Is Rock 'n Roll dead?

nobody

Reaction score
I'm old and have always been a huge rock 'n roll fan. I know there's a bunch of dudes like myself on here so is there any hope? Maybe nostalgic kids'? Give me some recent songs! The best I can come up with is Shinedown and Avenged Sevenfold in the last 10 years.

The Hu Band. Mongolian Metal. Rock's alive and well, even if it's not as prevalent as it was.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm old and have always been a huge rock 'n roll fan. I know there's a bunch of dudes like myself on here so is there any hope? Maybe nostalgic kids'? Give me some recent songs! The best I can come up with is Shinedown and Avenged Sevenfold in the last 10 years.

I consider myself a time traveler when it comes to music. I don’t care for much of what’s coming out today. It’s more business than art.

The older I get, the further back in time my tastes go. Right now, I mainly listen to 40’s big band and swing and 50’s on 5 on SiriusXM radio. That music and the messages behind it gets me moving and puts a smile on my face.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Earlier this summer I had my dog, Solo, out for a walk in town. She is a beautiful dog and always draws attention when we're out. A young man approached us asking questions about the dog. He was curious about the origin of the name so I gave him the story. I also went on to tell him that I had another puppy on the way which would make the rational for Solo's name irrelevant so I was thinking about names that would tie together with Solo and keep her name relevant.

I figured this young man to be 16 to 18 years old. I told him I was thinking about Bonzo as a name for the puppy, He didn't make the connection so I asked him if he knew who John Bonham was. He said no. I asked him if he was a Zeppelin fan. He said, "Who?"

Holy crap! I have never felt so old as I did in that moment. lol.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rock & Roll morphed into Country some time back and what didn't headed to Pop.

Rock exists in different forms and there are still artists/bands playing all forms of it but it is not mainstream like it once was with Classic Rock, the umbrella for Rock like Fleetwood Mac, Journey, REO and Hard Rock like Van Halen, Alice Cooper and Deep Purple, Art/Prog Rock like Yes, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Moody Blues, Alan Parsons and Metal with Black Sabbath, Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold.

Like every other form of music, when there is a split as there was when the Beatles broke up, some stayed with their Oldies and some moved onto Country.

Grunge had a huge effect on my generation and forced some to seek other music as was the same with Alternative and Electronic.

Where I was once genre driven and group driven, I became sound driven. If I like it, I like it and don't care what it's called. My tastes are so varied and wide now, I can't define what I am a fan of except maybe all the forms of Electronica: Chill, Techno, House, Trance and Ibiza.

I do not know when in happened, maybe during the changes in my life, but music in any form was no longer about how it sounded but how it felt. I used music as entertainment and now I use it as therapy and I look for melodies to lift me.

I differ so much from people in my own age group, I do not have any friends with close to the same musical tastes whereas, at one time that is what unified us. Most stayed with Oldies, Classic Rock or moved to Country. They were not interested in giving change a chance and they've missed out on some great tunes.

I will say this, Rock will never re-capture what it created in the 70's. Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour open the gates to the greatest decade in Rock history. So many talented composers and musicians eyes and ears were opened to the possibilities and they seized the opportunity.

Creeper

Reaction score
R&R isn't dead. Music in general is dying. But I am guessing my parents felt the same way when they heard the bands I used to listen to.

But seriously, think about the great classical composers, then the big bands, then Rock & Rock and now, I am not even sure some of it can be called music. The sound has gotten less complicated over time and now a turn table and a microphone is a career. I am only half joking. There are some really great musicians today, but I think they have run out of music writing ideas.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
R&R isn't dead. Music in general is dying. But I am guessing my parents felt the same way when they heard the bands I used to listen to.

But seriously, think about the great classical composers, then the big bands, then Rock & Rock and now, I am not even sure some of it can be called music. The sound has gotten less complicated over time and now a turn table and a microphone is a career. I am only half joking. There are some really great musicians today, but I think they have run out of music writing ideas.
Anyone who comes up with something new, original, and creative is probably stifled by autotune. When the radio was people's main source of music, the art of the music itself was what drove the musicians. MTV made the visual aspect much too important, then the internet made it all about popularity and mimicry. Of course, this is just my opinion...but my opinions are always right! :cool:

Creeper

Reaction score
Anyone who comes up with something new, original, and creative is probably stifled by autotune. When the radio was people's main source of music, the art of the music itself was what drove the musicians. MTV made the visual aspect much too important, then the internet made it all about popularity and mimicry. Of course, this is just my opinion...but my opinions are always right! :cool:

Bingo! It's like so many movies are all CGI and special effects but stupid writing!