Isaiah Simmons traded to Giants

Carson

Reaction score
Cruised the Cardinals forum just to see what they thought. A little bit of mixed reactions, but it mostly leans toward the fanbase calling it a wasted draft pick. That the current FO is trying to clean up the damage former GM Steve Keim did. A lot of posters kept commenting on how they're glad they moved on from Simmons after the Chiefs game (not sure what happened there).

And finally the comment that gave me a good laugh, "The Cards finally got something out of Simmons." lol

Let's hope he is equally disappointing as a player for the Giants. :grin:
He was the worst graded player and showed no effort.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Some people mistake their opinions for facts.
Be a man and quote me. I know it's difficult.
You don't think Quinn would help him? Guy won the Butkus and you're saying he never was an LB?
No I dont. College lb to nfl don't translate automatically. It's why most young linebackers struggle as rookies. He always played as a safety. He didn't play like an NFL linebacker

kskboys

Reaction score
Be a man and quote me. I know it's difficult.

No I dont. College lb to nfl don't translate automatically. It's why most young linebackers struggle as rookies. He always played as a safety. He didn't play like an NFL linebacker
Played S his first two years of college, then sort of played LB the next 2. He played all over the field and really didn't even have a position.

At his speed and w/ his coverage ability, not sure why they didn't try him at SS.

I'm guessing that he lacks instincts, the big killer.

Carson

Reaction score
Played S his first two years of college, then sort of played LB the next 2. He played all over the field and really didn't even have a position.

At his speed and w/ his coverage ability, not sure why they didn't try him at SS.

I'm guessing that he lacks instincts, the big killer.
Because he is god awful in coverage. Ask any Cardinals fans he is awful at coverage.

His best hope is that Wink Martindale tells him to rush the QB and he becomes a better play.

kskboys

Reaction score
Because he is god awful in coverage. Ask any Cardinals fans he is awful at coverage.

His best hope is that Wink Martindale tells him to rush the QB and he becomes a better play.
Oh, is he? Not surprised. It was listed as a strength in his predraft scouting report, but they used PD's(Passes Defensed) and that can be inaccurate.

He appears to be a typical traits guy, very fast, fluid, agile, and explosive. However, at the end of the day he's a track guy trying to play football. In college, he could get by w/ superior traits, but in the NFL, everyone is fast, and so now he has to learn to play football. Apparently he's failing.

Carson

Reaction score
Oh, is he? Not surprised. It was listed as a strength in his predraft scouting report, but they used PD's(Passes Defensed) and that can be inaccurate.

He appears to be a typical traits guy, very fast, fluid, agile, and explosive. However, at the end of the day he's a track guy trying to play football. In college, he could get by w/ superior traits, but in the NFL, everyone is fast, and so now he has to learn to play football. Apparently he's failing.
Isaiah Simmons' poor performance was reflected in his PFF grades. He had the lowest grade of any Cardinals player, with an overall grade of 26.2 on 27 snaps. His run defense (61.3) and tackling (52.1) grades were low, but it was his coverage grade of 28.7 that did him in.

IMO, he checked out. Now he is on a contending team, he likely turns it around.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Part of the low compensation was that Arizona was likely going to release him as well as the fact that Simmons was in the 4th year of his contract (base salary of $1.01M) with Arizona having declined his 5th-year option due to cost of $12.7M (uncertain if Giants can pick that up or not)

"According to Pro Football Focus, he's played 432 snaps on the defensive line, 1,077 in the box, 63 at free safety, 641 in the slot, 65 at corner and 432 as a wide rusher. The 6-foot-4, 238-pounder has appeared in 50 games with 37 starts, and his regular season totals include 258 career tackles, 13 tackles for loss, 11 quarterback hits, four interceptions (one returned for a touchdown), 16 pass breakups, seven forced fumbles, and 7.5 sacks."

Simmons is actually coming off his best season so far in spite of missing 4 games so for the Giants, it is a low cost high reward trade for them and with Martindale running a 3-4 that also plays a lot of nickel/dime type defense Simmons has the athleticism to be a quality addition for the Giants.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Because he sucks as a linebacker. But again, complaining about moves we don't make is a CZ specialty.

Literally got switched from lb to slot cb to safety lol
ok, then he was a player not good enough for any position. we drafted him in top 10 and had to try and find a place for him and couldn't.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Part of the low compensation was that Arizona was likely going to release him as well as the fact that Simmons was in the 4th year of his contract (base salary of $1.01M) with Arizona having declined his 5th-year option due to cost of $12.7M (uncertain if Giants can pick that up or not)

"According to Pro Football Focus, he's played 432 snaps on the defensive line, 1,077 in the box, 63 at free safety, 641 in the slot, 65 at corner and 432 as a wide rusher. The 6-foot-4, 238-pounder has appeared in 50 games with 37 starts, and his regular season totals include 258 career tackles, 13 tackles for loss, 11 quarterback hits, four interceptions (one returned for a touchdown), 16 pass breakups, seven forced fumbles, and 7.5 sacks."

Simmons is actually coming off his best season so far in spite of missing 4 games so for the Giants, it is a low cost high reward trade for them and with Martindale running a 3-4 that also plays a lot of nickel/dime type defense Simmons has the athleticism to be a quality addition for the Giants.
not sure why wouldn't give a 7th and kick the tires. if nothing else, depth. and if he ended up leaving and signing some contract somewhere as a FA, then minimally get a 7th or better.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Isaiah Simmons' poor performance was reflected in his PFF grades. He had the lowest grade of any Cardinals player, with an overall grade of 26.2 on 27 snaps. His run defense (61.3) and tackling (52.1) grades were low, but it was his coverage grade of 28.7 that did him in.

IMO, he checked out. Now he is on a contending team, he likely turns it around.
Giants contending for third place

Kwyn

Reaction score

Probably would have kicked the tires on this one and let DQ have a go at using him.

Hell yea. I had no idea they were letting him go that cheap.

I was ridiculously high on this guy at the draft

stilltheguru

Reaction score
not sure why wouldn't give a 7th and kick the tires. if nothing else, depth. and if he ended up leaving and signing some contract somewhere as a FA, then minimally get a 7th or better.
Yall can't fathom that we think our players might be better than Simmons only because of his draft status. That's all this is. Atleast do the complaining for a good player.

Kumbaya

Reaction score

This+1

i trust Wink knows how to maximize his skill set, so I’m not crying losing a 7th round pick for the chance that maybe this kid will find himself in the Big Apple. Stay tuned……

Kumbaya

Reaction score
Giants contending for third place
Probably right…..seeing that we haven’t beaten the Eagles or Cowboys much in the past 10 years, but….. in Daboll I trust. Plus, I think Wink is another smart dude with a good mind to maximize the talent his players have, so I’m sure hoping Wink already has a plan on how to use Simmons, be it LB, S, or some hybrid.

I’m thinking, because this guy is fast, to start with while he is learning the system, he may just be asked to rush the passer.

Can’t wait for September 10th to be here…..I sure hope MetLife is totally alive and loud that night. And I sure hope my Evan Neal can keep your Lawrence off of my QBs back this time.

kevm3

Reaction score
Well we like our guys so don't expect any moves unless it's bringing in players that won't make the roster