Is Rock 'n Roll dead?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You have had people make similar arguments for generations.

Before the Boy Bands and girl bands in the 90s you had the similar formula to many motown groups. They were the boy bands and girl bands before the later girl and boy bands. They all followed a similar style.

In the 80s' and 90's you had many hair metal or rock bands having the labels make them do a Power Ballad because at the very least that would put the band in the main stream and sell.

Back in the 50's the record companies did all they could do to get the records played on the radio...to the point of Payola being a thing.

Back in the day Disco was the electronic music years before today's electronic music. Disco was such a huge movement (even if just for a short time) that even KISS made a Disco song...I was made for loving you. Kiss was also one of the earlier bands that had a ballad in beth.

MTV also changed things. Heck they were so image driven that you had Milli Vanilli become huge stars. If it was only the music that was important they would not have got to good looking young guys to lip sync to other peoples music.

Every Generation when they get older thinks that most of the music sucks. That the current generation's music is not as important. That it is not original.

Heck even when Rap was coming out for the first many years you had all kind of people saying that the artists did not play their own instruments. Run DMC said all you needed was two turn tables and a microphone.

Even country music has changed a good deal. It went from country, to rockabilly to pop now.

Music is always changing and the older each generation gets they pine for what they liked growing up and complain about the new music not being as talented.

Heck fans of older rap even complain about newer artists being mumble rappers with little to know skill for lyrical content.
And they're all right! :muttley:

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
In my opinion, there is so much of crap out there that I can't spend the time it takes to weed it all out. I get some insights from friends who make recommendations or places like this but bottom line; the music industry followed the words of Neil Peart:
"One likes to believe in the freedom of music
But glittering prizes and endless compromises
Shatter the illusion of integrity, yeah".

One of my favorite songs ever. I was discussing Rush with a friend recently and he called them "one of the best forms of birth control when we were young." Ouch...but yeah, I don't remember a lot of girls want to jam out to 2112 with me.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
It's a trick to get people to see the Rick Astly song "Never gonna give you up" as a joke...as if it's torture. Usually it's a bait and switch. Like "Click this for <insert whatever here>" and it actually takes them to his song.
Damn, I kind of got that from the google search but didn't think it would really be that cruel. I should stop doubting the human capabilities.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
It's a trick to get people to see the Rick Astly song "Never gonna give you up" as a joke...as if it's torture. Usually it's a bait and switch. Like "Click this for <insert whatever here>" and it actually takes them to his song.
Like that one episode of Ted Lasso was basically a huge Rick Roll, possibly the biggest Rick Roll ever done........lol

shabazz

Reaction score
Absolutely on life support. The youngsters decide the shelf life of music.

Pearl Jam and Metallica are slotted for the oldies station very soon with nobody to supplant them

And most important the young ladies, across the board, want rappers....not rockers