Is our HB group historically bad?

Mikexike

Reaction score
I am always fascinated when folks who only toted the rock in sandlot ball in 5th grade are so eager to assert what guys who have actually done it at a high level can and cannot do. Most of these people declaring what Zeke, Rico, Vaughan or whomever will be wouldn't know a sprint draw from a speed option from a 24 dive. They're just parroting. I will always stand on my assertion that the RB group will be just fine so long as the line isn't getting mauled. Runnin the ball is a skill you either have or you don't and only age, injury or just plain wear and tear can take it from you. The Cowboys have two one cut runners in Zeke and Rico. Both hit the hole hard and are tough to bring down. The biggest difference between them is Rico is quicker and Zeke is stronger. Both traits work if the line blocks. Neither of them is going to get TFL'd a lot because they will drag the first tackler with them for positive yards if the line does allow one guy to leak through. Vaughan is the change of pace speed back who the coaches will have to be creative in deploying. I think McCarthy can do that..

I also think Cook and Freeman will find a way onto the game day roster for a handful of games each. People need to accept that McCarthy aint no Chuck Knox disciple. This team will be 60% pass on offense unless they are just blowing somebody out. And in those games where they do blow the other team expect to see some house call runs from Rico and Deuce because the defense will have tapped out. Which will inevitably lead to the usual hue and cry about how they need to get all the carries and Zeke needs to be cut. But we all know what Ron White said about stupid...
I agree with you Ronnie! great post. Can't wait to see these guys run behind the line next weekend, I hope its Rico that gets the start!

blueblood70

Reaction score
We have two backs that are completely out of gas in Elliott and Cook. And two backs who have done next to nothing in the NFL. We are at a point where Rico Dowdle is our best hope to have an adequate every down back

Is it possible we have one of the worst HB groups of all time. I honestly cant remember a worse group anywhere
NOPE

i like all the possibly and maybe could well be and you haven't seen the damn snap... just watch the games and we can debate it after..smh!!! :oldcouple: :popcorn: :facepalm: :mad: :espn:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The group we had with Darren McFadden and Joseph Randle were pretty bad in 2015. McFadden was at the end of the line and Randle who wasn’t all that great ended up getting suspended during the season for stealing underwear. :rolleyes: Romo ended up having to carry the team which led to him getting injured. The year prior we had a great running game with DeMarco Murray who set a franchise record with over 1800 yards. The Joneses tried to convince us that a committee of average backs would work. McFadden had just over 1000 yards but a better back would’ve gotten at least 1300 behind the great OL we had. McFadden only had 3 rushing TDs compared to Murray who had 13 in 2014.
McFadden had a good year for us.
4.6ypc. Almost 1100 yards, and only started 10 games.
McFadden deserves nothing but thanks from Cowboy fans for that season.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Zeke wasn't overdrafted. He was a consensus top 5-10 pick. This was in a era where teams were still taking running backs top 10. Fournette, McCaffery, etc.

They let Murray walk because they determined he wasn't worth the contract he was asking for.

The only thing I don't remember is Romo getting hurt because of his running back......what do you mean by this?
BARKLEY as well

i think people forget Ezekiel Elliot had b2b 1800 yard seasons carrying his team and those bad quarterbacks in the college playoffs..droping 200 yard games

blueblood70

Reaction score
I am always fascinated when folks who only toted the rock in sandlot ball in 5th grade are so eager to assert what guys who have actually done it at a high level can and cannot do. Most of these people declaring what Zeke, Rico, Vaughan or whomever will be wouldn't know a sprint draw from a speed option from a 24 dive. They're just parroting. I will always stand on my assertion that the RB group will be just fine so long as the line isn't getting mauled. Runnin the ball is a skill you either have or you don't and only age, injury or just plain wear and tear can take it from you. The Cowboys have two one cut runners in Zeke and Rico. Both hit the hole hard and are tough to bring down. The biggest difference between them is Rico is quicker and Zeke is stronger. Both traits work if the line blocks. Neither of them is going to get TFL'd a lot because they will drag the first tackler with them for positive yards if the line does allow one guy to leak through. Vaughan is the change of pace speed back who the coaches will have to be creative in deploying. I think McCarthy can do that..

I also think Cook and Freeman will find a way onto the game day roster for a handful of games each. People need to accept that McCarthy aint no Chuck Knox disciple. This team will be 60% pass on offense unless they are just blowing somebody out. And in those games where they do blow the other team expect to see some house call runs from Rico and Deuce because the defense will have tapped out. Which will inevitably lead to the usual hue and cry about how they need to get all the carries and Zeke needs to be cut. But we all know what Ron White said about stupid...
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :dance:

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Historically? No, the O line is going to be good.

Should we be blaming the RBs.? Also no.

Our FO believes in the "Everything has to line up" stragetity, which means again, everything has to work properly, take out one piece and the season collapses. As fans we need to watch for two things. Does our Offensive coach know his job? This is vitally important, a lot of coaches do not know their jobs. Let me explain, they know their schemes, they apply thier schemes, everything else has to follow their schemes. I fear this is our offensive coach but i cant say for sure right yet.

Two and this also important. can our offensive line coach understand he has to win in the trenches, NOT play to what he wants his players to do but play to the strenghts of his players. A lot of coaches mkae this mistake as well, you have to know your players, not vice versa. A player can be good, but not playing to his ability because he may not be playing in his proper spot, or the coach is asking the wrong things of him.

These two coaches are more vital than MM right now. I dont expect MM to understand his coaches, he knows how a team has to operate, not how a winning team needs to win. Very different views.

blueblood70

Reaction score
right somehow the Pittsburgh steelers Harris has an under 4 yards per carry career average but hes not being talked about as washed, hes their starter LMAO back in the day MOST Big power backs like Eddie Geroge almost NEVER cracked 4 YPC and they were thought of as great LOL

if you call the correct play against the defense at hand with the good offensive line blocking ,you can have an effective run game in an era its supposed to be passing and the WCO offense uses a lot of behind the lOS and short passes to create yardage like run plays from their Backs and receivers TEs etc. they need to use Turpin and Vaugn more in that capacity.

i like how everyone's all upset and last year our run game did not look good especially the OL but TP not good very average no way i keep him for 8mil somehow mike McCarthy's offense was number one in efficiency, scoring, and tds ..wow howd that happen?

i think with the offensive line improved it's going to be better, not much but it will be effective.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He only scored 3 TDs, which was 10 fewer than DeMarco Murray the previous year and he had 750 fewer rushing yards. His 4.6 average was very misleading. He averaged under 4.0 a carry in 7 games. He had a big run in one game, which jacked his average up to over 12.0. In the first two games of the season he averaged 2.67 and 3.10. Romo had to carry us in those games which led to him getting injured. Against Carolina later in the season, McFadden was horrible. In 10 carries he averaged only 1.10 and missed a block that got Romo re-injured and lost for the rest of the season. If McFadden was good for us that season we wouldn’t have used a top 5 pick on Zeke the following year.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Last year, Dowdle had the best YPC at 4.1
Then Pollard at 4.0.
So we got worse losing our 2nd best and replacing him with two guys well under 4.0.
Ugh.
What a sorry group.
who cares what they did last year it's what they do this year that matters..
NOPE

i like all the possibly and maybe could well be and you haven't seen the damn snap... just watch the games and we can debate it after..smh!!! :oldcouple: :popcorn: :facepalm: :mad: :espn:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I dunno how good or bad they will be but part of this depends on what plays are called along with blocking scheme. If they call the same stuff with no imagination, no misdirection, same running formation they've used the last 14 years then it's going to look pretty ugly all season...

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Posters are gravitating to the Troy Hambrick comparison. Say what you will about Hambrick, but he nearly rushed for 1,000 yards the year Emmitt left. Ain't no back on this roster sniffing 1k.

This RB room is baaad...and I mean week old sushi bad, not James Brown bad.
If anything, Hambrick makes a better comparison to Pollard. He replaced Smith after a strong showing as RB2. Same goes with Pollard. Struggled as RB1. Bad ypc, but taking the bulk of the carries shot his total yardage up near 1k. Was off the team the following year. Completely different players on the field, but similar career arc. Saw it coming a mile away. Some guys just aren't meant to carry the load.

Regarding this year's roster, I don't know how to feel about the acquisition of Cook. Last year is hard to judge by looking at the numbers. That Jets passing game was really, really bad. Their offensive line was awful, and Wilson was running for his life, allowing defenses to stack the box and tee off on the running game. That said, Breece Hall still managed to average 4.5ypc, while Cook only averaged 3.2. Not a great sign. Maybe some more reps will allow him to feel the flow of the game and find a better rhythm?

If Cook can show he has some juice left, he may be a nice compliment to Elliot's power and the run game might do enough to keep the pockets clean for Dak. If not, this offense is dead in the water. The FO should've done more to address the position.

Mikexike

Reaction score
What if McClay is behind this whole RB situation?? everyone gonna crap on him??? what if he told the jones whoever we have now is as good as what the rest of the league is offering or the rookies can offer on this last ALL in year with dak.

Watch when Henry, Saquan and Jacobs go be a bust on their new teams.... Will that change anyone's mind?

blueblood70

Reaction score
I dunno how good or bad they will be but part of this depends on what plays are called along with blocking scheme. If they call the same stuff with no imagination, no misdirection, same running formation they've used the last 14 years then it's going to look pretty ugly all season...
this offense has been nowhere close to the saying the last 14 years... it's changed a lot over the last five years... you realize zeke almost put up 9000 yards in this offense from 2016-2022? . Murray 1800 as cowboys record if you want to go back that far ie 10 years ago..SMH please use real facts not made up dramatic outbursts.. we've had a lot of rushing crowns here and those 14 years..last 4 years been up and down for sure..alot to do with the OL injuries etc