It has to be asked because it's definitely possible

sean10mm

Reaction score
I think Romo is going to get sprinkled in regardless of how well Dak is playing.

Serious question: when has a team done this and had it actually work out in their favor? Nothing springs to mind outside the odd wildcat gimmick play.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Serious question: when has a team done this and had it actually work out in their favor? Nothing springs to mind outside the odd wildcat gimmick play.

Never and we've never had a backup QB that is elite either.

Dallas will lay it all on the line. I don't know how or when they will get Romo involved but I think they will get him in the game in a way where he makes some kind of difference and completely throws the defense off.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Baltimore Colts: Earl Moral and Johnny Unites.

Dallas Cowboys: Craig Morton and Roger Staubach.

Thetriplets22

Reaction score
If we play the Giants you will see Romo in the second half and he will save our season

Reactions: Coy

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Hope you're right, we don't need that distraction next year.

As far as I'm concerned. Romo had his chances.
I did think this year would be another chance with his Terrell Davis in Zeke...

But it wasn't to be.

"Thanks for the memories, thanks for the memories"

mrmojo

Reaction score
Baltimore Colts: Earl Moral and Johnny Unites.

Dallas Cowboys: Craig Morton and Roger Staubach.
It kind of worked in Dallas stat wise, but Landry finally had to go with Staubach because it was causing a division in the team and it wasnt fair to either QB.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
To play Tony, you'd have to be pretty dang sure Dak was not going to figure out what the defense is doing in time, and that Tony actually knows what to do in his place. And then you only do it late in the game when you're down to the last position or two. And then you only do it if you're pretty sure Tony can win it. Then the next week, you go back to Dak, no matter what.

It's really unlikely we're in that situation. Dak's so good at slowing a game down and taking advantage of the opportunities that are there. I don't think we're two scores back on anybody in the 4th quarter, and if we are, it's probably because the wheels fell off at more than just the QB position.

I could actually see Dak getting pulled for Tony and then coming back the next week as the starter. The game I think we could see that happen in is the Giants game. If we meet the Giants and we are unable to score on them, I could see Tony coming in and playing. Tony can beat the hell out of the Giants Defense and I think he knows it. I also think the Coaching Staff knows it. What's holding Dak back from beating the Giants these past two games is his lack of experience. We have lost two games to the Giants by a total of 4 points and scored only 26 points combined. The chances to beat the Giants have been there in each game but we have failed to take advantage of them. The Giants are a good Defense but they are far from an elite or overpowering Defense IMO. They know us well enough and have figured out what Dak can do and can't do or maybe does not like to do is the better way to say it. They take advantage of it. If Dak does not show that he can take advantage of that, then I could see us pulling him and letting Tony play. Tony would cut them up IMO. Now, is this a knock on Dak? I don't think so. In three seasons, Dak is going to be able to do the same thing but we have a chance this year. In that situation, I could see it.

JMO

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I could actually see Dak getting pulled for Tony and then coming back the next week as the starter. The game I think we could see that happen in is the Giants game. If we meet the Giants and we are unable to score on them, I could see Tony coming in and playing. Tony can beat the hell out of the Giants Defense and I think he knows it. I also think the Coaching Staff knows it. What's holding Dak back from beating the Giants these past two games is his lack of experience. We have lost two games to the Giants by a total of 4 points and scored only 26 points combined. The chances to beat the Giants have been there in each game but we have failed to take advantage of them. The Giants are a good Defense but they are far from an elite or overpowering Defense IMO. They know us well enough and have figured out what Dak can do and can't do or maybe does not like to do is the better way to say it. They take advantage of it. If Dak does not show that he can take advantage of that, then I could see us pulling him and letting Tony play. Tony would cut them up IMO. Now, is this a knock on Dak? I don't think so. In three seasons, Dak is going to be able to do the same thing but we have a chance this year. In that situation, I could see it.

JMO

Very well said.
This is specifically what I'm referring to.

Then after that game...Dak could reel off 2 more wins ;-)

willia451

Reaction score
Dak would have to have a meltdown of epic proportions to be pulled from a playoff game and replaced with Tony Romo if Dak was not injured. And you would know by halftime if that is what was happening to him.

I'm not sure what kind of discussion that would be like at halftime. But it would be an extremely serious and hard one to have.

Dak might get one more series after halftime to prove he wasn't completely shattered. If he couldn't do it. Then they would replace him with Romo.

Having said that. We have seen nothing from Dak this season to indicate such an epic meltdown would ever be in the offing. We didn't see it at Lambeau nor in Pittsburgh. And those a very big stages to play on.

It would be so out-of-character, I would personally wonder if something had happened in his personal life that completely blew him out of orbit. Or he was somehow prone to nervous breakdowns and no one, including him, knew about it.

Just don't see it. Our games this season have always been close at some point and Dak has (almost) always pulled out the win.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

JMO

That's just the game I was thinking of. I think we all have it in the back of our minds. You can see Tony on the sidelines, trying to help, and you just know it's killing him.

That said, Dak wasn't the problem in that first game. There was a Beasley drop, and a Dez drop, and even then, he almost got them back into position to win it. I have a feeling if we get the Giants at home again on a back:back road trip, we'll beat them pretty good with Dak in there, too.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Yeah, the one who has led us to 2 wild card wins in 11 years.
Aww, how cute... you were waiting for Tony to play that one game so you could update your unthinking, boilerplate response to any discussion from 10 to 11 years.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That's just the game I was thinking of. I think we all have it in the back of our minds. You can see Tony on the sidelines, trying to help, and you just know it's killing him.

That said, Dak wasn't the problem in that first game. There was a Beasley drop, and a Dez drop, and even then, he almost got them back into position to win it. I have a feeling if we get the Giants at home again on a back:back road trip, we'll beat them pretty good with Dak in there, too.

I agree with that but even in that first game, and lets be fair here, it was his very first game, Dak had 7 and he just missed it. He could have easily won that game, even with the drops and everything else. It's a learning process and he's gotta go through it but part of that learning, which people seem to have forgotten is watching. Watching is one of the most powerful learning tools there has ever been in the history of Man. It's the way QBs used to be developed and so, what if Dak got pulled and had to sit and learn how to beat the Giants? I just don't see how that would be such a bad thing, to be honest. He's the future and everybody knows it, even Tony.

The thing about that game is that the Giants are the one team that we could go a half losing and still win it in the second half. They are all about Defense, they don't put a lot of points so I could see it.

I don't know, just kinda thinking out loud I guess. With any luck, Dak has figured it out and he plows the Gmen under before any of this ever happens!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The playoffs are different animal.
Loser go home.

What if: Dak is confused and lost in a game? Ie. Vs Giants.

1. Will Garrett put Romo in?
a.) After halftime?
b.) Sometime in 3rd quarter?
c.) In the 4th quarter?

This is not a slight or dig on either QB? It's not. I HAVE OFTEN SAID... I DONT CARE OF "MADEA" QB's US TO SB WIN. I JUST WANT #6.

Im talking in-game, real game playoff game.

What do we do?
d.) leave Dak in and let him learn for next year?
e.) let Romo "save" a game and then let Dak start next one?
Yes, any HC would do it if Dak is really struggling; however, it would have to be a legit QB problem and not like a game or two this season where fans claimed Dak was terrible but in reality the WRs were terrible.

There is no way to know when it would happen. It is unlikely to happen in the 1st quarter but beyond that it would depend on just how badly he was playing.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Romo is going to get sprinkled in regardless of how well Dak is playing.
I don't see that happening.

If Dak really struggles, then they would go to Romo, but otherwise Romo will remain on the bench.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They probably won't.

Then we can sit around all offseason and wonder what would have happened if we played our best QB.
I've heard the Eagles offered 4 first round picks for Romo. They said the Cowboys could also have Wentz if they wanted him.