It has to be asked because it's definitely possible

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Dak would have to play an abismal game, showing no effective drives, and we would need to be within striking distance in the fourth quarter. Romo only sees the field when we are down to our last drive or two unless due to injury.

Dak has done too much and come from behind too often to make the change even if he's not playing great. To go to Romo, Garrett would have to look in Dak's eyes and see something he hasn't seen all year. Very unlikely.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I hope that Dak plays the same way he has over the season and we never have to find out if Romo can lead us back. If we are within 10 points all the way through, leave him in there. If Dallas doesn't get cute with the passing game, there is no reason a steady dose of Zeke will have us fall far behind....if at all.

As for a potential Giants game, they can't score enough to consider putting Romo in. Now, if we still sit at zero to three points after halftime against them, then consider Romo for the 2nd half.

The only game that I can see Tony coming in is against the Falcons. If our defense can't hold them and it turns into a shoot-out, go with the guy that can air it out with the best of them.....just don't wait too long.

Of course, this should be a fluid game-by-game dynamic and just watch where things are heading. For all we know, the playoff pressure while having the former starting QB on your heels might be a bit much for Dak...IDK.

Whatever happens, I hope that Garrett uses all of the tools in his shed if needed rather than going down with the ship.

Play to win now and don't worry about what the pundits will say the following week.....live to fight another day!

Stick to what has worked.....manage the game(different from a game manager) while relying a lot on Zeke and we should be alright :thumbup:

If we are down by 17+ at any point midway through the 3rd quarter and on.......bring in Tony IMO. Just don't wait too long to where it would be an impossible task.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It kind of worked in Dallas stat wise, but Landry finally had to go with Staubach because it was causing a division in the team and it wasnt fair to either QB.

In the case of Shula, Unites and Morall, it is almost exactly how it could happen in Dallas. Morall replaced Unites and beat us in Super Bowl V.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I've heard the Eagles offered 4 first round picks for Romo. They said the Cowboys could also have Wentz if they wanted him.

You heard wrong.

3 first rounder and two #2's next year... and Bradford.... wait... never... lol

sean10mm

Reaction score
In the case of Shula, Unites and Morall, it is almost exactly how it could happen in Dallas. Morall replaced Unites and beat us in Super Bowl V.

Unitas was knocked out of the game with a rib injury, it wasn't part of their gameplan to juggle QBs.

And Landry's experiment with juggling QBs is seen by everyone as a mistake in retrospect.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Man I hope you're right. I hope they trot Romo out first drive. Would be nice to see the "oh sh#t" look on the defenses face, thinking they just wasted a week game planning for the wrong QB. No one has done it because no one has had this unique of a QB situation. We do, so use it to help you win.

Then when we have the lead and they adjust to Romo and spread out to cover deep, trot out Dak to pick them apart with high percent passes and run the clock out with 15 play drives. If they adjust, here comes Romo.

Nice in theory.
Not in application.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Unitas was knocked out of the game with a rib injury, it wasn't part of their gameplan to juggle QBs.

And Landry's experiment with juggling QBs is seen by everyone as a mistake in retrospect.

And they both won. What's your point?

The question was, if I am not mistaken, has this ever happened before? The answer is yes, it has happened before.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It's weird if it wasn't for the human aspect of it all the best option would literally be to play both guys and see who looks best.

It's kinda clear romo is the big play guy with more pop in his arm. But dak is the safer guy who holds onto the ball and plays steady. Dak may be the best guy for this offense. And romo may be the best guy in a shootout
Well this is how I see it, but they will probably not go to Romo unless Dak is really bad from the start and gets behind, way behind.

This could all be moot , people are not considering dak might play great, and take the lead, and lead the whole game and win.

However if things are bad, it is hard to decide if or when to go to Romo, and then the other thing is Romo might not
do any better.

The other thing is if they go to Romo, and he gets close but loses, then JG would look worse than if he just stays with dak.
If he goes to Romo and tony looks good, that would prove he / they made wrong choice to start.

If they dont play Romo, no proof Romo could have done better.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It was and still is one of the biggest upsets in NFL history. 13-2 49ers vs. 8-7 Vikings.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1988-01-10/sports/0010080191_1_vikings-jerry-rice-anthony-carter
good read , didnt remember that game.
With 6:29 left in the third quarter and losing, 27-10, 49ers Coach Bill Walsh pulled Montana and inserted former Tampa Bay quarterback Steve Young. And Young led the 49ers to two touchdowns, but it was not enough to catch the high-rolling Vikings.

Bottom line was also SF could not stop the vikings offense.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Against the Eagles ( the first time ) Dak played poorly for 3 Qtrs then got hot in the 4th and pulled out the win.

You don't pull Dak if he struggles in the playoffs either. He is just as capable of getting hot at any time as Romo would be.
That is another thing, he came back in that game, SF game and has played good or better in the 4th in most of the games.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
My question is what if Romo struggles? Why are we not considering this as an option? There's no way you play Romo unless you're making a permanent change imo. Romo hasn't guided us past the divisional round in 3 attempts?...We put up 17, 6 and 21 points in those games. Is Romo the "divisional round savior/master." We lost two games that could have gone either way by 4 points all year. I think the team that we've had all year will be ready.

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Man I hope you're right. I hope they trot Romo out first drive. Would be nice to see the "oh sh#t" look on the defenses face, thinking they just wasted a week game planning for the wrong QB. No one has done it because no one has had this unique of a QB situation. We do, so use it to help you win.

Then when we have the lead and they adjust to Romo and spread out to cover deep, trot out Dak to pick them apart with high percent passes and run the clock out with 15 play drives. If they adjust, here comes Romo.
Well I like the idea of doing that, I suggest that in another thread, but JG wont do that.

And it is possible if they did, then tony throws a pick 6 or is sacked and fumbles, which leads to easy td, so
you cant just assume Tony would be mr perfect, it could be good or bad.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
My question is what if Romo struggles? Why are we not considering this as an option? There's no way you play Romo unless you're making a permanent change imo. Romo hasn't guided us past the divisional round in 3 attempts?...We put up 17, 6 and 21 points in those games. Is Romo the "divisional round savior/master." We lost two games that could have gone either way by 4 points all year. I think the team that we've had all year wiLloyd be ready.
good point, people see Romo as playing perfect, and just throwing td's scoring 40 points, when before his high was 21 points.

I think they will sink or swim with dak, and he will play good and win.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
In a 'one and done' scenario, if Dak is having an inexplicable meltdown, I can see them turning to Romo if they feel things are slipping away.

The opportunity for a championship supersedes everything else right now. You worry about 'next year' when next year gets here, you don't let it adversely affect today.

I'm as big of a Dak supporter as anyone and I'd have no problem with that. You play to win the Super Bowl.

Me too.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Against the Eagles ( the first time ) Dak played poorly for 3 Qtrs then got hot in the 4th and pulled out the win.

You don't pull Dak if he struggles in the playoffs either. He is just as capable of getting hot at any time as Romo would be.
Except that that isn't at all what happened in the Eagles game.

Dak led 5 drives in the 4th quarter of that game and went 6-for-16 for 79 yards.
The first drive was a three-and-out.
The second drive gained 5 yards and ended in a field goal.
The third drive went for 90 yards and a TD.
The fourth drive was a three-and-out.
The fifth drive came with 38 seconds left in a tied game. He threw an incompletion and took a sack.

He led one good drive in the 4th quarter (he'd also led a long TD drive in the 1st quarter). He didn't "get hot" in the 4th quarter in any reasonable sense of the phrase.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
good point, people see Romo as playing perfect, and just throwing td's scoring 40 points, when before his high was 21 points.

I think they will sink or swim with dak, and he will play good and win.

I understand the allure of Romo. It's a legit question. The problem is that Romo has been propped up to be Brady on this board. While I love Tony, he's still just as unproven ON THIS STAGE. I still remember the air being sucked out of a stadium with questionable Romo decisions some now sweep under the rug. If Tony had more cache in terms of resume, he would have assumed hiso job back immediately without question. My point is there are questions either way and I like our chances with this same 13-3 squad.

Last edited:

rags747

Reaction score
B, early Q3 to give Romo enough time to pull it out. No sense it playing a cold hand if indeed that were to occur.

followthestar

Reaction score
Its a good question about when to put Romo in, but reality is screaming that there is no such thing as Dak "melting down". It simply won't happen. But against the Giants, if we meet them again, I might indeed put Romo in for a series or two, just for old times sake... :)

Alweezy

Reaction score
I could actually see Dak getting pulled for Tony and then coming back the next week as the starter. The game I think we could see that happen in is the Giants game. If we meet the Giants and we are unable to score on them, I could see Tony coming in and playing. Tony can beat the hell out of the Giants Defense and I think he knows it. I also think the Coaching Staff knows it. What's holding Dak back from beating the Giants these past two games is his lack of experience. We have lost two games to the Giants by a total of 4 points and scored only 26 points combined. The chances to beat the Giants have been there in each game but we have failed to take advantage of them. The Giants are a good Defense but they are far from an elite or overpowering Defense IMO. They know us well enough and have figured out what Dak can do and can't do or maybe does not like to do is the better way to say it. They take advantage of it. If Dak does not show that he can take advantage of that, then I could see us pulling him and letting Tony play. Tony would cut them up IMO. Now, is this a knock on Dak? I don't think so. In three seasons, Dak is going to be able to do the same thing but we have a chance this year. In that situation, I could see it.

JMO
I like this line of thinking but I don't see the point in going back to Dak in this scenario. If Romo is good enough to carve up the Giants. Why not let him carve up the Falcons?

I think if we were to go to Romo in the playoffs, it's for keeps. The games are not going to get any easier from this point forward. If it got to this point, it is what it is in terms of getting the job done.