News: It is official! Zeke suspended 6 games **merged**

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
LOL, you're completely wrong.

The league can rule by feel all they want because of its conduct clause. That's what the Brady case decided.

In fact, Zeke's case might not even be heard.

Oh my god, No. One. Is. Saying. The. League. Can't. Do. This. I am saying, if it GOES TO COURT, there will need to be more than just "feelings" ON THIS PARTICULAR RULING. AGAIN, this WAS NOT just on feelings, it wasn't "You made the league look bad with your name in headlines" - I am SAYING they made the ruling stating he abused her.

If they have sufficient evidence, the ruling will stand. If not, I'd be highly surprised if a judge sticks by the current suspension - whether it is reduced to 2 games or whatever and then they slap him with some other bull**** Goodell rule, who knows.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The flaw in your logic though is that there is basis for questioning her accounts. She clearly lied about the last incident, the NFL acknowledges that and yet they still then considered her more credible than Elliott.

That's fairly ridiculous unless the NFL has Elliott lying himself in his testimony to them.
I agree with you. But I think this is how it works. It will be interesting to see what happens. I won't be surprised if Zeke appeals, then serves his suspension. My gut feelings are that he did something, and I don't think he will take it to court. I don't know much about it, but I don't think he has a case against the league for suspending him. I think he's going to want to put it behind him.

erod

Reaction score
Oh my god, No. One. Is. Saying. The. League. Can't. Do. This. I am saying, if it GOES TO COURT, there will need to be more than just "feelings" ON THIS PARTICULAR RULING. AGAIN, this WAS NOT just on feelings, it wasn't "You made the league look bad with your name in headlines" - I am SAYING they made the ruling stating he abused her.

If they have sufficient evidence, the ruling will stand. If not, I'd be highly surprised if a judge sticks by the current suspension - whether it is reduced to 2 games or whatever and then they slap him with some other bull**** Goodell rule, who knows.

The league has to prove nothing. That. Is. The. Point.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
No, I'm not. I haven't seen any of it.

The DA believed her. The NFL believed her. And in this situation, that's all the NFL needs to render this punishment. I wish they'd get out of this business and let the courts handle this kind of stuff. It's over Goodell's head to conduct an investigation of this sort.

No one is arguing against this....

Can you show me who is? Quote them.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I have never said Goodell needed it - I am saying, if this gets taken to court, that there will need to be sufficient evidence for the suspension. This is why this stuff goes there, now obviously, a judge can always go either way - you would hope a judge would have little bias in the matter.

I am saying if they go to court and the only evidence they offer up is similar to the evidence that has been released, there is a good chance this suspension is reduced significantly or completely.

This is what I keep asking- how can any court uphold a suspension based on the NFL commish deciding Zeke "probably" did it? If Elliott was charged, I would say okay, a six game ban.

The answer, of course, and the ace up Goody Goodell's sleeve, is the CBA allowing him to be judge, jury, and executioner when it comes to handing down suspensions. If he deems a player having unmatched socks in a preseason game is a violation of the personal conduct policy, then darn it, Goodell can suspend him for however long his grand dictatorship wants.

To summarize, this sucks.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The league has to prove nothing. That. Is. The. Point.

Uh, yes, yes they do. Which...is why it gets taken to court. Which is why players can appeal.

You are arguing something completely different, and I have explained this countless times; no one is saying the NFL can't suspend a player, they have the power. We are talking the next level, if a player pushes this forward and appeals/goes to court, there has to be justification in the eyes of the judge for the suspension.

I don't get what is complicated here.

erod

Reaction score
No one is arguing against this....

Can you show me who is? Quote them.

What you don't get is that fact ends the discussion. There's no trial to be had. The league doesn't have to prove a thing. It can rule as it pleases. Zeke has no options.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Something I haven't seen posted in here but I've probably only read about 80 pages....

NFL could pursue further discipline vs. Zeke
11265.jpg

According to the Dallas Morning News, the NFL still "could" investigate suspended RB Ezekiel Elliott's involvement in a July 16 bar brawl and "pursue further action" against him.

Elliott's current six-game ban was applied only because he violated the NFL's domestic violence policy. Elliott also violated the NFL's personal conduct policy by exposing a woman's breast on St. Patrick's Day, and the league's investigation into the July 16 bar brawl has yet to be resolved. It's a reminder that Elliott is far from out of the woods with multiple violations of multiple league polices and existing investigations still hanging over his head.
Source: Dallas Morning News
Aug 12 - 2:57 PM

erod

Reaction score
Uh, yes, yes they do. Which...is why it gets taken to court. Which is why players can appeal.

You are arguing something completely different, and I have explained this countless times; no one is saying the NFL can't suspend a player, they have the power. We are talking the next level, if a player pushes this forward and appeals/goes to court, there has to be justification in the eyes of the judge for the suspension.

I don't get what is complicated here.

The players can't appeal to anyone but Roger Goodell. Period.

beacamdim

Reaction score
The Brady case is NOT SIMILAR TO THIS, stop bringing it up - someone tried this yesterday and Fuzzy ripped them apart. Go read that thread - I'm not going in circles

AGAIN, the ruling is based around if he abused her or not - that is where the 6 games came in. There is a reason why this will most likely go to court - you saying the court has no authority to overrule this is you being ignorant of this all.

If they had no power, it would never even reach that level. Zeke can appeal and can have this sent to a judge to review and rule on. The court CAN overturn this and reduce or eliminate his suspension altogether.

You. Are. So. Wrong. Just. Watch.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
This is what I keep asking- how can any court uphold a suspension based on the NFL commish deciding Zeke "probably" did it? If Elliott was charged, I would say okay, a six game ban.

The answer, of course, and the ace up Goody Goodell's sleeve, is the CBA allowing him to be judge, jury, and executioner when it comes to handing down suspensions. If he deems a player having unmatched socks in a preseason game is a violation of the personal conduct policy, then darn it, Goodell can suspend him for however long his grand dictatorship wants.

To summarize, this sucks.

We'll have to see how far Zeke takes this - I think Zeke has a case to get this reduced, due to other players getting lesser suspensions. I can't say exactly what will happen if they go to court, it comes down to a judge - as I said, you hope for less bias and the courts haven't been afraid to go against Goodell in the past.

It all depends on the evidence the NFL has and hasn't shown us. Because outside of that, I don't see how this will hold.

erod

Reaction score
I don't understand how, just because the fight didn't involve punches, that there's no way she didnt sustain some of those bruises from it.
Secondly, I would think that if Zeke did abuse this woman that her bruises would look much worse.

Also, hasn't Zeke lawyers come out already saying that have a slew of new information and evidence to exonerate Zeke?

But none of that matters. The league ruled, and that's the end of it except for an appeal to Goodell to reduce the suspension to fewer games.

Plus, they're looking at the night club incident now. He could receive a further suspension on that.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The players can't appeal to anyone but Roger Goodell. Period.

...and that is why you take it to court. Which is what Zeke's agent is threatening. Now, if they appeal and it gets reduced, I don't see it going to court. I think Zeke will do a 2 game suspension and be done with it. However, if it sticks, this will be going further.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
But none of that matters. The league ruled, and that's the end of it except for an appeal to Goodell to reduce the suspension to fewer games.

Plus, they're looking at the night club incident now. He could receive a further suspension on that.

An appeal is not the end of it.

erod

Reaction score
We'll have to see how far Zeke takes this - I think Zeke has a case to get this reduced, due to other players getting lesser suspensions. I can't say exactly what will happen if they go to court, it comes down to a judge - as I said, you hope for less bias and the courts haven't been afraid to go against Goodell in the past.

It all depends on the evidence the NFL has and hasn't shown us. Because outside of that, I don't see how this will hold.

That doesn't matter whatsoever. The court can't reduce a suspension. They can ONLY rule if Goodell has this right or not. That's already decided.

Let's just hope the nightclub investigation doesn't turn this into a full season.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score

True. In 2015 Greg Hardy appealed a 10 game ban and had it cut to four. My hope is Zeke can maybe get it cut to two as well; but even four would make me a little bit happier.

erod

Reaction score
...and that is why you take it to court. Which is what Zeke's agent is threatening. Now, if they appeal and it gets reduced, I don't see it going to court. I think Zeke will do a 2 game suspension and be done with it. However, if it sticks, this will be going further.

The court can't reduce a suspension. There's no such law to do so.

erod

Reaction score
True. In 2015 Greg Hardy appealed a 10 game ban and had it cut to four. My hope is Zeke can maybe get it cut to two as well; but even four would make me a little bit happier.
Goodell cut it to four. That was largely based on the fact that Hardy had missed a full season already.

Status
Not open for further replies.