Is QB the most important position for every team?

Blitzen

Reaction score
Every team is QB dependent these days, which is why the position is so coveted and QB salaries continue to skyrocket. For a second straight year QBs will dominate the first few picks of the NFL draft. Most games come down to QBs having to make a play, especially in championship games. We saw it in this past SB. The league MVP and SB MVP are usually QBs. They determine the outcome of games more than any position. You’re not going to get far without solid, consistent play from your QB. However, all QBs need a good supporting cast. They can’t win games by themselves.

I think teams depend on their QB to varying degrees depending on surrounding talent and scheme. Trent Williams and Deebo go down, and suddenly SF cannot beat the Browns or Vikings. Their offensive line and playmakers determine the game more than Purdy.

The league markets the QB position unlike any other. The MVP race is a QB because of this. Christian McCaffrey and Tyreek Hill were more important to their teams than any QB was to their squad this past season. QB’s get picked early because the front office and coaching staff of most teams are on a 3 year max time clock to produce major improvements. They don’t have time to build all the lines of scrimmage and then find a QB. They use their lotto ticket praying for another elite QB.

Blitzen

Reaction score
There's Mahomes and then there's everybody else...

And QB by far is the most important position...

If the QB is elite, then I agree. Burrow and Allen have shown they are in Mahomes’ league. Then there is a major step down.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I think you’re asking some vague questions. The QB is by far the most important individual player on the team. But the Oline room is more important than the QB room. That’s why you can only get 2-3 allpro Olineman for the price of the top QBs. A great QB with a bad Oline will never win. Joe Burrow tried, Pat Mahomes tried, Brady tried. But a great Oline with varying levels of QB can… though it’s not very likely.

In reality, you need both

Chasing6

Reaction score
I feel like they are only 2 no doubt elite QB’s currently (Burrow and Mahomes) and maybe Allen (depending on the day). Then there are lots of young QBs with promise, but nothing that would show consistent excellence yet. The largest group is the pretty good QB-they differ very little among themselves and go as the rest of the squad goes-they look great on a great team and terrible on a terrible team and mediocre on a mediocre team (when you look over the entire season performance). Only a couple truly dreadful QB’s and they are typically backups or out of the league very quickly.

Signature performances are typically wins that occur in the postseason-though there can be a foreshadowing regular season win that is backed up in the playoffs (of course the QB has to perform great in those wins).

I’m starting to feel that if a team does not have an elite QB, the team should give the QB a maximum of six years (utilizing franchise tags), for the QB to take the team to at least a CCG. Otherwise, the team should move on to another QB no matter what the stats say (unless the team ranks bottom 5 in points given up every single season). Line of scrimmage dominance can make QB’s from the largest group above appear competent and oooh ahhhh. For the largest group of QBs, I feel like the offensive and defensive lines are the most important position(s) for this largest group of QBs. Then receivers/tight ends. Than the QB. Then linebackers and secondary. Then running back.

I believe that most professional QB’s that have a terrible season can usually point to a poor offensive line and/or weapons. Lots of JAGs and a few diamonds.
GM

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes but each quarterback's level of importance to the team varies from how well individual teams are built overall. Case in point: 1986/1987/1989 John Elway was exceptionally important in getting Denver to Super Bowls for all three of those seasons. 1997/1998 John Elway? Very important certainly but not as much.
There is always a one off. Payton Manning in his last year with the Broncos in Supe 50.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Yup ....... anyone who thinks different should be ignored.

I do believe that as long as we’re talking about an elite QB. I disagree when we are talking about pretty good QB’s -who just go as the rest of the squad goes in my opinion.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I do believe that as long as we’re talking about an elite QB. I disagree when we are talking about pretty good QB’s -who just go as the rest of the squad goes in my opinion.
A average or bad QB makes an average or bad team ........ no other position does that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think teams depend on their QB to varying degrees depending on surrounding talent and scheme. Trent Williams and Deebo go down, and suddenly SF cannot beat the Browns or Vikings. Their offensive line and playmakers determine the game more than Purdy.

The league markets the QB position unlike any other. The MVP race is a QB because of this. Christian McCaffrey and Tyreek Hill were more important to their teams than any QB was to their squad this past season. QB’s get picked early because the front office and coaching staff of most teams are on a 3 year max time clock to produce major improvements. They don’t have time to build all the lines of scrimmage and then find a QB. They use their lotto ticket praying for another elite QB.
The way the game is today every teams season will come down to the play of their QB and having to stop the opposing QB. The Chiefs dominance has been because of Mahomes. McCaffrety and Hill wouldn’t have been competing for a championship this past season if their teams weren’t getting solid QB play. McCaffrety was suffering through losing seasons in Carolina after Cam Newton began to decline and missed games due to injury. He’s flourished in SF because he’s on a much better team that’s getting solid QB play.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The QB is the only player that handles the ball on every offensive play. Unless a direct snap as in a wild cat play.

He makes all the decisions of what needs to be done. Audible, pass or run, who and where the ball goes to. Throw it away, take the sack, run and scramble look for the open receiver or throw into coverage, depending on how much time he has.

However, if no run game for the defense to respect, and if the OL sucks and the QB has no time, it speeds up a critical thought process. That split second makes a huge difference.

Still fans will argue and discuss, is it the QB or other things involved. We seen it all to often on here.

Still give me an elite QB over a good QB surrounded by very good players.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Lol! QB can't get the ball without the center.
I was really hoping you weren’t joking. I was going to bookmark the post and discussion because no one would have ever believed it. lol

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don’t buy it. Eli Manning was a borderline journeyman QB that played with some really good defenses and good running games. Elite defenses really do help winning in January/February. Elite QB play trumps everything else.

Really good QB play with elite defense can yield a CCG and sometimes a SB. There are the extremely rare SB wins with Stafford and Flacco and the just okay QB with all time great defense (2000 Ravens and 2002 Bucs).

I don’t mean just SB runs-overall regular season play. QB is less of a factor for many of these clubs as far as regular season success. The modern rules favoring offense allow a bunch of guys to look much better than they actually are. By the same token, plenty of awful squads make their QB look more terrible than they actually are.
Don’t buy what? I’m just saying that the QB is less important if that team has an elite defense. Of course, OLines, coaching, etc come into play as well.