Is Garrett coaching for his job Sunday Night?

Stryker44

Reaction score
I imagine if we get blown out..... that some heads might roll. Which led me to think who could take over to save the season?

We all know Jerry has basically neutered Garrett by taking his play calling duties away...So what is Garrett good for? All he does is clap and encourage the players...takes the heat from the media for the front office mess.

And that's about it.

He doesn't make game day decisions. He's not in charge of the 53 roster. Doesn't make the game day 46....

Who couldn't do this job?

Which led me to speculate.....If it worked for Miami hiring Dan Campbell to get things fired up.......then maybe the Cowboys could look towards..............

B70pVXTIgAEw63T.jpg:large

Marc Colombo

A Parcells Disciple.....like Dan Campbell.

Won't take a bunch of BS from the players.......And might instill some fire in the team......

Won't be intimidated by Greg Hardy....like Garrett is.

If we are sitting @ 2-6........I just don't see how Garrett survives 0-6 without Romo. Dave Campo never lost 5 straight...let alone 6. And Stephen Jones just said yesterday....losing 5 straight is "unacceptable".

Which makes me believe with all the expectations this team had going into the season....alot more could be riding on this game than anybody realizes.

That's Colombo? I thought he was a mountain of a man

jwitten82

Reaction score
Garrett is not going anywhere. He has the pulse of the team and he has a system in place that works when the pieces are in place.

Actually, I am mildly surprised the Cowboys have done as well as they have without Romo. They have been in every contest except for the New England game. No way Garrett's job is in jeopardy. Not because of injury.

His "system" relies completely on Romo, ANY coach in the league could win games with him. His system is a joke, because if anybody on offense goes down, then it relies on someone like street to go beat his man. Lol that is a joke of a system.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
You know what, Garrett is a little too comfortable. I want to see some urgency out of his gameplan Sunday night that we haven't seen in the last month. Players shouldnt be the only ones feeling heat.

I think you saw the best of JG's "urgent" game plan as of late. A reverse here, a HB option pass there. I know we all drew this stuff up on the dirt in recess but I think that's all he's got. That and Marinelli.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
That rebuilding meme is on shaky ground when you can't win a game without one player.

What if the "rebuilding" was just the natural turnover of any NFL roster and it was the Elite qb he inherited that kept him above 8-8? What if the 12-4 season was just a perfect storm, a perfect confluence of events, and thus an aberration?

To me, those are just as plausible (and perhaps more plausible by the day) than the myth of the great rebuild.

Show me a team not dependent on their top QB. Then show me the same team losing its second best overall player and offensive weapon.

Natural turnover? Isn't that the same as rebuilding? We don't have hardly any players left from Wade's roster.

12-4 wasn't anything close to perfect. It was a step closer to being dominant again. Imo.

Aven8

Reaction score
I have never liked JG, but it had more to do with him as the play caller. He then gave that up but the offense is stale without Romo. I can't even imagine what he might have done in another offense such as Kubiack/Shanny, or WCO. He might have every record known to man!

What I do not like now about JG is he is gutless. How many opening 12 play, chew 8 minutes up, drives have we had this season that got us only 3?? Sometimes you have to send a message that we came to play. We do that Sunday night and welcome 0-6!

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
For all those that are being VERY critical: go back and read your posts from last year. You weren't saying these things. Or some just weren't posting at all during the winning streak. Only to pop back up when we dropped 2 straight.
Maybe that's how you should handle this losing streak. Or not. But at least be mindful of how that looks to others in your "internet community". :)

jwitten82

Reaction score
For all those that are being VERY critical: go back and read your posts from last year. You weren't saying these things. Or some just weren't posting at all during the winning streak. Only to pop back up when we dropped 2 straight.
Maybe that's how you should handle this losing streak. Or not. But at least be mindful of how that looks to others in your "internet community". :)

Lol no different than Garret supporters, they give him all the credit for last season, but make up every excuse for him during this 5 game losing streak and even during those 8-8 seasons

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Lol no different than Garret supporters, they give him all the credit for last season, but make up every excuse for him during this 5 game losing streak and even during those 8-8 seasons

Only old out of touch people use lol anymore. ;)

daveferr33

Reaction score
I think the ownership would be more inclined to change coordinators than the head coach.

No doubt.

The Carnage left in Garrett's wake is an impressive list:

Wade Phillips
Rob Ryan
Todd Bowles
Dan Reeves (never even got in the door)

When Jerry hired Garrett (remember, before Wade) he decided Garrett would be his Tom Landry (he even said this at one point). That Jerry so casually fired the above, but never considered firing Garrett, is all we really need to know: Garrett is not going anywhere, regardless of the results on the field. The most important thing for the Jones Boys is that they are comfortable. If the past 20 years have taught us anything, that is more important than winning. Garrett allows them to stay comfortable and unchalleged.

Make no mistake about it. Jason Garrett is a genius. Just not a football genius.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
His "system" relies completely on Romo, ANY coach in the league could win games with him. His system is a joke, because if anybody on offense goes down, then it relies on someone like street to go beat his man. Lol that is a joke of a system.

If you say so; you know best.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I would say out of the 32 head coaches in the league, Garret is one of the 7-8 safest right now.
So the exact polar opposite of what some around here think----for better or for worse.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I think you saw the best of JG's "urgent" game plan as of late. A reverse here, a HB option pass there. I know we all drew this stuff up on the dirt in recess but I think that's all he's got. That and Marinelli.

I think you might be right....I watch other NFL games and you see teams WRs run clear out routes to set up pass plays...yet you never see that here. Nor pick plays. Everybody does it...yet we don't. Either we don't know how...or either are too scared to try it.:(

DenCWBY

Reaction score
I think you might be right....I watch other NFL games and you see teams WRs run clear out routes to set up pass plays...yet you never see that here. Nor pick plays. Everybody does it...yet we don't. Either we don't know how...or either are too scared to try it.:(

IF you want to win in the playoffs these days, you have to push against the rule book. Examples - last 2 Super Bowl winners, Seattle's DB play when they beat Denver, that year they were raping WR's knowing the refs would only call a few interference and holding penalties. And Pats specialty esp. when they start getting beat, they call pick plays on offense which again is penalized once or twice a game if at all. Denver was using tons of pic plays when Manning was setting all those records and has toned it down. Whether you like it or not, these teams have won by bending and breaking the rules as part of their game plan.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The board had been really sane and reasonable through the losing streak. I had been secretly impressed. Up until Tuesday of this week apparently, and suddenly we appear to have collectively lost our minds. It's kind of interesting if it weren't so annoying to have to wade through so much garbage to get to good, thoughtful posts anymore.

Please, do your parts everybody to keep discussions to the threads where they're intended. Your frustration or disappointment doesn't need to metastasize into every single topic.

We have a Rant Zone for the sole purpose of holding emotional discussions like this one when the going gets tough, but there comes a point where every thread becomes an emotional rant if you're not careful. That makes the entire forum a less useful resource for everybody.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
no he is not coaching for his job he should be but they will just fire another coach or move some players and next offseason jerry and Stephen will be going around with chest puffed out talking about the super bowl contending team they have built

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
This is ridiculous. This season has begun in a very disappointing manner and somebody has to be blamed. Many of the critics of Jason Garrett are still reeling from the previous season so this seems like an opportune time to resume the bashing. While we are at it, there is still war, cancer, natural disaster and world hunger. Let's pin those on Jason too.

This. The critics see an opening to resume their agenda, so they come out of hibernation if full force. Same thing will happen with Romo critics. They've been quiet for a while now, but let him have a bad game or two (which is inevitable for every QB) and they'll be right back at it. Anybody with even an ounce of sense knows JG's not going anywhere for at least a while. If I had to bet, I'd wager on him finishing his five year deal. To be asking if he'll be fired this year?!?! This can't be a serious question...this has to be a just ploy to incite some people on this site.