It's Bosa or bust

erod

Reaction score
Run DMC averaged 4.6 ypc with us last year. So even if Elliot rushes for an insane 5 ypc he is only improving our offense minorly. Gurley was a complete STUD last year as a rookie and he averaged 4.8.

I'M NOT SAYING YPC IS THE END ALL BE ALL... but that show a direct impact on the game!

McFadden was poor in short yardage, and he's not going to stay healthy. He was barely used early in the season.

Sydla

Reaction score
McFadden was poor in short yardage, and he's not going to stay healthy. He was barely used early in the season.

McFadden, specifically, wasn't poor in short yardage. His success rates were quite similar to Murray's from the year before. Someone did the analysis here and there was websites that corroborated that.

Overall, Dallas had pretty poor short yardage situations but many of that was tied to failures in short yardage situations by Randle, Michael and Turbin.

erod

Reaction score
McFadden, specifically, wasn't poor in short yardage. His success rates were quite similar to Murray's from the year before. Someone did the analysis here and there was websites that corroborated that.

Overall, Dallas had pretty poor short yardage situations but many of that was tied to failures in short yardage situations by Randle, Michael and Turbin.

Late in the season in meaningless games don't matter.

I want better than Murray and McFadden.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think that's the pick too but I wouldn't expect much as a rookie.

I think he'll end up with about six sacks as a rookie and be a stout run defender.

Where I think Bosa has an advantage over other rookie DEs is his understanding of how to use his hands and countermove.

A lot of DEs come into the league simply used to being able to run past college OTs. Bosa's game isn't built on that.

That's viewed as a negative by many on this board, and it could be, but I think it bodes well for him as a rookie. HIs lack of a standout burst might prevent him from ever being much more of a pass-rushing end than he'll be as a rookie. However, other DEs have succeeded with similar tools to what he has. A lot of it will depend on how hard he works.

Sydla

Reaction score
Sydla, Sydla he's our man, if he can't do it nobody can. Yeeeaaa, team!!!! :flagwave::D

200.gif

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I think he'll end up with about six sacks as a rookie and be a stout run defender.

Where I think Bosa has an advantage over other rookie DEs is his understanding of how to use his hands and countermove.

A lot of DEs come into the league simply used to being able to run past college OTs. Bosa's game isn't built on that.

That's viewed as a negative by many on this board, and it could be, but I think it bodes well for him as a rookie. HIs lack of a standout burst might prevent him from ever being much more of a pass-rushing end than he'll be as a rookie. However, other DEs have succeeded with similar tools to what he has. A lot of it will depend on how hard he works.

That'd be great to get six. I'm thinking more like 2 or 3

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
I want better than Murray and McFadden.

I think you'll be surprised this season. McFadden put up 4.6 YPC, playing mostly without Romo and an injured Dez Bryant. He's likely to have a lot more room to work this season.

Morris isn't washed up (he was only 26 last season), he just wasn't a fit for McVay's system. He was a monster in a zone blocking scheme. He averaged 4.72 YPC in Shanny's zone scheme and 3.85 in Gruden's. We're a lot more like Shanny's.

cmoney23

Reaction score
No chance this team takes another guy with a past drug use history. There is no way. Especially at 4

I was 99% sure that article was completely false... wasn't it the same people that said we signed Tim Tebow?

cmoney23

Reaction score
So you're banking on Darren McFadden, Alfred Morris and Lance Dunbar to carry the running game this season? Really?

Yes. Mcfadden has proven to be dynamic in the run game and Morris is a gamer. Put them together and you have a nice, solid running game. Dunbar to me is a bit of a mystery.
Those statements above spell out: mid round pick on a RB (Like CJ Prosise or Devonte Booker) Not spending a number 4 pick on one.

cmoney23

Reaction score

I agree, he was poor in short yardage. Insert Morris
You can't say if he will stay healthy, no one knows. He did last year.
and with Morris you can time share them even more. Plus the possiblity of Dunbar or a mid/late pick at RB.

cmoney23

Reaction score

Better Question...
Who's starting at DE for us weeks 1 through 4?

dfense

Reaction score
When the 4th pick has produced many elite players over the years, to say you have done well at the 4th pick picking a guy who gives you 5-6 years of solid play is hilarious.

Phillip Rivers was a 4th pick. Charles Woodson was the 4th pick. Edgerrin James was the 4th pick. Jonathon Ogden was the 4th pick. Derrick Thomas was a 4th pick. Chris Doleman was a 4th pick. Kenny Easley was a 4th pick. Willie McGinest was the 4th pick. Justin Smith (granted, who came along much later in his career) was also a 4th pick. In fact, it seems the 4th pick has a lot of feast or famine........... some elite, pro bowl level, all pro players and then some spectacular busts (Curry, McCants, Warrick, Adams).

So because the 4th pick has produced more than it's fair share of upper echelon, stud players it's not really accurate to state that at 4, you are destined to pick a guy with warts and should be happy if you get 5-6 years of solid but unspectacular play.

Man, I liked me some Kenny Easley. That dude brought the wood. But I date myself.

dfense

Reaction score
I agree, he was poor in short yardage. Insert Morris
You can't say if he will stay healthy, no one knows. He did last year.
and with Morris you can time share them even more. Plus the possiblity of Dunbar or a mid/late pick at RB.

He was poor in goal line situations. Not so much short yardage. Romo will help a lot with that. Since none of his backups could throw a TD from inside the 5.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score

a stout run defender at 4 eh?

cmoney23

Reaction score
Straight from the horses mouth:
Joey Bosa, DE (Ohio State) | Round 1 projection

Jones: "He's just one solid football player. He's all about the game. He's certainly been trained the right way. I think his father, his uncle were all top-notch NFL football players. My understanding is his younger brother is one heck of a football player. Football runs in that family through and through and he's certainly one of the best players in this draft. He'll certainly get strong consideration from us. I do think he will be one of the top players picked, as he deserves to be. He's a great football player."

Jalen Ramsey, DB (Florida State) | Round 1 projection

Jones: "He can obviously do both (play cornerback and safety). He's got a little bit of Byron in him, Jones. As we all know, Byron lined up all over the place for us. Lined up at corner, he lined up at free safety, he lined up covering tight ends in the nickel. He's very versatile and I think Jalen is probably a little bit the same way. I think he's probably a better corner as Byron is a corner, but he's another one that's one of the best football players in this draft. He's got great football intangibles. And another great football player who will be picked high in this draft."

DeForest Buckner, DL (Oregon) | Round 1 projection

Jones: "I think he can be (a fit in our scheme), yes he can. I do think he's another one of those guys who's had a great career in college and certainly going to be one of the top players picked in this draft and certainly somebody we'll consider as we decide who we pick (at No. 4)."

Noah Spence, DE (Eastern Kentucky) | Round 1-2 Projection

Jones: "We're comfortable (with Spence). Obviously we're aware (of past off-field issues). It's not unlike the conversation we just finished having. We're aware of the mistakes that he's made along the way. As I said, there's very few players up there who hadn't had a misstep at one point or another. Noah's certainly not off our board, and he's a guy we'll continue to evaluate and see where he fits in terms of if he's a fit for us or how ultimately we move forward as we make our final decisions heading into next week."

Just from these blurbs, I'd think they are leaning towards Bosa. Sounds like the 'RKG' lol

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
As draft day approaches I've finally settled in on my favorite player at 4...

and it's Joey Bosa. He is the best player in the draft. He fits an immediate need and will help stabilize our D for years to come. We will have 3 young, talented DE that we can rotate through and having a good pass rush will help all other facets of our D.

Here's my thinking on the other Prospects.
Elliot- First off, we already have 3 good RB's on the roster. One of which we just signed in FA and one other that rushed for over a thousand yards last year. We are "solid" at that position. Second, 4th overall for a RB is way to high, especially when you have other options. Lastly, if we where to trade down to the 10-15 range and grab him there I would be more at ease with the pick, I like the player- not the fit.

Ramsey- People that follow me on here know, I have been extremely high on Ramsey. Long before the combine or any sites bumped him way up. But the more I think about it, we just drafted "Ramsey" last year. His name is Byron Jones. We have Scandrick coming back and there is good depth at DB in this draft. Similar to Elliot I like the player a lot, but I don't want him at 4.

Only they thing they will be rotating through is the substance abuse program. Just say no to Bosa.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Straight from the horses mouth:
Joey Bosa, DE (Ohio State) | Round 1 projection

Jones: "He's just one solid football player. He's all about the game. He's certainly been trained the right way. I think his father, his uncle were all top-notch NFL football players. My understanding is his younger brother is one heck of a football player. Football runs in that family through and through and he's certainly one of the best players in this draft. He'll certainly get strong consideration from us. I do think he will be one of the top players picked, as he deserves to be. He's a great football player."

Jalen Ramsey, DB (Florida State) | Round 1 projection

Jones: "He can obviously do both (play cornerback and safety). He's got a little bit of Byron in him, Jones. As we all know, Byron lined up all over the place for us. Lined up at corner, he lined up at free safety, he lined up covering tight ends in the nickel. He's very versatile and I think Jalen is probably a little bit the same way. I think he's probably a better corner as Byron is a corner, but he's another one that's one of the best football players in this draft. He's got great football intangibles. And another great football player who will be picked high in this draft."

DeForest Buckner, DL (Oregon) | Round 1 projection

Jones: "I think he can be (a fit in our scheme), yes he can. I do think he's another one of those guys who's had a great career in college and certainly going to be one of the top players picked in this draft and certainly somebody we'll consider as we decide who we pick (at No. 4)."

Noah Spence, DE (Eastern Kentucky) | Round 1-2 Projection

Jones: "We're comfortable (with Spence). Obviously we're aware (of past off-field issues). It's not unlike the conversation we just finished having. We're aware of the mistakes that he's made along the way. As I said, there's very few players up there who hadn't had a misstep at one point or another. Noah's certainly not off our board, and he's a guy we'll continue to evaluate and see where he fits in terms of if he's a fit for us or how ultimately we move forward as we make our final decisions heading into next week."

Just from these blurbs, I'd think they are leaning towards Bosa. Sounds like the 'RKG' lol

If Parcells were still coaching the team, those sound like the attributes he would value. Jones learned a lot from Parcells, but I'm not sure he values pedigree quite as much.

Bosa is the only one that Jones used the words "strong consideration" about. I don't know if that means anything.