It's time to do some math

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I’ve got 1 more WR, 1 more QB (that could change if Rico plays well against Arizona), one fewer DL, 1 more LB, one fewer CB, and one fewer S. All of this could change after the final cuts.

Now that's how you play GM. Want someone, gotta cut some one. Only 53 make it. Remember White can go to the PS. The PS is over and above the 53

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Thompson is one.

Williams, Hurns, Gallup, Beasley, Austin.

That’s 5. If they go to 7 it’s for Lenoir and Thompson because they can’t admit their mistake with Thompson.
agree. Noah is odd man out. And I think we will keep 6 not 7. Could be Lenoir over Thompson if we only keep 6. If we keep 7 someone has to be dropped off of one of the other position groups. DT?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok, I decided to practice my math skills to come up with possibilities that equal 53, by position only, not by player.

QB 's 2

RB's 4 including a FB

WR's 6

TE 3 (sorry Rico)

O-line 8

Long snapper 1

Punter 1

Placekicker 1

DT 5

DE 6

LB'er 5

CB's 6

S 5

Are the numbers right for the O-line now? How about S? CB? Which position group do you take from to strengthen? Which group do you take from to get 4 TE's on the 53 including Rico.

Again I didn't use players names because there are so many pet cats. What do you guys think? Be a manager for a day

6 LB's, maybe 9 DB's
A little long at DL, but can see keeping 11, but more likely 10
I could see keeping one less RB but 4 TE's, that one can be a tough call
By going 2 QB's, I would not be surprised them keeping 7 WR's at least for week 1. Depending what they do with Noah Brown, move him to IR possibly.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Ok, I decided to practice my math skills to come up with possibilities that equal 53, by position only, not by player.

QB 's 2

RB's 4 including a FB

WR's 6

TE 3 (sorry Rico)

O-line 8

Long snapper 1

Punter 1

Placekicker 1

DT 5

DE 6

LB'er 5

CB's 6

S 5

Are the numbers right for the O-line now? How about S? CB? Which position group do you take from to strengthen? Which group do you take from to get 4 TE's on the 53 including Rico.

Again I didn't use players names because there are so many pet cats. What do you guys think? Be a manager for a day

Love these. Thanks. I think Rico beats out DS. He has been awful despite his draft status. I see them going heavy at OL given the Beard. Minus 1 Safety / CB, plus 1 OL. I think Xavier W provides options to play in the slot or deep third so that is why they lighten there. I also go minus 1 at DE and plus 1 at wideout. They have a lot of similar talent at WR and like guys like Lance and Noah. One or both are going to make the team. Gallup has been the only standout so they are going to want options. Plus Austin is a keeper no matter what. DEs might be the best position on the team outside of the beastly OL. Can’t believe I just said that but DLaw is a stud, Taco has been great, Armstrong has real potential, and Gregory could be the best of all of them. They have a lot of talent in the top guys and good depth. If I would take one flyer I would say LB could be heavy given the injury history at the position. Top 3 are studs with question marks. They seem to like Thomas and he can play ST. They only thing is that LBs could be lite because they play nickel so much.

Good post - Happy Sunday!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we keep 3 TE's, it's sorry Jarwin or Schultz. Rico stays because he's the only TE who isn't redundant and limited on passing downs.

Without a shadow of a doubt Jarwin would stay before Rico. Schultz is far and away the more likely to get bumped to make room for Rico.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope it’s not calculus

I could not do a calculus problem today to save my life.
Got A's in college in it, used it after I graduated. But with all the computer programs, some which I wrote myself to use. And all the CAD systems that came out. Stopped using it over 25 years ago. But one still needs a basic knowledge to know it what the computer gives is close to being right. LOL.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Without a shadow of a doubt Jarwin would stay before Rico. Schultz is far and away the more likely to get bumped to make room for Rico.
Jarwin has no draft pedigree and has shown me nothing. He ran two terrible routes in the Cincinnati game, one of them should have been a TD.

Schultz has shown very little as well (boneheaded decision to NOT go out of bounds before halftime last week) but because of what we invested in him, I'd probably consider keeping him over Jarwin if we can't IR him. I'm just not so sure he'll clear waivers if we do cut him simply because he was a 4th round pick and ranked in the top 5 for tight ends this past draft class (albeit in a weak TE class).

Swaim is my primary in-line blocking TE for more power sets (though I prefer going more 5-man gun lines myself, like the Eagles), and Rico is my slot TE when we go more shotgun.

Thus, if Rico has to block, he's likely blocking a safety, nickel corner or small linebacker, not some big guy that might overwhelm him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could not do a calculus problem today to save my life.
Got A's in college in it, used it after I graduated. But with all the computer programs, some which I wrote myself to use. And all the CAD systems that came out. Stopped using it over 25 years ago. But one still needs a basic knowledge to know it what the computer gives is close to being right. LOL.

I’m willing to pay other people to know calculus. Lol.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I would not be surprised if we only carried 2 RBs. The versatility of Jamize and Austin as runners would be the logic behind it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jarwin has no draft pedigree and has shown me nothing. He ran two terrible routes in the Cincinnati game, one of them should have been a TD.

Schultz has shown very little as well (boneheaded decision to NOT go out of bounds before halftime last week) but because of what we invested in him, I'd probably consider keeping him over Jarwin if we can't IR him. I'm just not so sure he'll clear waivers if we do cut him simply because he was a 4th round pick and ranked in the top 5 for tight ends this past draft class (albeit in a weak TE class).

Draft pedigree? You mean like how Ryan Leaf was a better QB than Tony Romo?

And since when is late 6th round much of a draft pedigree?

Draft pedigree means nothing once in the league. And it’s preseason - limited use and situations. Jarwin seems clearly quicker than the other guys, has good hands, and the Cowboys have easily shown they like him. That equates to him being a lock for the team.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
I would not be surprised if we only carried 2 RBs. The versatility of Jamize and Austin as runners would be the logic behind it.
I wouldn't be against that. Still, if we do go 3 RBs, we have to keep Jackson over Scarbrough. Scarbrough has shown next to nothing. He just plows into linemen without even thinking and he's not elusive or quick in space like Jackson is.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Draft pedigree? You mean like how Ryan Leaf was a better QB than Tony Romo?

Draft pedigree means nothing once in the league. And it’s preseason - limited use and situations. Jarwin seems clearly quicker than the other guys, has good hands, and the Cowboys have easily shown they like him. That equates to him being a lock for the team.
What has Jarwin shown you? Hands-wise? Rico has the best hands, but Jarwin? Jarwin has dropped a few, and he obviously wasn't quick enough to make up for his mistake in route running on what should have been a TD from Dak last game. How about blocking? Swaim is clearly better than Jarwin in blocking, and Schultz was known for his blocking at Stanford. I think they want Jarwin to play the Hanna role, but Hanna was honestly pretty useless, both in blocking and in the pass game (where we should have used him more, honestly).