiation stance. Or I might have taken a 1st and a 2nd or even 3rd. Something I could have used to trade up in the first to get the guy we wanted.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The NFLPA would scream collusion. And I don't think those 32 people could pull that off. They are unified for the money but that's about it.

When Cousins got that first 3 X 28M guaranteed deal, the agents partied for a week and everything changed at the QB compensation level.

I do not think there is a QB in the NFL that cares about how much of the cap they're raking in. It is every man for himself and get yours while the getting is good.
Yep

The priorities of the players and owners isn’t necessarily aligned with the fans.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
Frankly I think even elite are overpaid, Rodgers is paid much more and yet the results? GB looks like crap, they lose Adams at WR and that has killed their offense. No doubt Rodgers is one of the best in the NFL but NO QB can do it alone, none of them. QB position require a lot of help from OL, to RB to WR, as important as the position is they rely on others around them to be able to perform at a high level, you remove the weapons, you remove the OL and these guys are not worth much
I think you are going to start seeing some of these QBs traded rather than spending 25-30% of the cap on them. If somehow the eagles wind up with the first overall pick this year I am interested in whether or not they will consider trading Hurts as perhaps Stroud on a rookie deal is preferable to Hurts at 40m per year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think you are going to start seeing some of these QBs traded rather than spending 25-30% of the cap on them. If somehow the eagles wind up with the first overall pick this year I am interested in whether or not they will consider trading Hurts as perhaps Stroud on a rookie deal is preferable to Hurts at 40m per year.

Could be then again teams will do most anything to ensure they have a good QB.