It's time to do some math

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What has Jarwin shown you? Hands-wise? Rico has the best hands, but Jarwin? Jarwin has dropped a few, and he obviously wasn't quick enough to make up for his mistake in route running on what should have been a TD from Dak last game. How about blocking? Swaim is clearly better than Jarwin in blocking, and Schultz was known for his blocking at Stanford. I think they want Jarwin to play the Hanna role, but Hanna was honestly pretty useless, both in blocking and in the pass game (where we should have used him more, honestly).

I seen more from Jarwin than I have from Schultz.
But that is just me, not sure what others have seen or their opinions.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Draft pedigree? You mean like how Ryan Leaf was a better QB than Tony Romo?

And since when is late 6th round much of a draft pedigree?.
Late 6th round? Schultz was a 4th rounder.

Unless you're talking about Swaim and Gathers who were 6th rounders for very different reasons. Swaim was considered a strong blocking TE coming out of college who didn't really have any receiving skills. (His first 2 preseason targets were from Dak and resulted in bad drops, first preseason game 2016, IIRC)... Gathers was a basketball player who was very talented but not quite good enough to make the ultra-competitive NBA. So he went into football. He's easily the most talented and athletic TE on the roster, and the only deep seam threat. Cutting him would be downright stupid. As for Swaim, cutting him would be stupid because it's his last year here on his rookie deal and he's by far the best blocking TE option on the team and likely in the division as well.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
I seen more from Jarwin than I have from Schultz.
But that is just me, not sure what others have seen or their opinions.
I agree on not having seen a damn thing from Schultz, but he was a consensus top 5 tight end in the 2018 draft class for a reason. (Bad year for TEs, I know.) If they can't find a way to IR him, like the Eagles did with the disappointing Donnel Pumphrey last year, I find it unlikely that they'll want to take their chances on him clearing waivers and us being able to store him on PS for a year.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What has Jarwin shown you? Hands-wise? Rico has the best hands, but Jarwin? Jarwin has dropped a few, and he obviously wasn't quick enough to make up for his mistake in route running on what should have been a TD from Dak last game. How about blocking? Swaim is clearly better than Jarwin in blocking, and Schultz was known for his blocking at Stanford. I think they want Jarwin to play the Hanna role, but Hanna was honestly pretty useless, both in blocking and in the pass game (where we should have used him more, honestly).

You are putting too much stock in your personal perception from limited and individual preseason moments. I’ve seen the smooth routes and hands and quickness, and clearly the coaching staff has a whole lot more information and moments to judge from than we do. And even if the future proves both me and the coaches end up being wrong about Jarwin, it doesn’t change the fact that in the present you personally liking Rico does not put him ahead of Jarwin on the depth chart.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Late 6th round? Schultz was a 4th rounder.

Unless you're talking about Swaim and Gathers who were 6th rounders for very different reasons. Swaim was considered a strong blocking TE coming out of college who didn't really have any receiving skills. (His first 2 preseason targets were from Dak and resulted in bad drops, first preseason game 2016, IIRC)... Gathers was a basketball player who was very talented but not quite good enough to make the ultra-competitive NBA. So he went into football. He's easily the most talented and athletic TE on the roster, and the only deep seam threat. Cutting him would be downright stupid. As for Swaim, cutting him would be stupid because it's his last year here on his rookie deal and he's by far the best blocking TE option on the team and likely in the division as well.

Rico was the 6th rounder. Swaim was a 7th rounder.

And I know the Rico story.

By the way, did you know Jarwin averaged over 16 yards per catch in college?

millennial_legend

Reaction score
You are putting too much stock in your personal perception from limited and individual preseason moments. I’ve seen the smooth routes and hands and quickness, and clearly the coaching staff has a whole lot more information and moments to judge from than we do. And even if the future proves both me and the coaches end up being wrong about Jarwin, it doesn’t change the fact that in the present you personally liking Rico does not put him ahead of Jarwin on the depth chart.
Simply but, Gathers is the only DEEP seam threat on the roster and the only guy who can make a 30/70 ball in traffic into double coverage look like an easy catch... you don't trade that unless you have a better one with those skills on the roster, and we don't.

Swaim is the best blocking TE on the roster, and the other two are just poor man's Swaim's and redundant with each other. I don't care which one we drop between Schultz and Jarwin, honestly. Or we can keep 4 TEs as I recommend. We don't need an extra JAG on the offensive line who we can find on the street midseason if necessary (hopefully not necessary).

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Rico was the 6th rounder. Swaim was a 7th rounder.

And I know the Rico story.

By the way, did you know Jarwin averaged over 16 yards per catch in college?
College defenders are slower and mostly play zone to minimize injury and fatigue. Jarwin's catches were mostly over the middle into soft spots, not very many catches in traffic to be found. Mostly Ertz style catch, dodge defenders and avoid contact or go out of bounds.

Gathers did it against #1's and some #2's last year, particularly #1's in the Arizona game last preseason.

Guess who we play tonight... yep, Arizona.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Simply but, Gathers is the only DEEP seam threat on the roster and the only guy who can make a 30/70 ball in traffic into double coverage look like an easy catch... you don't trade that unless you have a better one with those skills on the roster, and we don't.

Swaim is the best blocking TE on the roster, and the other two are just poor man's Swaim's and redundant with each other. I don't care which one we drop between Schultz and Jarwin, honestly. Or we can keep 4 TEs as I recommend. We don't need an extra JAG on the offensive line who we can find on the street midseason if necessary (hopefully not necessary).

That’s your opinion. Not mine or everyone’s.

That’s not to say Rico doesn’t have some of the traits you say he does. He’s a very intriguing prospect, and I think he will make the team, but it think it likely will be based on keeping 4 TEs or at the expense of Schultz, who they possibly could try and sneak on the practice squad.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
That’s your opinion. Not mine or everyone’s.

That’s not to say Rico doesn’t have some of the traits you say he does. He’s a very intriguing prospect, and I think he will make the team, but it think it likely will be based on keeping 4 TEs or at the expense of Schultz, who they possibly could try and sneak on the practice squad.
I wouldn't mind cutting Schultz and sneaking him onto the PS. But if he gets picked up off waivers, we don't get a comp pick for that.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
College defenders are slower and mostly play zone to minimize injury and fatigue. Jarwin's catches were mostly over the middle into soft spots, not very many catches in traffic to be found. Mostly Ertz style catch, dodge defenders and avoid contact or go out of bounds.

Gathers did it against #1's and some #2's last year, particularly #1's in the Arizona game last preseason.

Guess who we play tonight... yep, Arizona.
Lol - you were the one talking up pedigree. So what a guy did in college only matters when it suits an argument against Jarwin?

And quit arguing Rico has made some plays. I’ve never said he hasn’t.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'd keep 7 Wr's and dump a DB. I'd keep Rico and dump one of our average TE's because it won't make a difference in the slightest.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I don't see us keeping 6 DEs. I think we roll with D Law, Gregory, Taco, Armstrong and slide T Crawford back to DE if the injury bug bites. We have to go long at other positions-- gotta cut back somewhere.

J12B

Reaction score
Without a shadow of a doubt Jarwin would stay before Rico. Schultz is far and away the more likely to get bumped to make room for Rico.

If Schultz doesnt make the team he will be a very bad pick.

Can't believe Maurice Hurst wasn't picked with our 4th round draft pick.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok, I decided to practice my math skills to come up with possibilities that equal 53, by position only, not by player.

QB 's 2

RB's 4 including a FB

WR's 6

TE 3 (sorry Rico)

O-line 8

Long snapper 1

Punter 1

Placekicker 1

DT 5

DE 6

LB'er 5

CB's 6

S 5

Are the numbers right for the O-line now? How about S? CB? Which position group do you take from to strengthen? Which group do you take from to get 4 TE's on the 53 including Rico.

Again I didn't use players names because there are so many pet cats. What do you guys think? Be a manager for a day

O 2 QB, 4 RB, 9 OL and 10 Receivers 25
D 9 DL, 6 LB, 10 Secondary 25
ST 3

Irving's suspension gives them some wiggle room for the 54th roster player until after the 4th game.

They could put Yosemite on PUP if he doesn't respond to the treatment quickly which could also free up another spot until he's well enough to play.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
I don't see us keeping 6 DEs. I think we roll with D Law, Gregory, Taco, Armstrong and slide T Crawford back to DE if the injury bug bites. We have to go long at other positions-- gotta cut back somewhere.
Agree. Strength of the defense is in the front 7 so I don't think we even need to keep 5 DEs once we get Irving back.

Starters (Base 4-3): D-Law, Woods, Collins, Charlton
Starters (Nickel 4-2-5): D-Law, Collins, Crawford, Gregory
3rd Down Package: D-Law, Crawford, Charlton, Gregory
Backups: Armstrong, Price, (Ward or Tapper?)

Do we even need a 9th until we get Irving??

millennial_legend

Reaction score
O 2 QB, 4 RB, 9 OL and 10 Receivers 25
D 9 DL, 6 LB, 10 Secondary 25
ST 3

Irving's suspension gives them some wiggle room for the 54th roster player until after the 4th game.

They could put Yosemite on PUP if he doesn't respond to the treatment quickly which could also free up another spot until he's well enough to play.
Can't put Freddy on PUP, because he played in the preseason. Have to declare that before start of preseason. He can only go on NFI or IR.

There is no more "IR-Designated to Return", because you can now bring back any two players from IR at any point during the season after week 8, instead of just one.

So Frederick would be eligible to return week 9 if we IR him, or week 7 (I believe) if we NFI him.

Techsass

Reaction score
If Schultz doesnt make the team he will be a very bad pick.

Can't believe Maurice Hurst wasn't picked with our 4th round draft pick.
Hurst was my choice to fill our DT needs. Got to see him perform in the Oakland game & couldn't help but think he is way better than Schultz.

Can't put Freddy on PUP, because he played in the preseason. Have to declare that before start of preseason. He can only go on NFI or IR.

There is no more "IR-Designated to Return", because you can now bring back any two players from IR at any point during the season after week 8, instead of just one.

So Frederick would be eligible to return week 9 if we IR him, or week 7 (I believe) if we NFI him.
I didn't realize NFI required a 6 game wait.

J12B

Reaction score
Hurst was my choice to fill our DT needs. Got to see him perform in the Oakland game & couldn't help but think he is way better than Schultz.

The 4th round comp pick was the perfect time to get him. Low risk and high reward at that point.

I mean we took Gregory in the 2nd after knowing of all of his concerns and Jaylon at the top of the 2nd as well knowing he would miss an entire season. Not saying I didn't like those picks, but Hurst was a 1st round talent. No reason not to roll the dice in that spot.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 4th round comp pick was the perfect time to get him. Low risk and high reward at that point.

I mean we took Gregory in the 2nd after knowing of all of his concerns and Jaylon at the top of the 2nd as well knowing he would miss an entire season. Not saying I didn't like those picks, but Hurst was a 1st round talent. No reason not to roll the dice in that spot.

Of course we have to remember Witten had just told the team he was going to retire, and the team was a little caught off guard, plus the team didn’t yet know Irving was going to be out or that Collins was going to get hurt. 3Tech type DTs were not a shortage for the Cowboys at the time.