CFZ Is Dak contract biggest issue critics have?

plymkr

Reaction score
Terrible evaluation. Only those players who don't live up to it get bashed.
Agreed. No one bashes Martin because his play was consistent or improved after receiving his 2nd contract. Guys like Elliott or Lawrence who's numbers and impact declined after their 2nd contract got bashed. Now one thing I've noticed with myself and other posters is when DLaw and Elliott have played better the bashing decreased.

plymkr

Reaction score
With Jerry, hope springs eternal.
He was hoping after signing Dak
He would take the next step forward.
Exactly, and that failure is on Jerry and not Dak. As a GM you can not build a team based on "hope". Then if fans blame Jerry then the Jerry supporters come out in full force to protect him. IMO Dak and Jerry are the most polarizing people in the organization. I don't believe the fans will ever come to an amicable agreement about each one and we'll discuss/argue/irritate each other over and over again. I personally put more blame on the state of the franchise and playoff record since 2016 on Jerry than Dak. I honestly feel we could with with Dak and his shortcomings if Jerry would stay in his lane and allow his coaches to be real coaches and not puppets. JMHO.

GINeric

Reaction score
This issue appears to come up more often when criticism inflates with our QB. That we should be having more success with a QB who is paid the amount of money and portion of our Cap he is.

In comparison Prescott is paid similar to those like Watson, Carr, Murray and Cousins whose teams haven’t had anymore success than Prescotts.

I think most of us would agree that average to above average QB’s are over paid and all too often paid similar to the more Elite QB’s. At least initially when they sign. But is that these QB’s responsibility or the owners and front offices that pony up along with the coaching staffs which support it.

It’s a tough balance . Unfortunately all Franchise QB’s aren’t Elite . But when you find a serviceable enough QB to try and build around it appears that part of the process is locking them up before they can become a FA.

And this is where overpaying them is part of the process. In turn we often see the ownerships, front offices and coaching staff hype or justify their contract of their Franchise QB that he’s enough to win. Again, all part of the process.

Not sure why this burden is put all on the QB’s. Should they say, no boss , don’t over pay me.

Thats what I don't understand. How can blame be placed ONLY on the quarterback. Whats really hilarious is how some people act like Dak is the HIGHEST paid quarterback in NFL history and they act like he's the only quarterback getting max dollars.

But other than 2 or 3 quarterbacks in the NFL.... how many of the other quarterbacks with max dollars are earning their contracts in full??? Exactly....

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This issue appears to come up more often when criticism inflates with our QB. That we should be having more success with a QB who is paid the amount of money and portion of our Cap he is.

In comparison Prescott is paid similar to those like Watson, Carr, Murray and Cousins whose teams haven’t had anymore success than Prescotts.

I think most of us would agree that average to above average QB’s are over paid and all too often paid similar to the more Elite QB’s. At least initially when they sign. But is that these QB’s responsibility or the owners and front offices that pony up along with the coaching staffs which support it.

It’s a tough balance . Unfortunately all Franchise QB’s aren’t Elite . But when you find a serviceable enough QB to try and build around it appears that part of the process is locking them up before they can become a FA.

And this is where overpaying them is part of the process. In turn we often see the ownerships, front offices and coaching staff hype or justify their contract of their Franchise QB that he’s enough to win. Again, all part of the process.

Not sure why this burden is put all on the QB’s. Should they say, no boss , don’t over pay me.

Do we have an above-average QB?
Did we trade for one and I missed it???:muttley:

GINeric

Reaction score
Can't read a defense. Holding the ball too long. Not passing with anticipation. Send a man across the formation and watch Dak's High passes. Behind passes. Late passes. Dirt passes.
Dak can only throw the deep ball(sometimes) and comebacks(sometimes). He can't hit a moving target in stride to save his life across the formation. And you wonder why KM runs these basic plays. Dak is why.

This clown demanded to be paid like the best of the best. He was offered a fair contract, but he demanded the big dog contract.
Now he gets the big dog treatment. Put up or shut up. He hasn't done either. His play is bad and talks way too much.

So Dak's a clown for negotiating the highest amount he possibly can..... just like thousands of other athletes and professionals. So i guess there's thousands of clowns in the business and sports world.

To say a man or woman is a clown for negotiating the highest amount they can successfully negotiate is "broke people" talk.

GINeric

Reaction score
Yes.
I have always been of the view that a team should ride a competent QB during their rookie contract and then move on to a QB that had been drafted in round 1 or 2 a year before the remaining QBs final year. If that subsequent QB drafted is utterly hopeless (unlikely with good scouts drafting a QB for a good team) then draft another QB in round 1 or 2 again.

Elite/play making quarterbacks that make the difference in winning some games are paid which would include the likes of Allen and Mahomes. The rest are not. Prescott falls in to the latter along with the likes of Cousins and Carr. Stafford is an interesting one as he's not elite but he is a high end QB and the Rams worked their salary cap to win the Superbowl last season and they didn't have injuries to key players until the Superbowl itself when OBJ was on course to be the MVP. It was high risk as they didn't have great depth but it worked out for them obviously. Teams that pay Quarterbacks yet are not elite/play makers generally do not win Superbowls so I wouldn't bang my head against the wall and follow the herd.

But we already have seen that quarterbacks drafted in the 1st and 2nd round don't mean you'll be successful. If anything, it means you have to stick with them longer before their rookie deal is up.

Dak was drafted in the 4th round and has has better production and winning percentage than some 1st and 2nd rounders. Dak definitely was the best quarterback in his draft class.

He's not elite, but he's pretty good.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Wow, if Dak's contract is really such an unforgivable issue with Dak's critics, maybe they should consider the fact that Jerry and Stephen are those most responsible for agreeing to give him that 40 million dollar contract. If they had the good sense to award Dak his contract a year earlier, a good sum of it might have been saved. It's their own greed that prevents this team from having a better situation than what it's had all along. It's probably fair to say some things never change . . . :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Acceptablename

Reaction score

Not if Dak was a better QB. I’m not a hater and I think Dak is right around 10th ranked QB I suppose it’s just today’s game. Adapt is my moto

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't give a darn about the money just want a guy that can get us to the Super Bowl. Not happening

mcmvp

Reaction score
I’d argue unless you have a bonafide Elite QB , I’d bring in a new draft pick practically every 4-5 years. Maybe more often.

Why over pay all of these average caliber QB’s.

I couldn’t agree more. There’s going to be a team that starts doing this effectively. Basically never signing a QB to a 2nd contract unless they truly are special (not just going along for the ride on a good roster).

It’s what I hope the Eagles strongly consider doing. Hurts has certainly improved, but is he ‘special’? I don’t think so. I think he is currently a handful for defenses because of the team around him and how they use him, but he’s not special. Neither has Dak ever been.

You pay a Mahomes or a Burrow, or a guy like Allen in a heartbeat. I’m not sure you pay Lamar or Hurts because of the way they play…it’s likely not going to be a decade long thing.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
So Dak's a clown for negotiating the highest amount he possibly can..... just like thousands of other athletes and professionals. So i guess there's thousands of clowns in the business and sports world.

To say a man or woman is a clown for negotiating the highest amount they can successfully negotiate is "broke people" talk.

Dak was offered 5 years $175M but refused it and opted for the franchise tag. Dallas then offered another 5 year deal but Dak was steadfast on a 4 year deal so he can get another deal soon.

Does he have that right? Absolutely.

Did it impact the team's ability to sign players going forward given the structure of the deal and need to renegotiate after just 1 year? Absolutely.

Stop conflating this into other areas as there is a salary cap in football and when a player demands more of the pie it impacts other players ability to remain with the team and for that team to win a Championship.

As for inferring 'broke people talk', many are going through rough economic times right now and this site is a source of temporary mental relief from those realities so you using a personal shot because you disagree with their position is just immature and desperate.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
But we already have seen that quarterbacks drafted in the 1st and 2nd round don't mean you'll be successful. If anything, it means you have to stick with them longer before their rookie deal is up.

Dak was drafted in the 4th round and has has better production and winning percentage than some 1st and 2nd rounders. Dak definitely was the best quarterback in his draft class.

He's not elite, but he's pretty good.

While there are draft misses in every round of the draft, stats have shown that teams are more likely to win a Super Bowl with a QB drafted in the first few rounds.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Thats what I don't understand. How can blame be placed ONLY on the quarterback. Whats really hilarious is how some people act like Dak is the HIGHEST paid quarterback in NFL history and they act like he's the only quarterback getting max dollars.

But other than 2 or 3 quarterbacks in the NFL.... how many of the other quarterbacks with max dollars are earning their contracts in full??? Exactly....
The salary or contract simply provides a talking point. Most of these Dak Hacks offered similar criticism on his Rookie contract.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Lack of brains cells and beer fuel the critics...
I think some criticism is worthy .

It’s the constant abusive vitriol which actually lessens their message as it’s appears to be the only concerning aspect they see with the Cowboys which raises red flags of personal agendas .

USArmyVet

Reaction score
The salary or contract simply provides a talking point. Most of these Dak Hacks offered similar criticism on his Rookie contract.

You have a valid thread talking point going, no need for the Dak hacks talk as it only lessens the thread and demeans your point of view.

glimmerman

Reaction score

We hear it to often. He is not a 40 million dollar QB. I think he is. JJ made him one. It was the market price at the time for a starting QB. Once he got paid he was expected to get us to the SB. Had some set backs. But let’s see what happens. If we one the SB then there will still be people that complain about him. But at least if we won it all they would be forced to admit that they just don’t like him.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Big QB contracts ALWAYS come back to bite a team. I don't care how good they are, some position(s) take a hit because of said contract. It's even worse when a bubble top 10 QB gets paid like he's top 3. The market does need a fix.

There's a reason very few elite QBs have won Super Bowls after they got their massive contracts. But you start to see the most impact of those contract mid-way through.
Agreed if you look at the cap hits (percent of total) of SB winning QBs there hasn't been one yet that had a massive cap hit. From Sport rac: Since 2011, the median cap percentage for a QB reaching the Super Bowl is 8.97%. The median cap percentage for a QB to win the Super Bowl is 10%.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if you find a QB if said QB is taking up 20% of the cap or more. When was the last time a QB won a Super Bowl while taking up that amount of cap space that wasn't on some one or two year deal?

The next two seasons, Dak will be taking up 20% of the cap. After that, he'll be looking for another extension.
The answer is Never. Brady was the highest and it was like 12%.