Is Rock 'n Roll dead?

Hardline

Reaction score
Nope, just went to Japan.

52c243a4b730ca8e1b88460aa37e77a7.jpg

lukin2006

Reaction score
Listening to AC/DC’s Power Up. As long as we have bands like this pumping out great music, then no…

But I think Rock could be in bigger trouble when these bands are gone…

But then who knows. Maybe Keith Richards will live forever and he’ll keep rock alive…

But I love rock n roll…can’t wait till I can see some live music again…

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I don't think it's dead but it surely has evolved over the years.

50s: Rock-N-Roll, Rockabill,
60s: Roots Rock, Psychedelic rock
70s: Hard Rock, Art Rock
80s: Glam Metal, Thrash Metal
90s: Grunge, Alternative Rock
00s : Nu-Metal, Emo
10s: Pop Rock, Metalcore
20s: ????

I have no idea who is popular these days, considered good, or otherwise is even on the radio. At this point though it feels like all the sounds have been done and I can only assume that history will begin repeating itself in sounds. I was chatting with a co-worker the other day about how music is still relatively young, and how weird it would be looking back in time from the future, as our media ages.

"Hey, check out this Boston album. It's 250 years old!" LOL! Just seems so odd. Well, assuming humans don't destroy the planet before then.

RS12

Reaction score
JMO music has gone straight down hill since about 1980. That is around when computers started making a lot of music instead of musicians. Also it became more marketing driven than talent driven. A couple generations have grown up not knowing what they don't know.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JMO music has gone straight down hill since about 1980. That is around when computers started making a lot of music instead of musicians. Also it became more marketing driven than talent driven. A couple generations have grown up not knowing what they don't know.

You have had people make similar arguments for generations.

Before the Boy Bands and girl bands in the 90s you had the similar formula to many motown groups. They were the boy bands and girl bands before the later girl and boy bands. They all followed a similar style.

In the 80s' and 90's you had many hair metal or rock bands having the labels make them do a Power Ballad because at the very least that would put the band in the main stream and sell.

Back in the 50's the record companies did all they could do to get the records played on the radio...to the point of Payola being a thing.

Back in the day Disco was the electronic music years before today's electronic music. Disco was such a huge movement (even if just for a short time) that even KISS made a Disco song...I was made for loving you. Kiss was also one of the earlier bands that had a ballad in beth.

MTV also changed things. Heck they were so image driven that you had Milli Vanilli become huge stars. If it was only the music that was important they would not have got to good looking young guys to lip sync to other peoples music.

Every Generation when they get older thinks that most of the music sucks. That the current generation's music is not as important. That it is not original.

Heck even when Rap was coming out for the first many years you had all kind of people saying that the artists did not play their own instruments. Run DMC said all you needed was two turn tables and a microphone.

Even country music has changed a good deal. It went from country, to rockabilly to pop now.

Music is always changing and the older each generation gets they pine for what they liked growing up and complain about the new music not being as talented.

Heck fans of older rap even complain about newer artists being mumble rappers with little to know skill for lyrical content.

pete026

Reaction score
In my opinion, there is so much of crap out there that I can't spend the time it takes to weed it all out. I get some insights from friends who make recommendations or places like this but bottom line; the music industry followed the words of Neil Peart:
"One likes to believe in the freedom of music
But glittering prizes and endless compromises
Shatter the illusion of integrity, yeah".