It's time to start taking Noah Brown seriously

NotForLong

Reaction score
Brown is getting open on ins, outs, sluggos, and flies. He has come a long way with his route running. He has RAC ability being able to maintain balance through contact.

My concern is his body control, strength, and overall ability to make contested catches. He struggles against the jam. He is a big body too.

That is something you either have or you don't. I'm sure that they have drills but Rico Gathers has no experience and is able to make catches with 3 guys hanging off of him on a curl. Brown drops the ball when contested, doesn't fight to stop interceptions, gets caught on the line with good jams, and shows no skill handfighting downfield.

If gets a clean release and gets clear separation he makes plays but he is not going to get that open against most starters.

He has come far but I think people overrate him as a prospect. I'd rather keep Theaker and Hanna over him. I don't want to go short on defense either. Only reason to keep him would be if we only keep 2 QBs.

Hes only 20

NotForLong

Reaction score
Ok. Bookmark my meaningless guarantee. Let's revisit in 2 weeks. :) That'll be fun. Just think, you'll have a chance to prove how meaningless my 5 second prediction really was after all.

I am a witness

NotForLong

Reaction score
Please.

The last "receiver" - who couldn't actually play receiver - that this team cut - amidst a bunch of controversy, was scooped up by one of the top teams in waiver claims. The receiver-starved New York Jets. Since then, they've lost their top option for the season, and that 'unLucky' guy they claimed from the Cowboys.

They've pounce on Noah Brown before the waiver hit the internet.

And then the uninformed like you would try to downplay it and criticize the player as being "not that good anyway".

We need to keep him. So we can stasharoo him

plasticman

Reaction score
If the Cownoys keep their best 53 players regardless of position then Brown would stay.

Unfortunately, at this point, it would probably take an injury or trade. Due to circumstances, the Cowboys are forced to go heavy at a few positions like DE and possibly QB.

bud914

Reaction score
might not be a popular idea but i would try and trade Twill with his cap friendly deal for a decent draft pick. Brice, Brown, Switzer all have more chance of helping this team more IMO...

John813

Reaction score
might not be a popular idea but i would try and trade Twill with his cap friendly deal for a decent draft pick. Brice, Brown, Switzer all have more chance of helping this team more IMO...

We would lose 2.75mil more in cap space if we traded off Williams this year.
His cap hit this year is only 2.25m. His dead cap space, if traded, is 5m.
T-Will does a good job in the run game.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

Bad ideas are typically not popular.

Sydla

Reaction score
Take him seriously? As what? A 6th WR?

OK, I can buy that.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Though they gave him a new contract, could T. Williams be shown the door?

Sydla

Reaction score
Though they gave him a new contract, could T. Williams be shown the door?

No.

We seem to do this every year. Some rookie or UDFA makes a few nice plays against back ups in scrimmages and preseason games and people start to scramble to find ways to have that guy make the roster over a proven vet.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I end up with a bottom-roster pet WR pretty much every preseason. I like Brown, and feel about him about the same way I felt about Vince Mayle. I'm all for keeping the guy, if space allows. I won't shed any tears, though, if we end up cutting him to make room at another position that's more important or harder to fill.

Is possibly losing his talent elsewhere worth keeping a 9th OL who won't play?

Is losing his talent worth keeping Kellen Moore?

bud914

Reaction score
No.

We seem to do this every year. Some rookie or UDFA makes a few nice plays against back ups in scrimmages and preseason games and people start to scramble to find ways to have that guy make the roster over a proven vet.
yes i think we have seen how proven Twill is. he has hit his upside already

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If the Cownoys keep their best 53 players regardless of position then Brown would stay.

Unfortunately, at this point, it would probably take an injury or trade. Due to circumstances, the Cowboys are forced to go heavy at a few positions like DE and possibly QB.

Actually, the circumstances might help us keep a player like Brown if he is one of our "best 53" because the suspended players don't count against the roster.

Keeping Brown could easily come down to a choice between him and a ninth offensive lineman, 10th DL, seventh LB or 11th DB, and that's even if we keep three QBs.

I posted this in another thread, but here are the numbers:

3 QBs (Prescott, Moore, Rush)
1 FB (Smith)
3 RB (McFadden, Morris, Smith with Elliott suspended)
4 TE (Witten, Hanna, Swaim, Gathers)
6 WR (Bryant, Williams, Beasley, Switzer, Butler, Brown)
8 OL (Smith, Cooper, Frederick, Martin, Collins, Green, Looney, Bell or Cleary)
5 DE (Lawrence, Crawford, Mayowa, Charlton, Tapper or Jones with Irving and Moore suspended)
4 DT (Collins, Thornton, Paea, Neal)
6 LB (Lee, Hitchens, Smith, Durant, Nzeocha, Wilber with Wilson likely suspended)
6 CB (Scandrick, Brown, Awusie, Lewis, White and Thomas with Carroll possibly suspended)
4 S (Jones, Heath, Woods, Frazier)
3 ST (Bailey, Jones, Ladouceur)

So as that is, would you rather keep a 10th DL like Ivie, a ninth OL in either Bell or Cleary (depending which one you kept as the eighth), a fifth S in Blanton, a seventh LB in Joseph Jones or a 6 DE in Lenny Jones? Like Brown, none of those are likely to dress on game days because there isn't enough room of the 46-man roster.

If Wilson and Carroll aren't suspended, would you rather keep Durant or Thomas over Brown? Again, two players at their positions also are guaranteed not to dress for game day. I think Durant was only brought in because of the looming suspension for Wilson.

Even if Elliott isn't suspended, I'd rather keep Brown's potential over carrying Morris as a fourth RB who doesn't dress for games but is strictly on the roster as insurance. (He wouldn't dress because Smith plays on special teams and McFadden is the primary backup.)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is possibly losing his talent elsewhere worth keeping a 9th OL who won't play?

Is losing his talent worth keeping Kellen Moore?

You'd be hard-pressed to find a talent not worth keeping over Kellen Moore.

Honestly, they could cut the guy today and move him into an assistant coach / emergency backup role. No other team would touch the guy and he'd have zero reason to leave what he has going with Linehan.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He does have that look. However Dez is the best contested catch WR I've ever seen. Don't think Brown will compare in that regard.

I seen him make many of contested catches at OSU. No, this does not make him near what Dez is, but Dez also has quite a few years in the NFL on him too.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually, the circumstances might help us keep a player like Brown if he is one of our "best 53" because the suspended players don't count against the roster.

Keeping Brown could easily come down to a choice between him and a ninth offensive lineman, 10th DL, seventh LB or 11th DB, and that's even if we keep three QBs.

I posted this in another thread, but here are the numbers:

3 QBs (Prescott, Moore, Rush)
1 FB (Smith)
3 RB (McFadden, Morris, Smith with Elliott suspended)
4 TE (Witten, Hanna, Swaim, Gathers)
6 WR (Bryant, Williams, Beasley, Switzer, Butler, Brown)
8 OL (Smith, Cooper, Frederick, Martin, Collins, Green, Looney, Bell or Cleary)
5 DE (Lawrence, Crawford, Mayowa, Charlton, Tapper or Jones with Irving and Moore suspended)
4 DT (Collins, Thornton, Paea, Neal)
6 LB (Lee, Hitchens, Smith, Durant, Nzeocha, Wilber with Wilson likely suspended)
6 CB (Scandrick, Brown, Awusie, Lewis, White and Thomas with Carroll possibly suspended)
4 S (Jones, Heath, Woods, Frazier)
3 ST (Bailey, Jones, Ladouceur)

So as that is, would you rather keep a 10th DL like Ivie, a ninth OL in either Bell or Cleary (depending which one you kept as the eighth), a fifth S in Blanton, a seventh LB in Joseph Jones or a 6 DE in Lenny Jones? Like Brown, none of those are likely to dress on game days because there isn't enough room of the 46-man roster.

If Wilson and Carroll aren't suspended, would you rather keep Durant or Thomas over Brown? Again, two players at their positions also are guaranteed not to dress for game day. I think Durant was only brought in because of the looming suspension for Wilson.

Even if Elliott isn't suspended, I'd rather keep Brown's potential over carrying Morris as a fourth RB who doesn't dress for games but is strictly on the roster as insurance. (He wouldn't dress because Smith plays on special teams and McFadden is the primary backup.)

Thanks.
I been saying something similar to this for a while now.
We have a lot of competition in the secondary, and we can't keep them all. I don't see them going long at DB, not when you can keep a player like Brown. And if we need a DB at some point, there are several about the same type of player. I still think M. White is a PS guy. So he or Duke Thomas, even Leon McFadden could be a 9th or 10th DB if it comes down to that. But you do not keep any of them over Noah Brown.

You do not keep Carrell at DL, not when Irving and Moore will be back. You go with your top 8 in the rotation, as the 9th or 10th DL most likely will be inactive.
From what I seen of Ivie, you keep Noah over him also.

FaSho

Reaction score
People talking about getting rid of Butler is ridiculous to me. I think he should be our #2.