CFZ Is Dak contract biggest issue critics have?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But if the objective is winning Super Bowls then at a certain point, when adding in cap percentage they have a negative value.
I’m not sure winning Super Bowls is the immediate objective by the owners. Maintaining interest and relativity drives fan support enabling a consistent contender which a Franchise QB whether or not he’s Elite.

I think fans are more obsessed with winning Super Bowls. Owners just want to keep the revenue stream rolling and players are more concerned about their contract.

Winning Super Bowls is just the cream on top of multi billion dollar industry and bragging rights.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I’m not sure winning Super Bowls is the immediate objective by the owners. Maintaining interest and relativity drives fan support enabling a consistent contender which a Franchise QB whether or not he’s Elite.

I think fans are more obsessed with winning Super Bowls. Owners just want to keep the revenue stream rolling and players are more concerned about their contract.

Winning Super Bowls is just the cream on top of multi billion dollar industry and bragging rights.

I don't know about that. Owners pump big money into these players I think owners do want SB and that is why many will spend big to get one, each year we see coaches fired because they did not win. I guess you could say the same about players, they want money but don't care about winning. Personally, I don't agree with either statement.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't know about that. Owners pump big money into these players I think owners do want SB and that is why many will spend big to get one, each year we see coaches fired because they did not win. I guess you could say the same about players, they want money but don't care about winning. Personally, I don't agree with either statement.
But they aren’t generally firing coaches who are consistent contenders making the playoffs unless they fall off. And I didn’t say they didn’t want to win. I said winning Super Bowls isn’t the immediate objective.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
This issue appears to come up more often when criticism inflates with our QB. That we should be having more success with a QB who is paid the amount of money and portion of our Cap he is.

In comparison Prescott is paid similar to those like Watson, Carr, Murray and Cousins whose teams haven’t had anymore success than Prescotts.

I think most of us would agree that average to above average QB’s are over paid and all too often paid similar to the more Elite QB’s. At least initially when they sign. But is that these QB’s responsibility or the owners and front offices that pony up along with the coaching staffs which support it.

It’s a tough balance . Unfortunately all Franchise QB’s aren’t Elite . But when you find a serviceable enough QB to try and build around it appears that part of the process is locking them up before they can become a FA.

And this is where overpaying them is part of the process. In turn we often see the ownerships, front offices and coaching staff hype or justify their contract of their Franchise QB that he’s enough to win. Again, all part of the process.

Not sure why this burden is put all on the QB’s. Should they say, no boss , don’t over pay me.
How can it be? Imagine paying Murray that contract? Painful. In a year the Dak deal will look like a bargain if it already doesn’t. The QB market has gotten ridiculous. Not Dak’s fault. My issue with Dak is inconsistent accuracy and him needing to use his legs more. Dak needs to tuck it and run more if nothing is there. Alas he is the most maligned player I can ever remember. It’s amazing how much hate he gets from some of the fan base.

Redline360

Reaction score
Contract was always dumb from day one however the quarterback market in general is ridiculous.

1) Has no feel for anticipation / ability to throw recievers open

2) Still gets easily confused by defensive schemes

starfan1

Reaction score
I don’t care bout his contract it’s not my money. Don’t care bout any of the overpaid players I care about performance

besides Jerry ain’t spending it when he’s got it anyway

performance game in and game out not in relation to how much they make

Dak and the team seem to wither in playoffs against the best competition

There are very few players on team that I can’t find some reason to criticize

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Big QB contracts ALWAYS come back to bite a team. I don't care how good they are, some position(s) take a hit because of said contract. It's even worse when a bubble top 10 QB gets paid like he's top 3. The market does need a fix.

There's a reason very few elite QBs have won Super Bowls after they got their massive contracts. But you start to see the most impact of those contract mid-way through.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Most of those QBs also were given major weapons at the wideout position. While we sit back, twiddle our thumbs, and hope for the best.

If I want hope I watch rewatch Star Wars.

CeeDee Lamb and Gallup were both taken within the top 3 rounds of the draft. We traded away a first for Cooper. We have done enough for Dak at skill positions. Not exactly sure what else he needs.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Right now NFL cap continue to rise every year. Next season we will see 10% increase for 2023 brings the cap near $230M. QB are just not that easy to find.

It doesn't matter if you find a QB if said QB is taking up 20% of the cap or more. When was the last time a QB won a Super Bowl while taking up that amount of cap space that wasn't on some one or two year deal?

The next two seasons, Dak will be taking up 20% of the cap. After that, he'll be looking for another extension.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
CeeDee Lamb and Gallup were both taken within the top 3 rounds of the draft. We traded away a first for Cooper. We have done enough for Dak at skill positions. Not exactly sure what else he needs.

Well it isn't enough. Look at the Eagles and the Chiefs, they go all in providing weapons to their QB. Just because we spent high draft picks to receivers doesn't mean you stop there. Eagles traded away Raeghor and even though the Chiefs drafted Sky Moore, they still went after Shuster and Toney.

Yes we traded away Cooper. But who did we replace him? A back up from the Steelers? Give me a break.

Reactions: BAT

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If I had his money...I would burn mine. Not sure why you asked such a question.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
We release other players we don’t think are worthy of their demands or contracts. Why is the QB any different?
It is what it is, live with it or continue posting endlessly on here with the same gripe in every post! You're not going the change anything!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This issue appears to come up more often when criticism inflates with our QB. That we should be having more success with a QB who is paid the amount of money and portion of our Cap he is.

In comparison Prescott is paid similar to those like Watson, Carr, Murray and Cousins whose teams haven’t had anymore success than Prescotts.

I think most of us would agree that average to above average QB’s are over paid and all too often paid similar to the more Elite QB’s. At least initially when they sign. But is that these QB’s responsibility or the owners and front offices that pony up along with the coaching staffs which support it.

It’s a tough balance . Unfortunately all Franchise QB’s aren’t Elite . But when you find a serviceable enough QB to try and build around it appears that part of the process is locking them up before they can become a FA.

And this is where overpaying them is part of the process. In turn we often see the ownerships, front offices and coaching staff hype or justify their contract of their Franchise QB that he’s enough to win. Again, all part of the process.

Not sure why this burden is put all on the QB’s. Should they say, no boss , don’t over pay me.
Lack of brains cells and beer fuel the critics...

plymkr

Reaction score
Man, I'm waiting for the overdue market correction. Sooner or later teams should realize paying average guys huge salaries keeps them out of the super bowl.
This is what I believe/predict will happen in the next 5-7 years. This will be the new trend. The NFL will figure out that having a complete team is better than having an elite QB taking up a majority of the cap space. Wilson, Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Stafford, etc will not be the norm of winning titles but the new norm will be average to good QBs on the rookie contracts with a great team.
Wilson- win a super bowl with LOB
Stafford- great supporting cast, Aaron Donald
Rodgers- only super bowl win was with a top 5 defense.

Our Window to win a championship was when Dak was on his rookie deal. Or this year with Diggs and Parsons on their rookie contracts. When Diggs and Parsons come due then we'll be hurting. Unless Dak plays at an MVP level and the combined play of Diggs and Parsons and Dak make up the shortcomings of the rest of the roster.

But I ramble. I do feel, with QBs especially, the next trend of successful teams will be teams that can balance 1 or 2 very high priced players and then a bunch of rookie contracts and great coaching to get them cohesive. So I hate to say it but maybe cheap ol Stephen might be on to something for homegrown talent and spending money on known products. Wow, I need some sleep if I'm thinking Stephen is right.