Is Dak Disrespecting the Cowboys?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Why anyone would side with management/ownership when it comes to matters of compensation is beyond me.

Because if the owners don't act responsibly and in stead just pay what players want, before long they'll only be able to afford about 12 players and they will have to go back to the old days where players played both ways.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Why anyone would side with management/ownership when it comes to matters of compensation is beyond me.
The time to side with players is during the negotiation of the CBA. That sets how big of a pie players get to split. After that, it's alright to side with ownership. Players are really only fighting with each other to see how much of a team's salary cap they can stake claim to.

lockster

Reaction score
I understand each sides view, I don't see a good guy or bad guy in this. I think too often people need someone to blame, both sides are looking at what they feel is best for them. In the end I do think something will get worked out. Then we can listen to how Jerry overpaid lol
This is a Sport. Which means, the customer is king. Making fans happy by winning should be job number one. Dak is about making as many dollars as possible, regardless of what it does to win loss column. Dak is the bad guy

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
He is essentially spitting in Tom Landry's face.

This is the most foolish comment I've seen here in a long time. Coach Landry who was around before free agency where the Cowboys could just tell a player sign for this or you won't be playing until you do. Players had 2 options, sign or sit out a year and then hope another team offers more than what he turned down. So now you think in a completely different era that it's spitting In Coach Landry's face. How funny!!!!

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
All of these pundits want is to see Dallas crash and burn....plain and simple. Booger blew it years ago by not locking Dak up at a lower price, but he is actually doing the right thing now....if Dak was one of Boogers favorites, he would have been signed a long time ago.

Ya because people like you think that all the Cowboys have to do is make an offer and Prescott has to sign it. Ya Prescott hasn't had any say in this, it's all on the Cowboys. Ya right and all my chickens have lips.

Mannix

Reaction score
-------Ya because people like you think that all the Cowboys have to do is make an offer and Prescott has to sign it. Ya Prescott hasn't had any say in this, it's all on the Cowboys. Ya right and all my chickens have lips.

Chill junior....my response was to the following statement

"All of the pundits and former players on the NFL shows say that the Cowboys are disrespecting Dak by not caving into his demands"

None of these "pundits" give two S's about Dallas....they are just pushing Cowboys fans hot buttons.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The time to side with players is during the negotiation of the CBA. That sets how big of a pie players get to split. After that, it's alright to side with ownership. Players are really only fighting with each other to see how much of a team's salary cap they can stake claim to.

I'm not on the players side for CBA negotiations either. Right now players get 48.5% or almost half the revenue but the owners still have to pay all the coaches and support staff and their share of cost in the stadiums they're in. They have to pay all taxes from the stadiums, they have to pay for practice facilities. It's not like after they decide what the players get that the remainder for the owners is pure profit. After everything is said and done there are a couple of players that actually make more in one year than some of the owner's net profit. In what world does an individual employee make more than the owner of a business?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No because they allow it. They allow players to dictate and demand more than they should.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Keeping players contracts confidential would solve a lot of problems.
No one needs to know what another player is making.
Exactly. At first it was cool, but the majority of fans just can’t deal with the information effectively. I used to be one of those fans with my most deep into the salary cap. It’s fruitless.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Exactly. At first it was cool, but the majority of fans just can’t deal with the information effectively. I used to be one of those fans with my most deep into the salary cap. It’s fruitless.

Yup, don't they keep the salaries confidential in hockey?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Yup, don't they keep the salaries confidential in hockey?
Good question. I have no clue. I have a Buckeye alumni I chat with all day at work who lives in Columbus and supports the Blue Jackets, so I have been following them for the past year or so, but not to the extent of learning the ins and outs of the league.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Good question. I have no clue. I have a Buckeye alumni I chat with all day at work who lives in Columbus and supports the Blue Jackets, so I have been following them for the past year or so, but not to the extent of learning the ins and outs of the league.

Yeah, cuz I follow the Vegas Golden Knights, and I like hockey a lot. Yet, I rarely if ever hear about salaries. Would be nice if the NFL was like that.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I feel I was disrespected a few weeks ago because my numbers were not pick by either the Powerball or Megamillions. I mean they could have picked my 6 numbers.

ondaedg

Reaction score
You know, when I was younger, first getting started in the IT industry, I worked for a company based out of Albuquerque NM. I landed a pretty big services deal and was supposed to get paid 20% on it. That would have worked out to about 1.4 mil. Now, the Company I was working for would have never paid me on that and I knew it. So, I asked to be paid what my normal compensation would have been on a deal of this size, which would have paid me around 245K. Why was I willing to do that? Because I was young, divorced, working three jobs and trying to move out of a two bedroom apartment so that my Son could have a yard and a decent place to live. That Company rejected my offer and offered me 30K to settle up. I turned in my resignation and caught a plane to Sunnyvale Ca., where I got another job and from there, I worked my way up until I made a lot more then I ever imagined I would in my life.

That company owed me that money and I certainly earned it. But I understood the business and so I made the best of it and I moved on. Sometimes it's not about how good or bad you are, sometimes it's not about what a person deservers or doesn't deserve. Sometimes it's just business and you have to understand that. Sometimes you just have to make the best of it.

Great story of turning a negative event into a positive life changing decision. You didn’t sit there and stew over it you moved on and found something better.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
All of the pundits and former players on the NFL shows say that the Cowboys are disrespecting Dak by not caving into his demands. Well, it can just as easy to say that Dak is disrespecting the Cowboys by holding out for a contract that will put him in the top tear of QB's pay wise while not achieving Top Tear success on the field. Along with not seeming to care that meeting his demands will hinder the teams ability to field a team necessary to help them achieve post season success.
no he isnt. Thats what the market is. I dont think Dallas is disrespecting him either. They made him a fair offer. The only reason he didnt accept early was hs agent was pushing for 4 yrs.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, cuz I follow the Vegas Golden Knights, and I like hockey a lot. Yet, I rarely if ever hear about salaries. Would be nice if the NFL was like that.
I finally figured I would rather have talent on the field rather than better numbers on a spreadsheet. And while there may be better talent in the league, it’s hard to actually have access to that talent. We can’t just go get Mahomes from KC because he is better than Dak.

ondaedg

Reaction score
They are both negotiating and, so far, it appears to be in good faith. They just can't seem to come to an agreement. It hasn't gotten ugly and Dak hasn't gone to Cabo to hold out. Right now the fans are the only ones having a hard time dealing with the business aspect of the league in terms of contract negotiation.

Right both sides bring their needs to the table and they work something out. Deals have been made for thousands of years and this one is no different.

Jimbo69

Reaction score
Sorry not everyone agree with you. Dak contact within 3 years will not even be top 5 money, the cap will continue to grow., Evidently you see only 1 year in front of you. If you told me the cap will never budge then I would be more willing to agree but these contract are not some 1 year thing, and guys who looked to be making league high 3 years ago is not even top 5 money and considered a pretty damn good deal. So claiming if we do this deal that our window is 1 year? BS

And then Daks contract will be up for renewal and he will want another 20% of the cap space. It's grounding day, that's why he wanted a 4 year deal, so he can screw the team in perpetuity.

It's not the dollars it's the length and its effect on the cap, Dak wants to eat his cake now and again when the cap goes up in future.

This QB driven league ( instigated by the commisioner) has teams gutting themselves to pay stupid QB salaries and praying the draft works out.

Pay him this cash now and this team has little or no chance of winning a SB. He just isn't that great a QB. Even with the weapons ( which will go eventually as a result of his salary).

Good guy, team like him. Bad business. However, saying all that the Jones gang will give him more or less what he wants, this site will moan when we go at best one and done and those that banged the Dak drum will slide away or change their username and join in the criticism.

Plus ca change.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Roethlisberger is about to do it with Pitts.

Roethlisberger is not one of these younger QBs. He's at the end and he won't get another mega contract. All he's doing is turning over his existing money so that he can make sure it's getting guaranteed. See, the money that is not fully guaranteed can be lost, as I'm sure you know. But when you are extended and restructured, that money becomes guaranteed so no, he's not doing the same thing. He's trying to hold on to what he already has, he's not trying to get another mega deal, I'm thinking but hey, if Pittsburgh is willing to sign him to a big money extension, good. They are gonna get stuck with a painful cap hit.