Is Garrett the best evaluator of talent we have ever had?

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Cowboys 2007 team was the biggest choke this era. That was the opportunity we missed for a championship appearance that should haunt us.

2011 was basically a 4 or 5 win team without Romo. Would say even more so in 2012. 2013 a little progress and I think if Romo was healthy might have broke thru beating Egirls for division.

2014 was the culmination and best team we’d had since 2007. In some ways I like our offense more in 2014. Unfortunately we never saw that offense again.

2009 Boys had 9 Pro Bowlers and 5 All Pros. Next year at 6-10. Same team. You are making stuff up to prop up JG at times...he was also PART of the undermining of the great teams you speak of...his offense. I add him into all of this...thus move him into the FO if they want to keep him so bad and get a better coach.

cern

Reaction score
Stephen so far has only proved he’s a cheapskate.
His RB and WR by committee we’re both disasters.

Daddy had to bail him out making a trade for Cooper or last season would have been a total disaster and in 2015 it probably cost Romo his last shot releasing Murray and mismanaging Dez.
Don't agree. He went after sammy Watkins hard. Offered top dollar. Why do you assume it was Jerry who sought out cooper deal and not stephen. I think Stephen makes all personnel decisions. As for rb, don't see a problem. Murray was treated fairly. Dez got what he deserved. I like Stephen.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If you believe he inherited more than Wade did then it’s more than just disagreeing. Lol

You like to try and put words in peoples mouths don't you. You like to try and shape the argument in such a way as to make statements that other posters actually never really made. I never said anything about Garrett having a better team the Wade did, although, you can make that argument. The one thing I do agree with is that it is more then just disagreement.

I've said we disagree, is there a point to your continuing down this path because as far as I am concerned, we're done here. We don't agree, end of story.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
And if the overriding point here that he's trying to make is that Garrett didn't have a really good QB to start his head coaching career with, that would be total BS.

Agree. Romo was not the best QB in the history of this team but this team has had the benefit of two HOF QBs. Romo was damn good and if he had had a good experienced coaching staff behind him, I believe he would have won multiple championships but that didn't happen. It's really unfortunate because he was a heck of a talented player IMO.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You like to try and put words in peoples mouths don't you. You like to try and shape the argument in such a way as to make statements that other posters actually never really made. I never said anything about Garrett having a better team the Wade did, although, you can make that argument. The one thing I do agree with is that it is more then just disagreement.

I've said we disagree, is there a point to your continuing down this path because as far as I am concerned, we're done here. We don't agree, end of story.
Someone had made that comment . Sorry if it wasn’t you.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agree. Romo was not the best QB in the history of this team but this team has had the benefit of two HOF QBs. Romo was damn good and if he had had a good experienced coaching staff behind him, I believe he would have won multiple championships but that didn't happen. It's really unfortunate because he was a heck of a talented player IMO.
He needed more than experienced coaching which he had in Parcells and Phillips.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Don't agree. He went after sammy Watkins hard. Offered top dollar. Why do you assume it was Jerry who sought out cooper deal and not stephen. I think Stephen makes all personnel decisions. As for rb, don't see a problem. Murray was treated fairly. Dez got what he deserved. I like Stephen.
The way Jerry stormed out of the booth after loss to Titans.

It’s naive to think Jerry still isn’t in control and ultimately making the decisions.

Stephen is an influence as always but not calling the shots.

Some fans just want to believe Jerry isn’t in as much control . It gives them more hope I guess?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He needed more than experienced coaching which he had in Parcells and Phillips.

He needed experience and he eventually got that but what he really needed was a coach who could make adjustments and a coach who could pull him back from a 50 attempt game and that was not Garrett. Talent was not the problem. Coaching was the problem IMO but again, we disagree.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
2009 Boys had 9 Pro Bowlers and 5 All Pros. Next year at 6-10. Same team. You are making stuff up to prop up JG at times...he was also PART of the undermining of the great teams you speak of...his offense. I add him into all of this...thus move him into the FO if they want to keep him so bad and get a better coach.
I’m all for moving him into front office.

9 Pro Bowlers is less than 13 in 2007. Thanks!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He needed experience and he eventually got that but what he really needed was a coach who could make adjustments and a coach who could pull him back from a 50 attempt game and that was not Garrett. Talent was not the problem. Coaching was the problem IMO but again, we disagree.

Your entitled to your own opinions but don’t construe them into facts.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Romo audibled more than any QB in the league.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Romo wasn’t a HC away from championships he was a greater defense most years.

And he didn’t always have his greatest games on the bigger stages.

He was good enough to elevate a lesser team but not enough to elevate a better team further.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I’m all for moving him into front office.

9 Pro Bowlers is less than 13 in 2007. Thanks!

It's nothing to sneeze at. My point is he was part of that regime too. We agree we obviously have had talent and failed in varying degrees. So the coaching has been subpar. They love him, so as you said , move him up, if there is a better game day guy. We can agree on that. I'm not angry at your point, I just see his fingerprints in all of the Wade years until now and he fails in one area more than others.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's nothing to sneeze at. My point is he was part of that regime too. We agree we obviously have had talent and failed in varying degrees. So the coaching has been subpar. They love him, so as you said , move him up, if there is a better game day guy. We can agree on that. I'm not angry at your point, I just see his fingerprints in all of the Wade years until now and he fails in one area more than others.
Im all in , pending his replacement.

We’ve seen some experienced and more qualified HC’s come in but haven’t fared any better dealing with our dysfunctional organization.

If some Game Days gaffs are the negative we need to overcome then this might be the best scenario for us until Jerry’s ready to hang it up. That’s the only reason I support Jason Is the intangible factors.

Last edited:

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I agree. Stephen's the man now. he relies much on the advice of will mcclay.

I believe he also relies heavily on Garrett, although there are signs that Stephens patience is wearing thin.

Jerry's accepted the role of lightning rod. He's willing to take the strikes that come against the team, and absorb that energy so others get free rein to operate. I think that has some value. Might as well let the old bull take the abuse. And also, Jerry is STILL a marketing and business savant. Jerry also provides a personal touch in relationships with players that can be of some benefit - as long as someone else is making the hiring/firing decisions on personnel.

Jumbo075

Reaction score

I honestly believe that 2007 team would have gone to the Super Bowl if Parcells had stayed one more season. I'm not sure he would have beaten Belichick's perfect Patriot team like the Giants did. I think it would have been very interesting to see a showdown between Parcells and Belichick. Too bad we missed out on that.

cern

Reaction score
The way Jerry stormed out of the booth after loss to Titans.

It’s naive to think Jerry still isn’t in control and ultimately making the decisions.

Stephen is an influence as always but not calling the shots.

Some fans just want to believe Jerry isn’t in as much control . It gives them more hope I guess?
I'm not buying it. Jerry said tony would get his job back following 2016 back injury. But dak remained the starter. Jerry said dez would be a cowboy in 2018. Stephen showed him the door. The two single most important personnel decisions both went opposite to Jerry's proclamations. Glean from that what you will.

TWOK11

Reaction score
There are posters on this board whose identity is so intimately wrapped up in the “Garrett sucks” narrative that if he ever wins a championship I genuinely fear for their safety. People with far less invested in a given venture have killed themselves when it went south.

Being right is all that matters to them and life might just not be worth living anymore.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
There are posters on this board whose identity is so intimately wrapped up in the “Garrett sucks” narrative that if he ever wins a championship I genuinely fear for their safety. People with far less invested in a given venture have killed themselves when it went south.

Being right is all that matters to them and life might just not be worth living anymore.

Garrett sucks.......