Is Deion Sanders overrated?

plymkr

Reaction score
Putting this out there because I am very curious plus his name came up in the top 3 defender thread.

I say absolutely yes. Great athlete for sure. Elite speed. Great CB but I don’t see him as the best of all time. He was a pure cover guy. Literally avoided tackles and contact. Even joked about it. I think that really hurt his greatness in my opinion. One of the biggest games in his career Irvin abused him plus he got away with a couple pass interference calls. So I say yes. Great player but not the best CB. Not in the discussion in my opinion.

What do you folks say?
I have trouble putting him on my top 3 defenders of all time. How do you put a defensive player as the greatest of all time when he didn't tackle anyone? Deion was one of the softest players on the field.
Fastest- yes
Most athletic- yes
Playmaking ability- big time yes
Change the momentum of a game- yes
Hardest hitting- ha, no
Good tackling- nope
Durability- no, be was very fragile 97, 98

Deion is in my top 5 favorite NFL players to watch, maybe top 10 Cowboys but I can't put him over Reggie, LT, Ray Lewis.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Putting this out there because I am very curious plus his name came up in the top 3 defender thread.

I say absolutely yes. Great athlete for sure. Elite speed. Great CB but I don’t see him as the best of all time. He was a pure cover guy. Literally avoided tackles and contact. Even joked about it. I think that really hurt his greatness in my opinion. One of the biggest games in his career Irvin abused him plus he got away with a couple pass interference calls. So I say yes. Great player but not the best CB. Not in the discussion in my opinion.

What do you folks say?
Deion was a great player. He may not of like tackling but he was so quick he would take a players legs out by diving into him with his shoulder. His cover skills were game changing and he was one of the best CBs in the history of the NFL.

jnday

Reaction score

What do you folks say?
Everybody criticizes his tackling, but he made the tackles without the big hits. As long as he made the tackle, I couldn’t criticize him. I couldn’t stand the guy, but he is by far the best DB in the history of the league. The term “ shut down CB” started with him. I didn’t like the smack talk and showboating, but he is the only CB that could shutdown half of the field. Since he retired, there has been CBs like Revis for example, that was labeled “shutdown CB” and they have been some very good CBs with that label, but Prime was the only one to live up to it. He is coaching at Jackson State, which is an hour from my home, and he is doing a great job. He has totally turned that program around by coaching team work and old school football.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Cause and effect. You understand how that works right?
I do.
The implication here though, is that you have no control over the effect. You have choices. You can choose between the road to Shambala or the highway to Hell.

There is also the other aspect of this. The aspect of.... nobody really cares.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I do.
The implication here though, is that you have no control over the effect. You have choices. You can choose between the road to Shambala or the highway to Hell.

There is also the other aspect of this. The aspect of.... nobody really cares.
Yet you seem to care which says a lot.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Yet you seem to care which says a lot.
Well, kinda, but not really.

I care about you.
I don't care if you insult me and call me mean names.

Really though, it just tickled my funny bone when I read you chastising someone for name calling then calling them a name in the very same sentence. Next thing you know I'm making Three Dog Night references. It sure is a funny world, eh? We'll look back on this and laugh, someday....

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Well, kinda, but not really.

I care about you.
I don't care if you insult me and call me mean names.

Really though, it just tickled my funny bone when I read you chastising someone for name calling then calling them a name in the very same sentence. Next thing you know I'm making Three Dog Night references. It sure is a funny world, eh? We'll look back on this and laugh, someday....
Where did I insult you?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Snark too. This clown has 3 speeds. Tweets. Dak bashing. Snark. Too dumb for originally. You go girl.

Maybe some day I can progress to the level of wondering whether all time great players were overrated.

Give me time.

ghst187

Reaction score
"Overrated"?! Absolutely not. The greatest of all time at that position. Deion intercepted 53 passes (24th all time) for 1,331 yards (fourth all time) in his career. His 25.1 yards per interception return is the best in NFL history, & he’s fifth in interceptions returned for a touchdown (9).

Sanders was an eight-time Pro Bowl nominee, nine-time first-team All-Pro selection, & NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1994. Dang turf toe made him retire.

Agree, guy played like he was on turbo and no one else was. He affected every play of the opposing offense. They were terrified of him. And also, to punt to him.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I think other CBs don't get the recognition they deserve. Like Aeneas Williams. Deion was soft and not all defenses can function with a player like that.

visionary

Reaction score

What do you folks say?

LOL at least learn the game before posting

Deion was the best CB I have ever seen

:facepalm:

Whyjerry

Reaction score
LOL at least learn the game before posting

Deion was the best CB I have ever seen

:facepalm:
Another clown comment. Good luck with camp and pursuing veteran cuts. By the sounds of it teams will be dialing you up to get your view.

Praxit

Reaction score
..he caught that with sun blazing on the ball. Great catch.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
He’s not overrated as a player but he’s overrated at everything else.

He is doing a really good job at coaching over at Jackson State.
---

Wow, after reading this thread, I'm sorry I replied. I don't agree with the personal attacks and all that.

We're all fans of the same team here.

And we're all adults.

Last edited:

StarChamber_33

Reaction score

What do you folks say?
Primetime changed the game and revolutionized the corner back position in the NFL. There was no such thing as a shut-down corner until the likes of Deion Sanders. In his prime QB's would rarely test him, not only for fear of INT but there was a good chance he would take it to the house for a TD. That's what separated Deion from the rest.. For most CB's getting the pick was the highlight of the play, but for Deion it was just the beginning hence the name Primetime. His blazing speed was his greatest weapon, he could high-step faster than most players could run lol.. I can still see #21 in Cowboys silver & blue high-stepping his way to the endzone.. His effect on the game was immense and he made the entire defense better.