Is Garrett the best evaluator of talent we have ever had?

cern

Reaction score
This was the best explanation of the situation for me to date. I've stated this many times I totally believe Jerry has not made a football decision since Johnny Manziel. And he didn't even make that decision. Yes he gets may be the final okay maybe. It's definitely William and Steven my opinion
I agree. Stephen's the man now. he relies much on the advice of will mcclay.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I never said he was an All Pro. I said he was an All Pro capable QB, which he clearly was. I was not talking about Murray, although you can certainly include him in the discussion. I was talking about Barber but that's here nor there. Once again, I never said that he lead the league in rushing, I said he was capable of that but again, here nor there. Do you believe that either of those things is a lie?

Defense was the bigger issue because it was set up to be that way. We had talent on the Defensive side of the ball. By 2012, the decision on the Defensive side of the ball belonged to Garrett so if you want to say that it was bare, who's fault is that? It certainly was not the case when he took the team over. He had, among others, Ware, Ratliff, Spencer, Hatcher, Lee, James, Newman, Jenkins and Sensabaugh. He had talent on the Defensive side of the Ball. If you want to disagree, that's fine but it's not accurate. There was definitely talent on that Defensive unit. Look at the games we lost in the year Garrett took over. Look at the scores of those games. Look at how many times we through the ball in those first 8 games and how long the Defense was on the field. Philips was set up that season and it wasn't because the talent on the Defensive side of the ball was bad. It was because of how the games were called on our side Offensively.
Capable is a subjective description. It’s only applicable in your mind.

Statistically that defense was awful. There were several contributing factors including injuries.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Capable is a subjective description. It’s only applicable in your mind.

So is that a yes or a no? Do you agree that Tony Romo was capable of being an All Pro level QB? Do you agree that Barber was capable of being a league leading rusher?

It's a yes or no thing Diehard.

Big_D

Reaction score
Seriously who comes up with this garbage? People keep searching for things he's supposedly good at. Now he's a Master motivator and the best talent evaluator? lol Not good at Xs and Os' but great in other areas??? I'd like a football coach to actually be good at X and Os that win games instead of some drummed up talk that amounts to the same outcome year in and year out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree. Stephen's the man now. he relies much on the advice of will mcclay.
Stephen so far has only proved he’s a cheapskate.
His RB and WR by committee we’re both disasters.

Daddy had to bail him out making a trade for Cooper or last season would have been a total disaster and in 2015 it probably cost Romo his last shot releasing Murray and mismanaging Dez.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So is that a yes or a no? Do you agree that Tony Romo was capable of being an All Pro level QB? Do you agree that Barber was capable of being a league leading rusher?

It's a yes or no thing Diehard.
No and they never were.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No and they never were.

Fair enough. For the record, Tony should have been and Barber could have been if the Cowboys weren't as concerned with throwing the ball as much as they did. Just saying.

Either way, we don't agree. Garrett got much, much more then most coaches get when taking over a team. He had a team that was loaded and he failed. It's as simple as that to me but if you disagree, thats fine. I will leave it to others to decide if they agree or disagree.

Big_D

Reaction score
Fair enough. For the record, Tony should have been and Barber could have been if the Cowboys weren't as concerned with throwing the ball as much as they did. Just saying.

Either way, we don't agree. Garrett got much, much more then most coaches get when taking over a team. He had a team that was loaded and he failed. It's as simple as that to me but if you disagree, thats fine. I will leave it to others to decide if they agree or disagree.

Romo could've been if his GM wasn't a moron who completely wasted his prime years with poor drafts, a ridiculous trade and crap coaches. Every decision after Parcells did the QB no favors at all.

Sydla

Reaction score

And if the overriding point here that he's trying to make is that Garrett didn't have a really good QB to start his head coaching career with, that would be total BS.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

If you believe he inherited more than Wade did then it’s more than just disagreeing. Lol

Sydla

Reaction score
Very true.

Wade Phillips? Amazing defensive coordinator, awful head coach.

Nothing wrong at being very good at a very specific job.

Some guys have a ceiling. Phillips' was a DC. Much like Charlie Weis probably had a ceiling as an OC.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And if the overriding point here that he's trying to make is that Garrett didn't have a really good QB to start his head coaching career with, that would be total BS.
Disagreeing Romo wasn’t All Pro capable and only a Pro Bowler isn’t saying he wasn’t a very good QB. It’s arguing a technicality which I stated was a subjective description on his part. Which I stand by.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you believe he inherited more than Wade did then it’s more than just disagreeing. Lol

It was pretty damn close.

Again, Garrett took over a team that was one full season removed from winning the NFCE with 11 wins.

This revisionist history some of you use with regards to the team Garrett inherited is mind-numbing.

Sydla

Reaction score
Disagreeing Romo wasn’t All Pro capable and only a Pro Bowler isn’t saying he wasn’t a very good QB. It’s arguing a technicality which I stated was a subjective description on his part. Which I stand by.

But whether All Pro or not, it's really meaningless in the context of a discussion about what Garrett inherited. He had a head start on most first time head coaches because he inherited a team with an elite pass rusher, some weapons on offense and one of the better QBs in football.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It was pretty damn close.

Again, Garrett took over a team that was one full season removed from winning the NFCE with 11 wins.

This revisionist history some of you use with regards to the team Garrett inherited is mind-numbing.
It wasn’t close . 2007 team has 13 Pro Bowlers. Most talented Cowboy team in 21st Century.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But whether All Pro or not, it's really meaningless in the context of a discussion about what Garrett inherited. He had a head start on most first time head coaches because he inherited a team with an elite pass rusher, some weapons on offense and one of the better QBs in football.
He had a top 10 offense as I originally stated . And a bottom tier defense which got worse.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Cowboys 2007 team was the biggest choke this era. That was the opportunity we missed for a championship appearance that should haunt us.

2011 was basically a 4 or 5 win team without Romo. Would say even more so in 2012. 2013 a little progress and I think if Romo was healthy might have broke thru beating Egirls for division.

2014 was the culmination and best team we’d had since 2007. In some ways I like our offense more in 2014. Unfortunately we never saw that offense again.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garrett may be good at evaluating talent but he sure as **** doesn’t know what to do with it once he has it.
That no doubt is his weakness.
Not the best field general.

Landry was often out coached himself and he was a brilliant talent evaluator and study of the game.

Landry often blamed the lack of execution on their part and the great execution by opponent for many of their heart breaking losses. In other words the talent often dictated the outcome more than the coaching who could only place them in position to win.

Ultimately, they had to make the play. Tom always believed his schemes and plays were enough if executed to perfection. It just didn’t always take into account the oppositions ability to overcome.