It's (near) official-Favre will be a Buc...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theebs;2177667 said:
The Tampa-Dallas game at the stadium is one of only two noon starts.

That would surely be changed to 3:15 if favre is a buc.
I hope so. I get the stinking Cardinals that day.

dgr81

Reaction score
he's going to be a NY Jet

COOK: FAVRE WILLING TO PLAY FOR JETS OR BUCS

Posted by Mike Florio on August 6, 2008, 10:08 a.m. UTC

Agent Bus Cook tells Clifton Brown of Sporting News that quarterback Brett Favre is now willing to play for the Jets or the Buccaneers, and that Favre hopes that a trade will be completed by Thursday, at the latest.

“Brett feels he needs to get into training camp,” Bus Cook told Brown. ”He’s ready to get started.”

And it appears that no other teams are in the mix at this point.

“I haven’t heard of anywhere else,” said Cook. “Sure, he’d consider somewhere else, but it would have to be the right place. I don’t know for sure, but I think the Packers have called just about everybody. Tampa and the Jets are the two teams out front.”

Cook also told Brown he isn’t sure how the divorce between the Packers and Favre will affect his legacy. “I just hope people understand how we got to this point,” said Cook. “Yes, Brett changed his mind. What’s wrong with that? How many people, in how many professions, change their mind? The Packers were pressuring him for an answer back in March. It’s not a coincidence that he made his announcement at that time. They wanted an answer. He gave them one. Then after he changed his mind, they no longer wanted him back. That’s how we got to this point.”

So now Favre will apparently choose between the Bucs or the Jets. For the team that doesn’t get him, an unwanted distraction will follow the franchise for much of the year — especially Favre plays well in his new city, and the quarterback of the team that let Brett get away doesn’t.

If Favre’s preference is to play against the Packers and to compete for a Super Bowl berth, the Bucs are the obvious choice. They host the Packers early in the 2008 season, and they play in a fairly diluted division.

The Jets, on the other hand, don’t play the Packers this year. And they compete directly with the Patriots, playing them twice. The last time Favre faced Tom Brady and company, Brett was on the wrong end of a 35-0 outcome.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
So Favre is basically going to be allowed to do what they would not let Barry Sanders do.

Excellent.

I really wish the Packer org would have stood firm and not traded him.

kmd24

Reaction score
YoMick;2177677 said:
So Favre is basically going to be allowed to do what they would not let Barry Sanders do.

Excellent.

I really wish the Packer org would have stood firm and not traded him.

What realistic alternative did they have? This is likely the best move for their team.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Fine by me. It weakens GB, increases our odds of winning there in Game 3, doesn't help Minny in any way, and might lead to Chris Simms coming to Dallas.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
bbgun;2177884 said:
Fine by me. It weakens GB, increases our odds of winning there in Game 3, doesn't help Minny in any way, and might lead to Chris Simms coming to Dallas.

I was with you until the Simms part.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2177890 said:
I was with you until the Simms part.

Be it Simms or BJ, we're doomed if Romo misses significant time.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
bbgun;2177884 said:

Michael Silver of SI wrote an article suggesting that this was mostly Favre's fault. While he is certainly a me-first prima donna (which I suspected all along), in the long-run, this is going to hurt the Packers big time.

I can't for the life of me understand why they would not allow Favre to come back, out of some totally irrelevant and misguided loyalty to Aaron Rodgers, simply because he's a nice guy. Just because Brett gets traded to Tampa Bay, it doesn't mean a damn thing. You saw how it went at practice and the Packer's intra-squad game. Rodgers plays poorly, the "We want Brett!" chants begin.

It is the worst possible situation for Rodgers -- there is no way he can perform up to his abilities (as lacking as they probably are compared to a HOF quarterback) under this setting and the Packers have themselves to blame for that. Aaron Rodgers is going to play poorly at times this year, because he is a first-year starting QB. Other than our boy Romo and Brady, who else does particularly well in their first year? And he's not that good to begin with, which is why he fell like a rock during the draft. This whole situation will probably ruin Rodger's career, at least in Green Bay, and Ted Thompson is going to get his *** fired over this, possibly along with McCarthy.

As a Cowboys fan, it will be fun to watch this ship go down! :laugh2:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
trickblue;2177544 said:
attention_whore23.jpg

:laugh2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbgun;2177884 said:
I agree.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
my deal on this Hostile buddy,

wouldnt it be grand, because green bay is one of the tough teams this year, generally all teams that go to championship game are tough the next year

Hostile, im not wishing anyone to get hurt, but say Rodgers fails, or gets hurt, before the cowboys play the packers, then like you say, the packers onlly have rookie QBs.

then ted thompson and murphy will be run out of town, due to packers losing this year without QB.

then that lessens a team to really challenge us in the playoffs; makes it easier for the cowboys

granted, tampa bay will be tough with Farve, but at same time, tampa bay doesnt have great wrs, then star running back is coming off a major major injury, that generally you dont come back from

galloway is way too old now and they really dont have a good tight end and tampa bays defense is fair,

then only team i see challenging the cowboys this year is minnesotta if their QB settles down, with berriman now from the bears, they will have the deep threat, and their good rbs, and their stout run defense and acquistion on that good defensive end from chiefs,

but boy oh boy, can you imagine what would actually happen if rodgers goes down, or doesnt make impact at QB that green bay does and tampa bay does decent with farve

i am still hoping that the cowboys can get chris simms now, but the packers may demand in that trade of farve to tampa bay a draft pick and a QB,

hmmm, do you think green bay would ask for chris simms in that trade or garcia??????

lkelly

Reaction score
Why does everyone quickly dismiss the Bucs? They did make the playoffs last season. Gruden has won a super bowl. Unless you think that Garcia is a better fit for that team, Dallas fans should want Favre in the AFC instead of in Tampa.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
cowboys2233;2177907 said:
Michael Silver of SI wrote an article suggesting that this was mostly Favre's fault. While he is certainly a me-first prima donna (which I suspected all along), in the long-run, this is going to hurt the Packers big time.

I can't for the life of me understand why they would not allow Favre to come back, out of some totally irrelevant and misguided loyalty to Aaron Rodgers, simply because he's a nice guy. Just because Brett gets traded to Tampa Bay, it doesn't mean a damn thing. You saw how it went at practice and the Packer's intra-squad game. Rodgers plays poorly, the "We want Brett!" chants begin.

It is the worst possible situation for Rodgers -- there is no way he can perform up to his abilities (as lacking as they probably are compared to a HOF quarterback) under this setting and the Packers have themselves to blame for that. Aaron Rodgers is going to play poorly at times this year, because he is a first-year starting QB. Other than our boy Romo and Brady, who else does particularly well in their first year? And he's not that good to begin with, which is why he fell like a rock during the draft. This whole situation will probably ruin Rodger's career, at least in Green Bay, and Ted Thompson is going to get his *** fired over this, possibly along with McCarthy.

As a Cowboys fan, it will be fun to watch this ship go down! :laugh2:

He left them, remember? He didn't just want to play again; he wanted to play somewhere else. This was been transparently obvious from the get-go. If he sincerely wanted to play in GB, he'd take up the (easy) challenge of besting Rodgers in camp. Instead, the turd cried and whined his way out of Wisconsin. Good riddance, *******.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
lkelly;2177919 said:
Why does everyone quickly dismiss the Bucs? They did make the playoffs last season. Gruden has won a super bowl. Unless you think that Garcia is a better fit for that team, Dallas fans should want Favre in the AFC instead of in Tampa.

True, but from our perspective, Tampa is preferable to GB or Minny.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
lkelly

first the division that tampa bay plays in isnt tough

next tampa bay has a 37 year old wr in joey galloway, kinda on his last legs
they have to sure fire wr after him
their top running back is coming off of a major injury

what helped them last year was garcia, the way he would scramble and throw like romo on the run when romo throws

they dont have a great te either

their defense is up and coming sure, but a year or two away from star quality

so tampa bay doesnt have the elite wide receivers that green bay does
that probably one reason why brett didnt want to go there;
no star wr or star te;

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
breaking news, nfl network just said, brett farve just left green bay, dont know where he is headed though, stay tuned, joe

cowboys2233

Reaction score
bbgun;2177922 said:
He left them, remember? He didn't just want to play again; he wanted to play somewhere else. This was been transparently obvious from the get-go. If he sincerely wanted to play in GB, he'd take up the (easy) challenge of besting Rodgers in camp. Instead, the turd cried and whined his way out of Wisconsin. Good riddance, *******.

No, because while he knew he could beat Rodgers out any day of the week, he did not trust that it would be a fair competition, and with good reason. You could hear it in Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy's voices, they were pissed at him, no two ways about it.

Yes, he is a turd and cried and whined and all of that, but for the Packers organization to suggest that Favre had to compete for a friggin' roster spot is totally ********. Anyone and their mother knows that Favre is the better QB. They've said all along they want whats best for the team. When their 13-3 record falls to 8-8 or 7-9, let me know how that's working out for them. They should have welcomed him back at the very beginning, despite his prima-donna attitude and flip-flopping because he gives them the best chance to win.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
lkelly;2177919 said:

I think we could see Favre ruin another team. Jeff Garcia is the perfect west-coast QB and did take them to the playoffs last year. If Brett plays his usual shoot-from-the-hip style and throws a bunch of interceptions, this whole thing will come crashing down too! And he will because Gruden's offense has really complicated terminology and even though Favre is familiar with the stuff, he doesn't know it like the back of his hand. Poor Brett's head is going to hurt!

Who would have thunk that Favre would be one of our most valuable players by taking down two playoff contenders? :laugh2:

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
We'll see if the good ole country boy gun slinger can handle Grudens paragraph long play calls.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
cowboys2233;2177937 said:
No, because while he knew he could beat Rodgers out any day of the week, he did not trust that it would be a fair competition, and with good reason. You could hear it in Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy's voices, they were pissed at him, no two ways about it.

LOL. How could they deny him the job is he clearly beat out Rodgers? There'd be a riot in Green Bay if that happened. Favre was counting on management being pissed at his change of heart so he could use that "impasse" as an excuse to get the hell out of Dodge.

Yes, he is a turd and cried and whined and all of that, but for the Packers organization to suggest that Favre had to compete for a friggin' roster spot is totally ********. Anyone and their mother knows that Favre is the better QB. They've said all along they want whats best for the team.

Sorry, but this is a business. Ex-QBs don't come and go as they please like a ****ing cat through a cat door. They "insulted" him by asking him to compete? Too damn bad. This is a guy who publicly pined to play for a hated rival. **** him and his selfish desires.