Is Dak Prescott And Kirk Cousins In The Same Class?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
2 things..
A) why is comparing any QB to Cousins bad? He has talent and really has played for 2 franchises that are not run much better than ours the last 26 years.
B) once again if winning the SB makes you elite then it makes the "Time and Place" factor even bigger on what makes a player better than others.

Those are just facts...the only breaker is TB12...other than that none of the QB's have cornered the SB market.. So yeah there are 10 -12 ish QB's in this league that can play really good ball and have a shot if the team around them is good..shocking news.

75boyz

Reaction score
I do not see the Cowboys letting Diggs get away like the Vikings did. That Cousins-Diggs combo was a top 3.

Usually onboard with the majority of your posts so I do not mean this personally but only in disagreement.
I mean, Cousins to Jefferson? 1600yds and 10 TDs as a sophomore this yr and 1400. yds and 7 TDs as a rook?

Additionally...read the strengths and weaknesses of Prescott Draftwire report from 6 years ago and share where there's been significant change to now as indicated in his initial scouting report.

Just my opinion as always.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
Dont know about Washington, but going to the Vikings has been better for Cousins.
His last 4 years have been very good, though not great
At least on paper, they have compared favorably to Dak’s last 4

Unless it's something that cannot be ignored, I take what's on paper with a grain of salt. I never liked Cousins. At all. I haven't watched him recently, but I did back when he was in Washington, and early Vikings. He had the habit of boneheaded plays and interceptions either in the endzone, or redzone. Dallas doesn't win wee2 in 2016 without one of them. Remember this play?

Kirk Cousins Takes Knee Instead Of Spiking Football, Time Expires - YouTube

I wasn't in favor of paying Dak. But I'll take him over Cousins.

DFWJC

Reaction score
This thread is about now, or at least in the recent past.

If we look at Cousins since has been with Vikings, that is 4 years.
That's a pretty good measure

Here are his numbers in 4 years there
  • 63 games
  • 16387 Passing yards (so >4000/yr average)
  • 124 TDs
  • 36 ints
  • 68.3% comp rate
  • 103.5 Passer rating
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that over that same period--about the last 4 full seasons of games--Cousins' stats have been better.
Does that mean HE's better? Well, it doesn't mean that for sure, but it gives us a base for discussion.

I guess to get Dak's same number of games, we'd have to go back more than 4 season....but again, I don't think he will match those numbers over the last 63 games (or 64 if you choose to make 4 years even)

Someone just said they take numbers with a grain of salt.
Well...if you do that, may as well say anyone is better than anyone.
Numbers arent everything, but they do bring actual measurable facts into the discussion vs only opinion.

Last edited:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Now detect the NFC East teams from these stats and the losing teams we played and you get a realistic stat view of what Prescott talent base level is.....l
All I know is I sure don’t like our record vs the NFC East during Dak’s absence.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Usually onboard with the majority of your posts so I do not mean this personally but only in disagreement.
I mean, Cousins to Jefferson? heck, even Thielen to a slightly lesser extent.

Additionally...read the strengths and weaknesses of Prescott Draftwire report from 6 years ago and share where there's been significant change to now as indicated in his initial scouting report.

Just my opinion as always.
I watched him play his junior and senior seasons at Miss State and this version of him as a passer is improved from then and I was one in that Aikman camp that accuracy cannot be improved once they're in the NFL. He is not in the top 6 accuracy field but he was in the bottom 6 coming in and now I would put him in the second 6.

The strange occurrence of events, just like in high school and college, opened the door for him or we probably don't even have him in a Cowboys uniform now. I have never seen another situation like this. In high school, college and the NFL, he is not good enough to take the starting job away from the #1 but once he gets it, he never gives it back.

75, never a need for a disclaimer to disagree. I do appreciate it that you didn't begin what the others usually begin with, "what? are you nuts"? Because I feel obliged to answer the nuts question first and I do struggle with that one.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
But I also think one thing that you have to understand that in today’s NFL no one gets that perfect dominant 22 man roster like our team did in the 90’s. Having that special QB who can play with a poor offensive line (Burrow), do it without a running game (Rodgers), can run and create plays (Mahomes), is clutch in the biggest games (Eli), or just lift the entire team around him (Brady) is more important than ever.

You've explained the positives of those QB's.....now fit in Dak's? When fit he's an all round good QB, but he needs: the O-Line, the running game, the open receivers to help. The other's on the list are able to perform without all of the unit playing to 100% .....and it's for that reason that we need to concentrate on improving the whole unit.

Qcard

Reaction score
What a dumb *** article. First off, Dak has 37 touchdowns not 27.

Secondly, the article acknowledges Dak wins 62 percent of his games and Cousins wins 50 percent of his games. They are not of the same caliber. A lazy comparison made by lazy people……
I agree Dak Haters are mentally Lazy:lmao2::lmao2:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
You've explained the positives of those QB's.....now fit in Dak's? When fit he's an all round good QB, but he needs: the O-Line, the running game, the open receivers to help. The other's on the list are able to perform without all of the unit playing to 100% .....and it's for that reason that we need to concentrate on improving the whole unit.

He needs a dominant running game to be successful. Like his rookie year, like his first 7 starts this year. If we’re going with Dak, let’s be realistic and aim for this, both with talent and coaching strategy. Anyone remember when we used to say this same thing about Romo when Garrett was entrusting everything to his arm? Yeah, not going to happen. Either draft a franchise QB or build that team around him.

My guess is since Moore got his boy at WR Coach, we’re going to continue as Emmitt said in his recent interview, keep trying the same thing and waste careers.

RonWashington

Reaction score

It’s depressing to contemplate these two in the same category . I mean Cook Jefferson Thielman etc etc it’s not like the Vikings are weapon starved and yet they can’t get it done. Look at Dallas and ask yourself are the weapons in place to move the chains . Yes ! Then the next thought is get some pieces to Oline and Dak should have no excuses .

75boyz

Reaction score
I watched him play his junior and senior seasons at Miss State and this version of him as a passer is improved from then and I was one in that Aikman camp that accuracy cannot be improved once they're in the NFL. He is not in the top 6 accuracy field but he was in the bottom 6 coming in and now I would put him in the second 6.

The strange occurrence of events, just like in high school and college, opened the door for him or we probably don't even have him in a Cowboys uniform now. I have never seen another situation like this. In high school, college and the NFL, he is not good enough to take the starting job away from the #1 but once he gets it, he never gives it back.

75, never a need for a disclaimer to disagree. I do appreciate it that you didn't begin what the others usually begin with, "what? are you nuts"? Because I feel obliged to answer the nuts question first and I do struggle with that one.

Fair enough brother, appreciate ya.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
We don't know how good Jones will eventually be. Right now he is a solid QB not on Dak's level, at least not yet. But I don't want to think about what the Cowboys defense would look like without Parsons.
That also does not consider if we had used the transition tag on Dak, even if we negotiated 1 - 1st rounder for him we could have gotten Mac and Micah and while Dak may be more experienced, the salary differential between Dak's 40 million average and Mac's rookie contract could have left us more cap leverage to plug other holes.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
He needs a dominant running game to be successful. Like his rookie year, like his first 7 starts this year. If we’re going with Dak, let’s be realistic and aim for this, both with talent and coaching strategy. Anyone remember when we used to say this same thing about Romo when Garrett was entrusting everything to his arm? Yeah, not going to happen. Either draft a franchise QB or build that team around him.

My guess is since Moore got his boy at WR Coach, we’re going to continue as Emmitt said in his recent interview, keep trying the same thing and waste careers.

I agree, but we just havent the resources to have everything he needs. It's not a knock on him, it's just that there's more important aspects of the game than keep on putting things his game better. I agree that we need a running game to stop this cover defense, however, there's a distinct argument that if he's not using players like Coop and his 65.4% comp then save the money to develop in other areas (running game and Defense).

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
put carry me dak on those skins team and he's not even in the NFL anymore. sheesh. guy was gifted a very good team and has done absolute nothing with them. woopie one playoff win. Tebow is laughing at that crap.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I agree, but we just havent the resources to have everything he needs. It's not a knock on him, it's just that there's more important aspects of the game than keep on putting things his game better. I agree that we need a running game to stop this cover defense, however, there's a distinct argument that if he's not using players like Coop and his 65.4% comp then save the money to develop in other areas (running game and Defense).

I see the point, but when you have this and subpar QB play, then are you not wasting the defense and run game while searching for the right QB? again its the chicken vs egg thing...but in reality,finding a qaulity QB is way harder than building a defense or run game...right?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If Dak's backup can beat Kirk then what do you think? Cmon guys, Dak is flawed in some ways but he's not that bad. :muttley: The disrespect of Dak gets a bit out of hand around here sometimes. :rolleyes:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
yeah when rush can win with this offensive line, and the starter gets the excuse of the offensive line is crap.
lmao. and has a better win percentage.
cooper said at the least rush can find him in the games while scaredo can't should tell you something