CFZ Is Dak contract biggest issue critics have?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The OP makes a great point. I do think Dak is overpaid, but I also think the same is true for many other quarterbacks in the league. I also think Dak isn't the only overpaid Cowboy. IMO Zeke is also way overpaid. It's frustrating because I would like to have kept Amari Cooper, and also have some of that for linemen who do the essential gritty work.

I've said for years I wish the league had a per-position salary cap, though I understand they probably wouldn't do that. Both the owners and the players' union would have to agree to it. I think the in-the-trenches players would be all for it, but other players may not be. I suspect the owners might be good with it, but I'm not sure.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
This is what I believe/predict will happen in the next 5-7 years. This will be the new trend. The NFL will figure out that having a complete team is better than having an elite QB taking up a majority of the cap space. Wilson, Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Stafford, etc will not be the norm of winning titles but the new norm will be average to good QBs on the rookie contracts with a great team.
Wilson- win a super bowl with LOB
Stafford- great supporting cast, Aaron Donald
Rodgers- only super bowl win was with a top 5 defense.

Our Window to win a championship was when Dak was on his rookie deal. Or this year with Diggs and Parsons on their rookie contracts. When Diggs and Parsons come due then we'll be hurting. Unless Dak plays at an MVP level and the combined play of Diggs and Parsons and Dak make up the shortcomings of the rest of the roster.

But I ramble. I do feel, with QBs especially, the next trend of successful teams will be teams that can balance 1 or 2 very high priced players and then a bunch of rookie contracts and great coaching to get them cohesive. So I hate to say it but maybe cheap ol Stephen might be on to something for homegrown talent and spending money on known products. Wow, I need some sleep if I'm thinking Stephen is right.
You have to think eventually someone is going to try that formula

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
I couldn’t agree more. There’s going to be a team that starts doing this effectively. Basically never signing a QB to a 2nd contract unless they truly are special (not just going along for the ride on a good roster).

It’s what I hope the Eagles strongly consider doing. Hurts has certainly improved, but is he ‘special’? I don’t think so. I think he is currently a handful for defenses because of the team around him and how they use him, but he’s not special. Neither has Dak ever been.

You pay a Mahomes or a Burrow, or a guy like Allen in a heartbeat. I’m not sure you pay Lamar or Hurts because of the way they play…it’s likely not going to be a decade long thing.
Roseman is unpredictable enough he just might do that. He really doesn't give a bleep what people think.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even the teams that try and build in options miss it. GB picked Love in the 1st and really pissed off Rodgers because he saw the same move that brought him to GB to eventually replace Favre. It hasn't worked out. But that was the plan.

Same with SF and Lance, it has not developed into what they thought it would be. So, they do the next best thing.

With a limited number of real difference maker QB's, what is a team to do when they have a QB that is "good enough" and popular with the fans? Would they prefer to be accused of overpaying this QB or letting him walk and doing worse with his replacement?

What would you have had the Joneses do with no option on the team because they had ignored that position? Let Prescott walk and do what? Before you answer that, consider their record with that position since 1989. A no brainer #1 pick, a lucky acquisition UDFA because of a coach on the team and a 4th rounder that was the 3rd choice in that draft. Are you forgetting that this brain trust tried to trade up for Lynch and would have taken Cook? Now consider all the other players that have suited up for QB of the DC.

You must first consider who is in charge and their track record and being good with 1st round OL is not the QB game. Take a look at the 1st round QB's that the jury is still out on.

The Joneses never really had a choice with Prescott but to pay him once he took that tag and played.

Do not think the dissatisfaction for Dak Prescott that some have here is what the majority of Cowboys fans feel and that is what the Joneses will read first. This is entertainment first with Booger and he wasn't about to take a chance on another QB when this one was driving jersey sales, getting his unfair share of national media coverage and speaking for him so well publicly.

Dak Prescott is THE Good Soldier QB since Booger has owned the team. 40M? Consider the image of the QB. From Booger's mouth to Prescott's ears and out Prescott's mouth. Do not underestimate the critical importance of that one thing with this owner.

Brady is calling the league out for sloppy play, Rodgers is calling his teammates out and Prescott? Ever the Good Soldier, a real team guy. Put a price on that for a multi billionaire.

And you thought this was about football.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't read a defense. Holding the ball too long. Not passing with anticipation. Send a man across the formation and watch Dak's High passes. Behind passes. Late passes. Dirt passes.
Dak can only throw the deep ball(sometimes) and comebacks(sometimes). He can't hit a moving target in stride to save his life across the formation. And you wonder why KM runs these basic plays. Dak is why.

This clown demanded to be paid like the best of the best. He was offered a fair contract, but he demanded the big dog contract.
Now he gets the big dog treatment. Put up or shut up. He hasn't done either. His play is bad and talks way too much.

Post of the month.......

He can't put it out cause he just doesn't have it........and never will as you cannot coach the talentless!!!!!

mcmvp

Reaction score
Roseman is unpredictable enough he just might do that. He really doesn't give a bleep what people think.

Yeah a few years ago he made a comment about wanting to be a ‘QB factory’. A lot of people thought it was an arrogant comment, and it probably was. But this is what I hope he meant by it.

Maintain a very solid overall roster by never having more than a rookie quarterback contract on the payroll. Then a second or third round QB can appear to look a lot better than he is… So you then can trade him for more because of that perceived value. Wash, rinse, repeat…

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We hear it to often. He is not a 40 million dollar QB. I think he is. JJ made him one. It was the market price at the time for a starting QB. Once he got paid he was expected to get us to the SB. Had some set backs. But let’s see what happens. If we one the SB then there will still be people that complain about him. But at least if we won it all they would be forced to admit that they just don’t like him.
I’m not sure where these expectations come from to get us to a Super Bowl once he’s paid?

These “ expectations” sound superficial and lay the groundwork for these mindsets which drive the disappointments.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I’m not sure where these expectations come from to get us to a Super Bowl once he’s paid?

These “ expectations” sound superficial and lay the groundwork for these mindsets which drive the disappointments.
Absolutely. But people thought ok now he is paid so no more worry for Dak. He was never worried. If we didn’t pay him then another team would have. Like paying him a certain amount elevates his skills. Lol. If that’s the case give him 50 and we go back to back SB wins.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Absolutely. But people thought ok now he is paid so no more worry for Dak. He was never worried. If we didn’t pay him then another team would have. Like paying him a certain amount elevates his skills. Lol. If that’s the case give him 50 and we go back to back SB wins.
The attachment of his salary to expectations of winning a SB is more talking points for the hacks, nothing more.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If we just keep the balanced run first formula with 12 personnel and play action then we will go far. Play to his strengths. We have a good Defense and ST.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we just keep the balanced run first formula with 12 personnel and play action then we will go far. Play to his strengths. We have a good Defense and ST.
Problem with these expectations is it sets up for disappointments which could be beyond our control.

We have had some great championship caliber teams in our history which simply lost to greater teams like the 60’s Packers,70’s Steelers and 80’s Niners.

We were disappointed we lost and believed we had a great enough team to win. But this rhetoric we see is being driven by media and social media hacks. Nothing more.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah a few years ago he made a comment about wanting to be a ‘QB factory’. A lot of people thought it was an arrogant comment, and it probably was. But this is what I hope he meant by it.

Maintain a very solid overall roster by never having more than a rookie quarterback contract on the payroll. Then a second or third round QB can appear to look a lot better than he is… So you then can trade him for more because of that perceived value. Wash, rinse, repeat…
And you only pay that QB if he turns out to be a Burrow or Allen type.

kskboys

Reaction score

It's the direct opposite. Once you pay your QB a huge amount, your chances of getting to the dance drop precipitously.

LittleD

Reaction score
So, there’s no responsibility on our ownership, front office and coaching staffs for not seeing all of these weaknesses you have presented and still paying him?

If you were owner , you wouldn’t have paid him? Right

No way...tank the season, play the backup rest of the season and then draft 1st or 2nd in next year's draft. That's the winning ticket.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Can't read a defense. Holding the ball too long. Not passing with anticipation. Send a man across the formation and watch Dak's High passes. Behind passes. Late passes. Dirt passes.
Dak can only throw the deep ball(sometimes) and comebacks(sometimes). He can't hit a moving target in stride to save his life across the formation. And you wonder why KM runs these basic plays. Dak is why.

This clown demanded to be paid like the best of the best. He was offered a fair contract, but he demanded the big dog contract.
Now he gets the big dog treatment. Put up or shut up. He hasn't done either. His play is bad and talks way too much.

LOL, I knew the Horsemen would love the post.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
For me yes.

Over paying the QB means less $ for the skill positions he needs to succeed. There has to be a balance between all these guys. Because the way Stephen has chosen to use the cap it makes it harder to build above average rosters when non elite guys are making elite money. Not just the QB but add in Dlaw and Zeke too. Sometimes this happens and i'd be more accepting of it but then they do stupid crap like ship cooper off for a late pick just to save $ to roll over and help account the the huge QB cap hit next year. And then you have a small sample but Rush is 4-1 this year and 5-1 on his career so it's possible you pay a QB less than max and still be able to win games. The question is if Dak or any QB made less would the team invest that savings into the skill players it needs to become an elite unit? I would hope so but that is not always the case. I want them to build an elite roster but they insist on overpaying to keep good talent.