Is Dak Prescott And Kirk Cousins In The Same Class?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they’re fair comparisons even though both have their own unique strengths and opportunities. As for Dak’s better winning pct, in my opinion the Boys have surrounded him with more talent. Both Dak and Cousins responsible for winning and losing games. Good enough to not be backups, sometimes going to make you believe it’s the year, but not going to take the team on their shoulders to the Super Bowl,
I do not see the Cowboys letting Diggs get away like the Vikings did. That Cousins-Diggs combo was a top 3.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's correct, however, in hindsight the best option would of been to sign Micah, release/trade Dak and spend the CAP saving on a QB and/or improve the holes in the roster.
What QB would you have replaced Prescott with? And Micah has nothing to do with Prescott, he's on a rook deal.

75boyz

Reaction score
This OP represents one of my more common post history narratives in quarterback comparison.

Flirt with 3 or 4 to 1 TD/int ratio and somewhere between 65-70% comp. percentage. Annual end of year passer rating highly respectable.
All the while having a poor record against winning teams.

Cousins has had to compete against Rodgers within that division as well.

I don't rank an on his last legs Eli or Wentz in that class of divisional competition.

But yeah, these 2 QBs are quite similar.

Oh yeah, and when you point this out to many here there is either no response or a strawman personal attack because they are incapable of denying the similarities.

Fun stuff.

jmo

Last edited:

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I think one of the fundamental disagreements between the pro-Dak people and the people who aren't his biggest fans is the evaluation of the team around Dak.

IMO, as a rookie Dak had a fantastic offense around him. Easily the best line in football, best RB in football and some good receivers. That deteriorated over time but this past year still had an average O line and good receivers with a defense that created a lot of turnovers and short fields. Dak has NEVER had a "Stafford in Detroit" type situation to deal with but many of his fans seem to think he has.

All the great QB's frequently have to deal with some aspect of the team that isn't perfect and overcome it. With Dak, much like Cousins, they can't.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The important question is do the Joneses believe that or do they think they've got a top 5 QB?

Remember when they started in on building the OL and the son admitted they hadn't given Romo enough protection? Does the Cowboys FO learn from history or repeat it?

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Jared Goff and Dak Prescott have comparable stats. Dak’s are slightly better in terms of TDs and Ints but Goff played in a Super Bowl. Also, Goff has one season of Detroit stink on him.

I think Dak is a better QB. I imagine most would agree. The stats would say not by a lot, though. Dallas might actually be a better team than the Rams. Is the difference coaching? Ownership? QB?

https://www.statspros.com/dak-prescott-vs-jared-goff-stats/amp/

Creeper

Reaction score
The sooner the Cowboys learn it is not all about the QB and that it takes 22 guys, the faster we will return to a Super Bowl.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If I were choosing my starting QB for 2022 between those two, I’d select Dak every time, and my guess is most NFL guys would as well. Cousins rep has suffered a little over many years of being a top paid QB without winning anything. If Dak doesn’t win anything with Dallas, his rep will end up in the same place. This past year and in years to come, a couple playoff wins in the same year will reinvigorate Dak’s reputation as an upper echelon QB, but not top 3-4. If he and the Cowboys continue to disappoint in the playoffs, and especially if he plays poorly in those games, his career will be viewed exactly like Cousins, as a good QB who was overpaid but couldn’t win when it mattered.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think one of the fundamental disagreements between the pro-Dak people and the people who aren't his biggest fans is the evaluation of the team around Dak.

IMO, as a rookie Dak had a fantastic offense around him. Easily the best line in football, best RB in football and some good receivers. That deteriorated over time but this past year still had an average O line and good receivers with a defense that created a lot of turnovers and short fields. Dak has NEVER had a "Stafford in Detroit" type situation to deal with but many of his fans seem to think he has.

All the great QB's frequently have to deal with some aspect of the team that isn't perfect and overcome it. With Dak, much like Cousins, they can't.
Prescott stepped into a dream job for a rookie QB and that was because he was picked so late and not like many of the rook QB's that have to go to a JAX.

He also lucked out that he didn't get the job until late in the off season so they didn't have time to screw with his head, just execute. When they threw all of the stuff at him in his soph season that most rookie starting QB's get, he regressed.

I watch a ton of college ball and one thing that has impressed me with Prescott, he has improved since he came into the league like very few I've seen. Burrows, Lawrence and Herbert are playing like they did in college that got them picked high.

The one thing I am not on board with is the love or hate, just like I wasn't with Romo. The other issue I have is that the ones that hate him do not have a good alternative to him. I do not look at it like we are stuck with him. They could do worse and have...many times. Might not want to pay him that but we are damned lucky to have him considering what we've had.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The sooner the Cowboys learn it is not all about the QB and that it takes 22 guys, the faster we will return to a Super Bowl.
First, they have to draft or sign those other players. Other than Parsons, we don't know about this last crop of rookies.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Jared Goff and Dak Prescott have comparable stats. Dak’s are slightly better in terms of TDs and Ints but Goff played in a Super Bowl. Also, Goff has one season of Detroit stink on him.

I think Dak is a better QB. I imagine most would agree. The stats would say not by a lot, though. Dallas might actually be a better team than the Rams. Is the difference coaching? Ownership? QB?
Dallas a better team than the Rams? What?!
That’s laughable in my opinion. The Rams defense is head and shoulders better than Dallas. Their offense is better too. I would trade our receivers for the Rams in an instant. I’d trade TEs. I’d trade starting RBs. While I wouldn’t trade QBs long term due to Stafford age and INT issues, for one season, I’d trade QBs.
I would hate losing Parsons, but I would trade our entire defense for theirs. And yes, I’d trade head coaches as well.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
What QB would you have replaced Prescott with? And Micah has nothing to do with Prescott, he's on a rook deal.

:huh: are you keeping up with the thread, it's concerning whether it's more beneficial to have paid Dak (and draft Micah) or let Dak go and draft Jones (saving CAP space).

What i'm saying is that the experiment of keeping Dak has failed miserably (in year one) as he doesnt have a style of play, the offense looks to be average across the board.....and we've got no CAP space to make any real difference.

My point was that in hindsight the Dak extension is going to hinder us and that looking at the team first (QB second, one that fits the scheme) may have been the best formula. As has happened this season, teams can succeed without the elite Franchise QB.

Our three issues are : 1) obsession with names, rather than ability, 2) Jones belief that we have to contend each year 3) having to put in so many league minimum JAGS as starters as we've spent the CAP on elite names.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Dallas a better team than the Rams? What?!
That’s laughable in my opinion. The Rams defense is head and shoulders better than Dallas. Their offense is better too. I would trade our receivers for the Rams in an instant. I’d trade TEs. I’d trade starting RBs. While I wouldn’t trade QBs long term due to Stafford age and INT issues, for one season, I’d trade QBs.
I would hate losing Parsons, but I would trade our entire defense for theirs. And yes, I’d trade head coaches as well.

I was thinking this year’s Dallas team over the Goff Rams. I’m also being a bit lazy and not looking it up so I could be wrong.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Washington did the right thing in not paying Cousins. That's not the reason why they are still looking for a QB. They had the 2nd pick in the 2020 NFL draft. They chose a defensive lineman. Maybe they don't want a QB.
Dont know about Washington, but going to the Vikings has been better for Cousins.
His last 4 years have been very good, though not great
At least on paper, they have compared favorably to Dak’s last 4

Redline360

Reaction score
Yes been saying this for several years. However, I think Dak is slightly better and *was* widening that gap at one point. Personally I think Cousins gets way to much hate on this forum.

Dak has also had far superior teams around him for most of his career and when the talent was somewhat equal Cousins put up better numbers.

I feel like one of the tools arguing about stats lol

glimmerman

Reaction score
I am giving Dak this year. I know he has been in the league for a while now and most will say he is what he is. Looking at the first half of the year it was lights out for this “team”.. They ended the Dak streak with a win against a tough pats team in OT. After that game I am thinking what alot of us was. This team feels different. Then that day we find out he was injured. I believe it was a reinjury of his broken leg. Not really a calf injury or the injury was worse than led on.

He knows running is part of his game. When nothing was there or flushed he would run. Even had designed runs. After the injury and especially the reinjury he was afraid. I heard it takes 2 years almost to fully heal from that terrible injury. The team had a lot of problems including the coaching. So we saw this team beat good teams. Not so sure Moore had a game plan or the talent took care of it. If Dak continues to play like the second half of last season then I will be over it. But if the team can be the support cast then they can make it. If you get hot and keep hitting defenses with some short passes and a run game then you can beat any team, especially if we have a top 10 Defense. Get the O-Line fixed and he is better top 10 QB. He has to have things around him..

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

But I also think one thing that you have to understand that in today’s NFL no one gets that perfect dominant 22 man roster like our team did in the 90’s. Having that special QB who can play with a poor offensive line (Burrow), do it without a running game (Rodgers), can run and create plays (Mahomes), is clutch in the biggest games (Eli), or just lift the entire team around him (Brady) is more important than ever.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Yes been saying this for several years. However, I think Dak is slightly better and *was* widening that gap at one point. Personally I think Cousins gets way to much hate on this forum.

Dak has also had far superior teams around him for most of his career and when the talent was somewhat equal Cousins put up better numbers.

I feel like one of the tools arguing about stats lol
I felt the comparison was much closer when Dak would use his legs. His legs made up for the gap between him and Cousins when it comes to being a pure pocket passer. I still had Cousins ahead of him in my preseason rankings before the season though, but it was very close. I had Dak 11th and Cousins 10th.

Now that Dak has decided to be a pure pocket passer I believe Cousins has widened that gap some.