Is Dak worth more than Foles 4 yr 88 million?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Saves more than $28M. It saves the amount it would take to sign him an additional year at the end of the contract lol.

You understand that if we extend him thr remaining year on his contract doesn't just get torn up, right?

If that's what ultimately happens? I'm in. Let me know if and when that does and my own tune will change.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Yeah, but we'll most certainly franchise him or give him an even bigger contract. Why not make a pre-emptive strike?

Also if we were to sign him now with the plan of franchising it becomes even more silly when thinking about the guaranteed portion of the contract he'll require.

Instead of paying him this year and franchising him next year you get no benefit of guaranteed money payoff, where as if we resign him now that's two extra years(contract likely only partially guaranteed into year three) making any contract way less risky.

Extending him does:

1. Saves you from additional market inflation risk
2. Lowers the cap hit in all years outside of next year. And it's very obvious by our spending habits we aren't intending to go all in next year.
3. Pay off almost the entirety of the guaranteed portion of his contract in those first two years
4. The smaller contract he signs now makes him more appealing as trade bait earlier chronologically

It's a no brainer for me

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Foles has multiple playoff wins. and was the superbowl MVP.... does Dak have any of that? or capable of that?
That’s not for me to determine. I’m speaking on behalf of the Cowboys ,their mindset and intentions.

Personally I’m Not totally sold on Dak but the Cowboys appear to be. If that’s the case then they should sign him now and save over time.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I explained why it does. Strictly from a dollars and sense perspective. If I'm not getting a discount, I'm not paying top dollar before I have to.
From a salary cap perspective paying him now even if it is around top dollar lowers the cap hit going forward compared to paying him next year. So if they've already decided he's the guy that would be the smart thing to do.

Personally I like Dak and see the upside but I see his flaws as well. Like I said during the season I would at least like to see him in a more modern offense with a new OC that takes advantage of what he does well. I was all for making him play out the last year and still am really. But SJ appears to be cap conscious and wants as low of a hit going forward as possible.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then your assuming his contract won’t cost us more next year?
If he doesn't improve, does it cost more just because of the escalating QB salaries? Is that inevitable?

As all in on him as they seem to be, the only reason he would get his deal this year is if he wants too much. And if he improves this season, he will want more.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
And like a husband arguing with his wife, they use only the positive outcomes and conveniently gloss over the mistakes.

It's like that tired defense of Booger's ineptitude with those 3 rings. Hell, 23 years ago, I was buff and had a 32" waist.
23 years ago I was a teenager now my hair is going white.

GenoT

Reaction score
Why would it be necessary to pay him more than that?
Just ego for Jerry??
“Just ego for Jerry” is your suggestion — not my statement.

I’ve observed over the past 29 seasons that Jerry, every so often, hasn’t been particularly shy about making a splash-deal for whatever reason we might be left to assume.

We’ll see...

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From a salary cap perspective paying him now even if it is around top dollar lowers the cap hit going forward compared to paying him next year. So if they've already decided he's the guy that would be the smart thing to do.

Personally I like Dak and see the upside but I see his flaws as well. Like I said during the season I would at least like to see him in a more modern offense with a new OC that takes advantage of what he does well. I was all for making him play out the last year and still am really. But SJ appears to be cap conscious and wants as low of a hit going forward as possible.
Agree because the value or warts we see are all based on him in Linehan's offense, which some seem to feel is actually Garrett's offense. We don't even know if there is a Moore offense at this point.

kskboys

Reaction score

If we sign him for the next 4 years, then we will know beyond any doubt what he is.

Yes, I know some of you are pretending to know beyond any doubt what he will be. And there are signs both ways. But the truth is, we don't know for sure either way. 4 more years and we will know.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If he doesn't improve, does it cost more just because of the escalating QB salaries? Is that inevitable?

As all in on him as they seem to be, the only reason he would get his deal this year is if he wants too much. And if he improves this season, he will want more.
Yes, I think it’s inevitable. Escalating salaries..

Right. If he improves he will want more.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we sign him for the next 4 years, then we will know beyond any doubt what he is.

Yes, I know some of you are pretending to know beyond any doubt what he will be. And there are signs both ways. But the truth is, we don't know for sure either way. 4 more years and we will know.
Right

And we really don’t have to wait that long. Look what Jags are doing with Borytles before his 3 year deal is done. He fizzled out and they are moving on.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Thats a pretty good number to use as a barometer.

Initially I thought Bortyles 3 years 50 million was a good place to start for Dak but since he’s being released by Jags for Foles that might not be a good measuring stick.

If Dak was a FA would he receive this type of Foles deal ? I’m not sure..

Thoughts ...

Yes he is. Pull up Dak’s career stats and put your finger over his name.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
No doubt, even the haters can’t logically disagree.

There are 15 QBs making over 22 million that foles is getting now for 2019. That sounds not including Winston Mariota and Bortles each just under at 21.