It is time for MNF to go quietly into the night

JDSmith

Reaction score
Mnf used to be a big deal to me because that's where you got to see all of the highlights of the other games during halftime. Back then there was no 24 hour sports network. So mnf was the only way to see clips from all the weekend's action, and a big deal to the players because they were on the national stage.

Needless to say, the days of players needing exposure and limited access to game clips are long gone. Now mnf just means staying up too late

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I just want to say it was great to see the chiefs come back and not need to rely on the qb passing for over 200 yards. I mean, rely on team execution... that’s how you win in the nfl

End sarcasm

T-RO

Reaction score
Amazing how important announcers are to fans.

George Lucas once said that half of movies is the audio experience. And that’s Star Wars, where the visuals are a mega-million dollar investment. Broadcasting is a huge part of all sports on TV.

Staubacher

Reaction score
I like Monday Night Football. I play softball on Monday nights and it's $1 Tecates at my local bar on Mondays so it's perfect for postgaming

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
They keep trying to inflate a flat tire and there are just some ideas that have an expiration date. I believe this is one of them.

Joe Tessitore, Jason Witten and Booger McFarland are trying too hard and I believe it's been impressed on them that this is a desperate situation. ESPN is bleeding from the jugular because of the rights fees and now that the NFL has turned on them and decided to put better games on TNF, this has run it's course.

I grew up with MNF, it was indeed special to me for many years and actually allowed me to get my wife interested by created indigenous dishes for the team we were rooting for but after 10 years, even that went to rest.

When MNF was born, there weren't Thursday college games or NFL ones, the number of college games were 1/3 of what they are today and I wonder if people, not fans of the two teams playing, are "footballed out" by Monday.

I was looking forward to listening to Witten do these games because he is one of my favorite Cowboys ever but he is just terrible as an analyst and I turned the audio off and just put on some tunes for the DEN-KC game. He is actually detracting from the game.

Sometimes, you have an old friend that you've loved dearly, like a good pet, and it becomes evident that it is time to end their suffering. This needs to end.
A fine essay.
Good lad.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
George Lucas once said that half of movies is the audio experience. And that’s Star Wars, where the visuals are a mega-million dollar investment. Broadcasting is a huge part of all sports on TV.
I never saw Star Wars so can’t relate.

I guess fans here don’t attend many games. It’s like turning the sound down on the TV. All you get is what you see.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Witten being "terrible" as a commentator is seriously an exaggeration here in a place that hates every single commentator they put out there.

The guy is doing fine. And MNF isn't going anywhere, make a thread about Thursday Night Football which is an actual real problem since it causes a short week for players and a game night many players have criticized having.

cern

Reaction score
What a game. Awesome. Witt's gone from reticence to being loquacious. He'll get the hang of it eventually. Needs to be more a teacher than cheerleader.

bandfan

Reaction score
Can we get a Howard Cosell impersonator to do the halftime highlights?

cern

Reaction score
Denver's coach will have some splaining to do with elway. John wasn't happy.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I don't watch MNF that often. Witten at times seems anxious when speaking...

The game tonight was a great game. I only tuned in to see the KC QB, he looks like the best young QB in football, I'd pick him before Wentze.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Witten is a god awful announcer. Do they even interview for these positions? They could have easily listened to his weekly shows on the local shows to see how bland and awful he is. Going to guess his hiring had a lot to do with Romo.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I just want to say it was great to see the chiefs come back and not need to rely on the qb passing for over 200 yards. I mean, rely on team execution... that’s how you win in the nfl

End sarcasm

Lmao

J12B

Reaction score
Witten is an awful commentator, imo. But I like him better than Gruden.

Gruden was the worst. Couldnt stand that guy and how he described plays and players. And the way he would jolt his head around like a moron.

Al Michael's is the best and Collinsworth is decent. NBC puts on a great production.

Joe Buck and Aikman call a good game and Fox presents their game in a very entertaining way.

CBS does a good job too. Romo and Dan Fouts are great color analysts.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Sunday Night football has way more of the feel that MNF back in the day used to bring. I don't really like the half time garbage on any network anymore but I definitely have preferred Sunday Night Football to MNF the last few years. Usually better games too for some reason.

For me too. I don't really watch either much, but MNF has disappeared as an event in my mind, while SNF I might watch even if it's not the Cowboys.

Back in the day, MNF was a real thing for me. Hasn't been for ages.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
I avoid ESPN as much as possible. And I suspected Witten would not do well as a broadcaster. I have not heard him yet. But it sounds like he is not that great.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
CC, sorry big bro, but I totally disagree with you and most others on this topic. I think MNF and it's commentators are great!

Last night's game of the Chiefs at the Broncos was one heck of a game. Talk about a great game to watch! It was better than I expected.

Secondly, I truly love how Jason Witten commentates, along with his play-by-play color analyst Joe Tessitore and assistants Booger McGarland and Lisa Salters. I think it's a right mix. Just love Witten's and Booger's ex-player experience and how they not only inform the viewers but how they express themselves. I actually like hearing Witten better than I do Tony Romo, and that's because I like Tony's explanatory commentating. Yes, I know, weird because I initially didn't think Witten would do well. So far, I've truly enjoyed listening to him. He has a distinct and somewhat funny but very informative way of expressing himself. Kind of reminds me of John Madden. I even once or twice was hoping to hear Witten pull out some famous Madden linguo... "Bam, Boom, Pow!" lol. Just something about Jason's way of talking that I'm surprisingly finding a little funny but enjoyable.

Lastly, I initially had lost interest in recent year's MNF and its previous commentators. I honestly had no interest in listening to this new crew since I didn't think they would do well at all, but they actually remind me of the Pat Summerall and John Madden duo commentating days. Truly surprised. They definitively have my interest. Sorry that my take is the opposite of yours and most everyone else's on here, but I just wanted to give my two cents and explain why. Thanks big bro.

Last edited: