It is time for MNF to go quietly into the night

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I guess all of those years I attended games I never really became that attached to announcers .

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yeah it should be on network tv, it used to be on ABC.
AND they need better announcers.
The original had 3 that were all great , howard cosell, dandy don, and frank gifford.
back then it was also the only NFL night game

I only watch the cowboy mon night games now, Sunday night game is the new mon night game.
Some dont like chris and al but I do, they are better than most others.

I watch the thur nite games only if teams interest me. and if it is on network tv

But mon nite wont go away, it might leave espn , which could be a good thing
But it is doubtful to return to Net TV. ABC moved it to ESPN because they could make more with regular programming. I could see it on FS1, CBSSN or NBCSN because they already carry games on their nets.

And for ESPN, it's not the NFL rights fees, it's all the others they've ponied up for playing keep away that are having the cumulative effect.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But it is doubtful to return to Net TV. ABC moved it to ESPN because they could make more with regular programming. I could see it on FS1, CBSSN or NBCSN because they already carry games on their nets.

And for ESPN, it's not the NFL rights fees, it's all the others they've ponied up for playing keep away that are having the cumulative effect.
They experimented with Yahoo last year for a game from London.

Talk about a turnoff or inconvenience. A NFL game at 8:30 in the morning was tough for me to get in. MNF much more attractive than Sunday Morning football:)

erod

Reaction score
Joe and Jason are an embarrassment.

Jason is king of the hyperbole.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Amazing how important announcers are to fans.
It was the announcers that created the MNF mystique to begin with, the NFL was not near as popular or profitable back then. MNF wasn't about football, it was an event on the worst day of the week back when we got about 1/4 of the games we get today. We created menus around the team we were rooting for and my wife wouldn't even watch games on Sat or Sun unless the Hogs were on and that was seldom. But MNF was really special at it's inception which is why they tried a Hail Mary with Miller in hopes of recreating lightning in a bottle. Now, it's just a football game and about the matchups like TNF was before FOX stepped up to the plate.

I don't watch any game because of the announcers but I will not watch, or at least not listen to one, because of them and MNF is there along with any game with Beth Mowins. And Gary Danielson is getting there quickly as well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It was the announcers that created the MNF mystique to begin with, the NFL was not near as popular or profitable back then. MNF wasn't about football, it was an event on the worst day of the week back when we got about 1/4 of the games we get today. We created menus around the team we were rooting for and my wife wouldn't even watch games on Sat or Sun unless the Hogs were on and that was seldom. But MNF was really special at it's inception which is why they tried a Hail Mary with Miller in hopes of recreating lightning in a bottle. Now, it's just a football game and about the matchups like TNF was before FOX stepped up to the plate.

I don't watch any game because of the announcers but I will not watch, or at least not listen to one, because of them and MNF is there along with any game with Beth Mowins. And Gary Danielson is getting there quickly as well.
The announcers grew the popularity but it’s always been about the game. Well , maybe not for some .

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s a great game. Who cares about the announcers. Wow
If the Cowboys hadn't slipped as a football franchise to supplying the nets with announcers, I guess most wouldn't care. But that's what we're known for now. I am expecting Rico Gathers on CBS next and the reason Earl Thomas wanted to be traded to the Cowboys was to get an announcer's gig after he breaks another leg.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The announcers grew the popularity but it’s always been about the game. Well , maybe not for some .
It was not about the game back then, that was not the model they were following. That back and forth between Don and Howard was directed and it was a brilliant idea but only worked because of Don's personality and Howard's reputation. And the female numbers were huge compared to anything they'd ever seen before on Sundays.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If the Cowboys hadn't slipped as a football franchise to supplying the nets with announcers, I guess most wouldn't care. But that's what we're known for now. I am expecting Rico Gathers on CBS next and the reason Earl Thomas wanted to be traded to the Cowboys was to get an announcer's gig after he breaks another leg.
Up until Direct TV was 5 seconds behind I listened to radio broadcast for about 3 decades if I wasn’t at the game .

Color analysts are all annoying IMO. I don’t need personality broadcasting a game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It was not about the game back then, that was not the model they were following. That back and forth between Don and Howard was directed and it was a brilliant idea but only worked because of Don's personality and Howard's reputation. And the female numbers were huge compared to anything they'd ever seen before on Sundays.
Yea but it would have still been a hit cause fans were starved for the NFL after only 2 games on Sunday. Howard and Don just attracted all of the fringe fans.

landroverking

Reaction score
I used to love MNF and ESPN.
ESPN has slowly killed MNF.
As for ESPN they need a total make over.
Time to clean house.
Fox sports and the NFL Network have raided so much talent form them and as a broadcaster of almost 50 years IMO many retired players need to be selling used cars instead of being on the air.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I used to love MNF and ESPN.
ESPN has slowly killed MNF.
As for ESPN they need a total make over.
Time to clean house.
Fox sports and the NFL Network have raided so much talent form them and as a broadcaster of almost 50 years IMO many retired players need to be selling used cars instead of being on the air.
I only watch espn for their broadcast and they still have a lot of College Football and other major sports broadcast.

I can’t recall last time I watched sportscenter or an analyst pregame or postgame show. Not since I can get everything online.