Is our HB group historically bad?

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Drafting him wasn't a mistake but drafting him 4th was. At the time I loved the pick.
Possibly, but I seriously doubt that he would've still been available to the Cowboys by the time we got back to him in the 2nd round.
Sometimes if you want a guy and don't want to lose him, you gotta take 'em when you can get 'em. That's just my own personal thoughts, but I respect your opinion.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He only scored 3 TDs, which was 10 fewer than DeMarco Murray the previous year and he had 750 fewer rushing yards. His 4.6 average was very misleading. He averaged under 4.0 a carry in 7 games. He had a big run in one game, which jacked his average up to over 12.0. In the first two games of the season he averaged 2.67 and 3.10. Romo had to carry us in those games which led to him getting injured. Against Carolina later in the season, McFadden was horrible. In 10 carries he averaged only 1.10 and missed a block that got Romo re-injured and lost for the rest of the season. If McFadden was good for us that season we wouldn’t have used a top 5 pick on Zeke the following year.
McFadden wasn't as good as Murray. I wasn't saying he was.

He was under 4.0 ypc for 8 games, over 5 for 6 games, and between 4 and 5 for 2 games.
That's the way averages work - in between your low ones and your high ones.

Just wrong blaming McFadden for Romo's injury. Just not true.

The back on the side of the blitzer was Tyler Clutts, 260lb FB who went outside the tackle instead of inside, and the inside blitzer went untouched.
They even circled him on the replay view from behind the play.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
.........I also think Cook and Freeman will find a way onto the game day roster for a handful of games each. People need to accept that McCarthy aint no Chuck Knox disciple. This team will be 60% pass on offense unless they are just blowing somebody out. And in those games where they do blow the other team expect to see some house call runs from Rico and Deuce because the defense will have tapped out. Which will inevitably lead to the usual hue and cry about how they need to get all the carries and Zeke needs to be cut. But we all know what Ron White said about stupid...
I thought Freeman was cut, did I miss something?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He was under 4.0 ypc for 8 games, over 5 for 6 games, and between 4 and 5 for 2 games.
That's the way averages work - in between your low ones and your high ones.

Just wrong blaming McFadden for Romo's injury. Just not true.

The back on the side of the blitzer was Tyler Clutts, 260lb FB who went outside the tackle instead of inside, and the inside blitzer went untouched.
They even circled him on the replay view from behind the play.

i’m talking about when Romo re-injured his collarbone against Carolina. McFadden missed a block. Look at McFadden’s body language after Romo got injured.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
i’m talking about when Romo re-injured his collarbone against Carolina. McFadden missed a block. Look at McFadden’s body language after Romo got injured.

The oline can't block a 3 man rush *with* McFadden's help and it's McFadden's fault?

plasticman

Reaction score
Look at the Cowboy running back group in 1989:

Paul Palmer
Broderick Sargent
Junior Tautalatasi
Darryl Clack
Kevin Scott
Daryl Johnston
There was only a single 100-yard game by a RB in 1989 and that was Paul Palmer against Washington, the only game the Cowboys won that season. It was made possible by a 63-yard carry.

The Cowboys had the 28th ranked offense.....back when there were 28 teams.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We have two backs that are completely out of gas in Elliott and Cook. And two backs who have done next to nothing in the NFL. We are at a point where Rico Dowdle is our best hope to have an adequate every down back

Is it possible we have one of the worst HB groups of all time. I honestly cant remember a worse group anywhere
You are way underselling the RB talent on this roster.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
What if McClay is behind this whole RB situation?? everyone gonna crap on him??? what if he told the jones whoever we have now is as good as what the rest of the league is offering or the rookies can offer on this last ALL in year with dak.

Watch when Henry, Saquan and Jacobs go be a bust on their new teams.... Will that change anyone's mind?
Nope they will simply argue that either of them would have run for 2000 yards behind this "great" Dallas line.