Is QB the most important position for every team?

Blitzen

Reaction score
I feel like they are only 2 no doubt elite QB’s currently (Burrow and Mahomes) and maybe Allen (depending on the day). Then there are lots of young QBs with promise, but nothing that would show consistent excellence yet. The largest group is the pretty good QB-they differ very little among themselves and go as the rest of the squad goes-they look great on a great team and terrible on a terrible team and mediocre on a mediocre team (when you look over the entire season performance). Only a couple truly dreadful QB’s and they are typically backups or out of the league very quickly.

Signature performances are typically wins that occur in the postseason-though there can be a foreshadowing regular season win that is backed up in the playoffs (of course the QB has to perform great in those wins).

I’m starting to feel that if a team does not have an elite QB, the team should give the QB a maximum of six years (utilizing franchise tags), for the QB to take the team to at least a CCG. Otherwise, the team should move on to another QB no matter what the stats say (unless the team ranks bottom 5 in points given up every single season). Line of scrimmage dominance can make QB’s from the largest group above appear competent and oooh ahhhh. For the largest group of QBs, I feel like the offensive and defensive lines are the most important position(s) for this largest group of QBs. Then receivers/tight ends. Than the QB. Then linebackers and secondary. Then running back.

I believe that most professional QB’s that have a terrible season can usually point to a poor offensive line and/or weapons. Lots of JAGs and a few diamonds.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes but each quarterback's level of importance to the team varies from how well individual teams are built overall. Case in point: 1986/1987/1989 John Elway was exceptionally important in getting Denver to Super Bowls for all three of those seasons. 1997/1998 John Elway? Very important certainly but not as much.

Blitzen

Reaction score
It’s the most important unless that team has the ‘85 Bears defense :thumbup:

I don’t buy it. Eli Manning was a borderline journeyman QB that played with some really good defenses and good running games. Elite defenses really do help winning in January/February. Elite QB play trumps everything else.

Really good QB play with elite defense can yield a CCG and sometimes a SB. There are the extremely rare SB wins with Stafford and Flacco and the just okay QB with all time great defense (2000 Ravens and 2002 Bucs).

I don’t mean just SB runs-overall regular season play. QB is less of a factor for many of these clubs as far as regular season success. The modern rules favoring offense allow a bunch of guys to look much better than they actually are. By the same token, plenty of awful squads make their QB look more terrible than they actually are.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes because what QB you have determines how you build the roster. If you overpay the QB position then you will struggle bringing in enough talent everywhere else.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I don’t buy it. Eli Manning was a borderline journeyman QB that played with some really good defenses and good running games.
The Eli disrespect really is pretty crazy. Dude plays like a winner and got the job done twice. Sometimes you just have to admit the other guy is pretty good.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Every team is QB dependent these days, which is why the position is so coveted and QB salaries continue to skyrocket. For a second straight year QBs will dominate the first few picks of the NFL draft. Most games come down to QBs having to make a play, especially in championship games. We saw it in this past SB. The league MVP and SB MVP are usually QBs. They determine the outcome of games more than any position. You’re not going to get far without solid, consistent play from your QB. However, all QBs need a good supporting cast. They can’t win games by themselves.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I would consider the QB as the most important individual player. He'll need a good oline and a very good to great dline but the QB is the straw that stirs the drink and he needs to be a difference maker.

I would say that if you don't have that difference maker type you keep switching up every three or four years until you do. Giving massive contracts to bus drivers is a mistake no matter how pretty their stats are.

jgboys1

Reaction score
You need a real good supporting cast too.
Mark Sanchez made it to 2 AFC Championship games and at that time they had a great running game and defense,
but if you are going to pay your QB franchise money, make sure he can at least drive the bus when needed and can make plays when the team needs you or is struggling.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
My thought is that this only applies for the elite QB’s. The pretty good QB just goes as the rest of the squad goes.
My thoughts exactly. For truly elite QBs, and in todays game I think there is one that I think truly falls into that category. Burrow has a chance to get there too.

The difference between a good QB to an average QB to even a below average QB just isn't as much in todays game and I think so much of that has to do with the rules favoring offenses. If you don't have a top 2 or 3 QB in the league you're main goal should be to simply avoid having a bottom 5 QB in the league. Everyone else is typically dependent upon the team and system around them. Goff was in the super bowl with a loaded Rams team, goes to Detroit and is terrible...until they build that team back up and now they are legit super bowl contenders. Baker Mayfield gets Mike Evans to throw to and gets to the Playoffs in Tampa after not being able to keep a job in Carolina.

Blitzen

Reaction score
The Eli disrespect really is pretty crazy. Dude plays like a winner and got the job done twice. Sometimes you just have to admit the other guy is pretty good.

He was pretty good. I give him a hard time because of his success against the Cowboys and his draft day chicken **** stance with the Chargers.