News: It is official! Zeke suspended 6 games **merged**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydla

Reaction score
Here's a question.

A big issue here will be the likely court case. In the Brady case, it was the NFL who actually filed suit first, largely because they wanted to control the jurisdiction - they wanted the case in NY and not have the case end up in say MN under Judge Doty.

Florio suggested that the NFL has a leg up here in that after they hear Elliott's appeal, when they know the outcome of the ruling they can quickly run and file in NY before Elliott would then have a chance to file somewhere else, in a more favorable court.

What's stopping Elliott and his people from filing a suit right now? Does the CBA dictate he has to go to an appeal and possibly arbitration before filing a suit?

Sydla

Reaction score
Libel with respect to a public person like Zeke requires proof of actual malice, not just that the statements are false. No chance he would win on such a claim. None.

Well the fact multiple witnesses claim that she clearly said she was out to "ruin Elliott", that might be a place to start with regards to malice.

Hardline

Reaction score
Is anyone trolling the other NFC EAST forums to see what the reactions are besides me?
They are giddy with excitement.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
If you read the last page of the player contract there is a clause that states the commissioner can do what he wants against conduct detrimental.

In reality though the NFL cannot do what it wants. There are provisions in labor law against inequitable punishments. If the NFLPA can present cases where players were treated differently then they have a case. Judge Nelson and Doty have taken the NFL to task over this as well.

All I know is that this upcoming NFL CBA negotiation is going to be a doozy. Collusion, player discipline, money, and on and on. At least this time Goodell and the NFL is not going to have massive public support like they did 5 years ago.
They could use the Brown case to bold IMO unless someone has something I don't.

beacamdim

Reaction score
That's a big one right there.

His agents knew how he rolls. They should have (and likely have been) warning him that any more smoke and this could happen, and that there would be contractual consequences.

Just another example in my opinion of Zeke's hubris/arrogance/stupidity.

And if you were a national sponsor, why would you touch toxic Zeke now, especially when Dak is around?

Dumb. dumb, dumb, Mr. Elliott. Dumb.

mkindred

Reaction score
Is anyone trolling the other NFC EAST forums to see what the reactions are besides me?
They are giddy with excitement.

I made that mistake a few hours ago.. I was already peeved at this decision, going there made it even worse. I'd recommend to anyone else who's angry with this outcome not to do so.. lol.

beacamdim

Reaction score
Not if there's no malice. That being said, your scenario would almost certainly include malice.

No, "malice" in this context is a technical legal standard that is VERY hard to prove. That's why the National Enquirer, Star, etc. stay in business.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Do you believe in "not" learning from your antics? Antics, by the way, the league can punish you for as evidence.
You should learn but which one of these antics are a repeat offense? They all seem different to me.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
They could use the Brown case to bold IMO unless someone has something I don't.

Oh I imagine they will show a whole slew of criminal cases where the league did nothing after the player was cleared.

They can also point to where the league ignored all of the evidence he had to defend himself. They ignored the text messages and the affidavits.

This is not the Brady case where Brady destroyed evidence and did not have much in the way of mitigation.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
It's Friday everyone! The weekend is about to start. Relax and enjoy. Remember this forum is entertainment. Don't get too worked up! Then again I can't blame passionate cowboys fans! Go cowboys !

Don't tell me not to get worked up!! It's my Constitutional right!!!

And get the hell off my lawn!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.