Is Dak Playing Better Due to The Threat That Is Trey Lance?

Chasing6

Reaction score
he won't be next year
Lance wants an opportunity to start. He will never get that in Dallas. We are not going to pick up his 5th year option. So at the end of next year he will be a free agent and will want to go to a ****** team with an opportunity to start.

End of story.

exciter

Reaction score
Dak is playing his best ball ever and what is interesting about that? Trey Lance is on the roster. I have a suspicion that Trey Lance is playing well in training camp and is putting pressure on Dak. What if this is why we signed Lance? To up Dak’s game? I have some opinions on Jerry, but what if this was his master plan all along? We now have a starting qb and a backup who is good enough to start.

A bit of a conspiracy theory but anybody else jumping on board?
lol, what threat is Trey Lance exactly? He’s a top 5 draft pick that was jettisoned by his team after 2 seasons. Any belief he can play or some sort of threat is pure fantasy and delusion!

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Dak is playing his best ball ever and what is interesting about that? Trey Lance is on the roster. I have a suspicion that Trey Lance is playing well in training camp and is putting pressure on Dak. What if this is why we signed Lance? To up Dak’s game? I have some opinions on Jerry, but what if this was his master plan all along? We now have a starting qb and a backup who is good enough to start.

LOL.....LOL.........LOL.............

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Lance was/is coming for Cooper Rush's spot. That was the intention behind the trade and it remains the intention now.

To think anything else is just perpetuating theories born between the ears of the anti-Dak crowd that have zero real-life value.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Lance was/is coming for Cooper Rush's spot. That was the intention behind the trade and it remains the intention now.

To think anything else is just perpetuating theories born between the ears of the anti-Dak crowd that have zero real-life value.
That may have been Jerry's intention. Even though Rush proved himself as and adequate. back up.

I seriously doubt that is Trey Lance's intention? Unless he is planning to back up Dak for the next 5 years.

Trey Lance has a better chance seeing the field as a WR on this team.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
That may have been Jerry's intention. Even though Rush proved himself as and adequate. back up.

I seriously doubt that is Trey Lance's intention? Unless he is planning to back up Dak for the next 5 years.

Trey Lance has a better chance seeing the field as a WR on this team.
In 2022 Dallas won with Rush because the defense was lights out and he didn't make mistakes. In his five games the Cowboys only scored nine offensive touchdowns.

In Lance the Cowboys hope to have a backup they can with with, not win in spite of. And Lance knows if he really shows well in the preseason, he could be traded again. And Dallas could get an even higher pick than the 4th they gave up to get Lance.

Chasing6

Reaction score
In 2022 Dallas won with Rush because the defense was lights out and he didn't make mistakes. In his five games the Cowboys only scored nine offensive touchdowns.

In Lance the Cowboys hope to have a backup they can with with, not win in spite of. And Lance knows if he really shows well in the preseason, he could be traded again. And Dallas could get an even higher pick than the 4th they gave up to get Lance.
Keep in mind that is why the Niners drafted him to begin with. They had the ideal situation for any young inexperienced QB to be successful in. A great Defense, a great OLine, offensive weapons and a great offensive minded HC and it still did not work out for him. That is the same reason why Mr. Irrelevant is thriving and learning on the job.

Does he have potential absolutely yes. However he has no feel for the game. He has not played enough. 500 pass attempts over the last 10 years in - HS, College and now the NFL combined. There are JC QB's that have more experience.

Lance needs to play. He needs reps – and the kind of live game reps you cannot get in practice or even in preseason games, which feature backups and vanilla schemes. He is way behind. Needs to go get experience in Arena Football or Canada.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
If we traded a 2nd rd pick for Lance, then yes. Jerry is lots of things, and you cannot give me one reason why on earth they would drop him after 1 year in the system. Now, if Dak got hurt and they gave him a chance to play and he fell on his face sure, but again....there is zero reason to dump him as things stand
With a $5M cap hit next year the Cowboys will need to extend him and get that number down. I don't see them getting that number down below where Rush is and they already know what they have in Rush. They are not keeping all 3.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

You have actually seen Lance play at all have you? He is an awful QB

Chasing6

Reaction score
I am pretty sure the Niners have seen him play more than anyone.

Chasing6

Reaction score
None of the early offers the 49ers received for Lance included a fourth-round pick. “It wasn't anywhere close,” General Manager John Lynch said, via Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle. Then, the Cowboys called, and owner Jerry Jones said they wanted Lance so badly they weren't hanging up the phone.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Keep in mind that is why the Niners drafted him to begin with. They had the ideal situation for any young inexperienced QB to be successful in. A great Defense, a great OLine, offensive weapons and a great offensive minded HC and it still did not work out for him. That is the same reason why Mr. Irrelevant is thriving and learning on the job.

Does he have potential absolutely yes. However he has no feel for the game. He has not played enough. 500 pass attempts over the last 10 years in - HS, College and now the NFL combined. There are JC QB's that have more experience.

Lance needs to play. He needs reps – and the kind of live game reps you cannot get in practice or even in preseason games, which feature backups and vanilla schemes. He is way behind. Needs to go get experience in Arena Football or Canada.
It still amazes me the 49ers gave up so much to draft a quarterback as raw as Lance. I think they overestimated their coaching staff's ability and thought they had the next face of the franchise.

I agree with all of your points, but all the physical talent San Fran loved is still there. In terms of arm and athletic ability Lance is way ahead of Rush. And Dallas doesn't need Lance to be "the guy", they just need him to be a better backup than Rush. I would give Lance every snap in all three preseason games next summer just to see if he can be that.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Trey Lance won't be on the roster this time next year. Dak knew that before I did.
I'm not sure Dak will survive the next 5 games. He does put himself in harm's way...and look at all the other QBs that are gone already. He's also a triple target: QB, QB of the Cowboys, Potential-MVP QB of the Cowboys.

Trey Lance is smart insurance. I'm not giving up all my numbers from girls that want me...not until the wedding. Lots can happen on the way to the alter. :0

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
It still amazes me the 49ers gave up so much to draft a quarterback as raw as Lance. I think they overestimated their coaching staff's ability and thought they had the next face of the franchise.

I agree with all of your points, but all the physical talent San Fran loved is still there. In terms of arm and athletic ability Lance is way ahead of Rush. And Dallas doesn't need Lance to be "the guy", they just need him to be a better backup than Rush. I would give Lance every snap in all three preseason games next summer just to see if he can be that.
Lance's biggest issue is that he needs reps. Dak did too...we are on year 8 of his reps. Romo said he figured it out in a game against Peyton Manning in 2012...year 8 for him. The biggest question with all 3 is it worth CONTINUED investment? Well, if Dak is playing like he is now...obviously not. But if Dak is playing he did against SF in the playoffs, the smart move is to do what Shanahan did in SF: Garropolo, we like you and thank you, but you are NOT that guy and we need to find someone.

Jerry's move to get Trey Lance is about doing what our TWO BIGGEST NEMESIS DID: Dump Wentz, Dump Garropolo and look elsewhere. Both kept using picks and made trades to get QBs.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Lance's biggest issue is that he needs reps. Dak did too...we are on year 8 of his reps. Romo said he figured it out in a game against Peyton Manning in 2012...year 8 for him. The biggest question with all 3 is it worth CONTINUED investment? Well, if Dak is playing like he is now...obviously not. But if Dak is playing he did against SF in the playoffs, the smart move is to do what Shanahan did in SF: Garropolo, we like you and thank you, but you are NOT that guy and we need to find someone.

Jerry's move to get Trey Lance is about doing what our TWO BIGGEST NEMESIS DID: Dump Wentz, Dump Garropolo and look elsewhere. Both kept using picks and made trades to get QBs.
Dak is so much better than both Garropolo and Wentz but I see your point. I mean we could argue Hurts is as much a product of Philly's system now as Jimmy G was in San Fran. Dak's poor playoff performances against SF the past two years coincided with bad performances by the entire team. I acknowledge Dak was bad, but it's not like he was dragging the team down in those games. They were kind of all being dragged down at once.

Acquiring Lance was simply a chance to improve the roster. Dallas only spent a 4th round pick to get a guy that once had 1st round pedigree. Low risk-high reward move. I think some fans try to make more of this than it really is. Kind of like saying the trade for Noah Igbinoghene- another former 1st rounder- is some kind of threat to Trevon Diggs. And we all know it's not.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Dak is so much better than both Garropolo and Wentz but I see your point. I mean we could argue Hurts is as much a product of Philly's system now as Jimmy G was in San Fran. Dak's poor playoff performances against SF the past two years coincided with bad performances by the entire team. I acknowledge Dak was bad, but it's not like he was dragging the team down in those games. They were kind of all being dragged down at once.

Acquiring Lance was simply a chance to improve the roster. Dallas only spent a 4th round pick to get a guy that once had 1st round pedigree. Low risk-high reward move. I think some fans try to make more of this than it really is. Kind of like saying the trade for Noah Igbinoghene- another former 1st rounder- is some kind of threat to Trevon Diggs. And we all know it's not.
Agree with most of your first paragraph wholeheartedly. But Dak being such a great leader - and he is a great leader - means that if he plays poorly, the team is not far behind. Jerry said it himself this past week: Dak drives EVERYTHING...coaches, players, staff, etc. "To whom much is given, much is expected..." and Dak raises the expectation by being the leader and the QB. Only Captain America himself has done this for our franchise so it's not easy, but ...when he goes into a shell against SF...your leader...it can't help.

I think it was a hedge against Dak's injuries and a chance to let him know that he's not automatically the guy. Have you seen the success we've had with 4th rounders? Heck..Dak was a 4th rounder...so I truly do think it was Jerry hedging. He didn't consult with anyone...and I bet he had those playoff collapses and his mortality in mind.