Is QB the most important position for every team?

Blitzen

Reaction score
Not an Eli apologist but how was he a borderline journeyman when he played for one team his entire career? He also regardless of his defense came up huge in big spots time and again. Rest of your points I mostly agree with

He was just awful for large stretches in his career (way too many interceptions). When the team did not have an extremely high end defense and Tom was no longer around to babysit the squad-they tried to put it in Eli’s hands to disastrous results. He used to have the signature bail and throw it away-but that only works with an elite defense.

I’m not saying he could not throw a ball straight. I’m just of the opinion he belongs in the hall of good to very good QB’s. He does not belong in the hall of fame like Peyton-even though he most likely will make it.

kskboys

Reaction score
I feel like they are only 2 no doubt elite QB’s currently (Burrow and Mahomes) and maybe Allen (depending on the day). Then there are lots of young QBs with promise, but nothing that would show consistent excellence yet. The largest group is the pretty good QB-they differ very little among themselves and go as the rest of the squad goes-they look great on a great team and terrible on a terrible team and mediocre on a mediocre team (when you look over the entire season performance). Only a couple truly dreadful QB’s and they are typically backups or out of the league very quickly.

Signature performances are typically wins that occur in the postseason-though there can be a foreshadowing regular season win that is backed up in the playoffs (of course the QB has to perform great in those wins).

I’m starting to feel that if a team does not have an elite QB, the team should give the QB a maximum of six years (utilizing franchise tags), for the QB to take the team to at least a CCG. Otherwise, the team should move on to another QB no matter what the stats say (unless the team ranks bottom 5 in points given up every single season). Line of scrimmage dominance can make QB’s from the largest group above appear competent and oooh ahhhh. For the largest group of QBs, I feel like the offensive and defensive lines are the most important position(s) for this largest group of QBs. Then receivers/tight ends. Than the QB. Then linebackers and secondary. Then running back.

I believe that most professional QB’s that have a terrible season can usually point to a poor offensive line and/or weapons. Lots of JAGs and a few diamonds.
Absolutely. QB's were always important, but w/ the new passing league including ultra protection, they are more important than ever. Doubt if you'll ever see another team like the 00 Ravens.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not an Eli apologist but how was he a borderline journeyman when he played for one team his entire career? He also regardless of his defense came up huge in big spots time and again. Rest of your points I mostly agree with
He really didn't.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
He really didn't.

No you’re right 37 game winning drives which ranks like top 12 all time is nothing, being named the Most Valuable Player of Super Bowl XLII after he led the Giants on their game-winning drive by completing five of nine passes for 77 yards, including the go-ahead 13-yard touchdown pass to Plaxico Burress with 35 seconds remaining is nothing.

Throwing for 250 yards in -23 degree wind chill, again nothing. 4 fourth quarter comebacks and 5 game winning playoff drives. All meant nothing

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-clutch-quarterbacks-in-playoff-history-0ap3000000781681

Last edited:

Hadenough

Reaction score
I feel like they are only 2 no doubt elite QB’s currently (Burrow and Mahomes) and maybe Allen (depending on the day). Then there are lots of young QBs with promise, but nothing that would show consistent excellence yet. The largest group is the pretty good QB-they differ very little among themselves and go as the rest of the squad goes-they look great on a great team and terrible on a terrible team and mediocre on a mediocre team (when you look over the entire season performance). Only a couple truly dreadful QB’s and they are typically backups or out of the league very quickly.

Signature performances are typically wins that occur in the postseason-though there can be a foreshadowing regular season win that is backed up in the playoffs (of course the QB has to perform great in those wins).

I’m starting to feel that if a team does not have an elite QB, the team should give the QB a maximum of six years (utilizing franchise tags), for the QB to take the team to at least a CCG. Otherwise, the team should move on to another QB no matter what the stats say (unless the team ranks bottom 5 in points given up every single season). Line of scrimmage dominance can make QB’s from the largest group above appear competent and oooh ahhhh. For the largest group of QBs, I feel like the offensive and defensive lines are the most important position(s) for this largest group of QBs. Then receivers/tight ends. Than the QB. Then linebackers and secondary. Then running back.

I believe that most professional QB’s that have a terrible season can usually point to a poor offensive line and/or weapons. Lots of JAGs and a few diamonds.
I think it's important to have a QB with pedigree. It takes one of the better QBs to compete at a high level. If you don't have a really good QB you have no chance. Take Dak for instance, he lacks pedigree and it shows up on the big stage. Jordon Love goes into SF and dam near bears them in a high scoring game. Goff goes into SF and dam near bears them in a high scoring game. Both 1st round picks. The 49ers are an exception because the had a few bad years in a row where they were picking top 5 in the draft and assembled a defense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You mean Brian Callahan vs Andy Reid? I agree-one is maybe the greatest west coast offensive minds in the game ever and one is just a guy that is now having to hack it in Tennessee.
oh is Brian Callahan the OC? I just know when Burrow went down he manage to get some decent games out of the backup QB.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Absolutely. QB's were always important, but w/ the new passing league including ultra protection, they are more important than ever. Doubt if you'll ever see another team like the 00 Ravens.

Yeah, I see it the other way around unless we are talking about a legit elite QB. Otherwise, the QB goes as the rest of the team goes in my opinion. Unless they are a disaster-but I actually feel like most QB’s that are drafted high and fail to succeed is more about the team they are surrounded with than how good they are (there are exceptions).

Flamma

Reaction score

Team in the NFL are run more like a business model than anything else. In a computer sim league against other people where money isn't involved, no one would pay Daniel Jones 140M computer dollars.

NFL teams today will pay any capable QB. They'll pay a lot for that. A better team means more fans, and more revenue. None of that would apply if your only goal was winning a championship.

Even the rules they make are money driven. Kickoff and QB rules come to mind. What's better for the pocket trumps what is better for the game. No one cares if a computer player gets hurt. You don't lose real money. It's a shame, but it's the way it is.

Blitzen

Reaction score
oh is Brian Callahan the OC? I just know when Burrow went down he manage to get some decent games out of the backup QB.

Callahan was. Yeah-Browning was a decent backup QB. Lots of the backups have decent success with good supporting casts. Another reason why I do not see much difference between lots of the QB’s out there.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Yes.
31 other NFL General Managers are being paid to find "that elite one."

The positional pay scale of all 32 teams is set up such that the QB position is the highest paid based off his individual performance impact on team success as he touches every offensive snap of the ball.

The group here attempting to minimize the impact of an elite QB by downplaying him to be just another part of the TEAM are absolutely wrong.

There have been enough posts here showing the results of Super Bowl winning teams and teams that have made it to the Supet Bowl with elite QBs as to prove how they are the standard for success.

The outliers are the Brad Johnsons, Trent Dilfers and Nick Foles type who needed an all star supporting cast to win their ring but their performance alone was anything but elite.

The whole build around Dak narrative is tired and played out.
The Cowboys havent drafted a highly pedigreed QB since Quincy Carter in the 2nd round some thing like 25 years or so ago.

Doing the whole UDFA and 4th round project/developmental duo at the QB position for the last 20 years has proven fruitless.

It's time to acquire an alfa dawg at the QB position who on his own performance can cover for many team warts.
That and a competent non yes man HC and that combo could overcome even Jerry.

Would he hire and draft that type duo?
That's a different discussion altogether.

jmo
Nick Foles was elite on that SB Sunday.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Let’s not forget the other part of the equation: the head coach. Mahomes has the perfect head coach in Andy Reid, who may be the greatest offensive mind in NFL history and a coach that molded and developed Mahomes. Is Mahomes in the GOAT conversation if Garrett was his coach, or if he was drafted by Cleveland or the NYJ?

ICP

Reaction score
It's either an elite QB or an elite defense