I've listened to Stephen Jones talk twice

jjktkk

Reaction score
stasheroo;4511741 said:
I don't dislike the player and I know he'd be a nice addition, but I just think the team has much bigger needs, especially with how little production they've gotten out of that #2 TE when they have drafted them.

Again, on my own list, plenty of other needs come up before #2 TE does.

Your 1st two positions on your mock were addressed in fa. Nowhere on your mock do I see a TE. TE is not a big need, but it is a need imo, because I don't think Phillips is the same player he was, prior to his knee injury.

jjktkk

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4511766 said:
New England has...but it was only recently with Gronk and Hernandez...prior to that they were drafting TEs like wild fire over the years. So I guess it is the idea that sooner or later they get it right which seems to be what the cowboys are trying to do...sooner or later get it right. But let's not act like New England is getting it right all the time concerning drafting TEs for the two te set when in truth they just got it right after many tries.

From 2000 to last year they have draft 10 TES. They have drafted two TEs in the same draft at least twice. Have spent 4 picks in the first 3 rounds for TEs and until the Gronk/Hernandez draft they have pretty much missed on the TEs they have drafted. The only other known names from those 10 TEs they have drafted is Ben Watson and Daniel Graham and they both have a combined total of 496 Recs for 5765 yards and 50 TDS....while Gronk/Hernandez already have a combined total of 256 rec for 3346 yards and 40 TDs.

Not exactly a model of drafting genius with Two TE sets until they finally did it with Gronk and Hernandez recently.

Because of the Pats success with the 2 TE offense, it seems that is what Garrett and the Boys want to emulate. They tried it with Witten and Bennett with little success before going back to a traditional offense with a FB. It still seems though, that they want to run a 2 TE offense with the attempt to sign Davis this year and the drafting Fleener rumors.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't want a TE in Rd1 unless it's our second 1st rounder taken and it's Fleener (pick 30 or so). Even then, it would not be my preference.

The TE positional value is really rising. As we know, this is a copycat league and NE, NO, SF and others are showing what fast athletic TEs can do....and that you can use more than one.

In our case, we have two stud WRs but no proven slot guy. There is room in some of the more basic packages to insert an extra TE.

Just please, not our 1st pick. We have greater needs.

jjktkk

Reaction score
TheSport78;4511899 said:
Jerry should not get a pass on the Felix pick. He hasn't been solid. He's been the definition of a frustrating draft pick with "potential." And considering the other RB's that were on the board (Chris Johnson, Ray Rice, Jamaal Charles), it's a huge miss. Another example of Jerry listening to his coaches and not his scouts.

Love your hindsight analysis. No of those rbs you mentioned were rated higher than Felix when Jerry and co. drafted Jones. :rolleyes:

jjktkk

Reaction score
TheSport78;4511924 said:
Does that justify Jerry taking Quincy Carter at ALL?

And what?!? Quincy was our best pick? That was thee biggest reach I've ever seen with the Cowboys.

How long have you've been watching the Cowboys? Look up Shante Carver, David LaFleur, Ebenezer Ekuban, and Kavika Pittman, to name a few.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
jjktkk;4512262 said:
Love your hindsight analysis. No of those rbs you mentioned were rated higher than Felix when Jerry and co. drafted Jones. :rolleyes:

Actually some of those RB's were rated higher. I have read that Chris Johnson and Mendenhall were both rated higher than Felix.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
TheSport78;4512277 said:
Actually some of those RB's were rated higher. I have read that Chris Johnson and Mendenhall were both rated higher than Felix.

With their reasoning for taking Felix I dont see how they could've taken him over Chris Johnson if they had Johnson rated higher.

Picking him over Mendenhall makes sense but not Johnson.

jjktkk

Reaction score
TheSport78;4511958 said:
I'm pretty sure Quincy was projected to go in the 4th round area. It was a HUGE reach. It makes it that WORSE of a pick because Aikman had just retired and we were looking for our next franchise QB. Jerry probably watched Michael Vick get selected #1 overall and said, hmm Quincy can do that. Fail!

Jerry was desperate for a qb and reached for Carter. Did you know Quincy Carter was a higher rated qb than Vick, coming out of high school? Obviously Vick was/is a much better qb, just thought I would pass that tidbit of info on to you.

jjktkk

Reaction score
TheSport78;4512277 said:

No, sorry your wrong. Go to scout.com, and BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1 and look at the 2008 top-rated rbs from college.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
CATCH17;4512287 said:
With their reasoning for taking Felix I dont see how they could've taken him over Chris Johnson if they had Johnson rated higher.

Picking him over Mendenhall makes sense but not Johnson.

CJ was even smaller than Felix and struggle dot stay healthy at East Carolina.
Mendenhall had a bad rap even at Illinois and teams thought he was soft.

Rice was slow.

8. Chris Johnson, RB East Carolina
4.29. For some reason, while everyone was oohing and ahhing over Darren McFadden's workout, along with the size/speed dynamic of Rashard Mendenhall and Jonathan Stewart, and rightly so, Johnson ripped off a 4.29 in 40 at the Combine. One of the best all-around backs in America last year rushing for 1,423 yards and 17 touchdowns, catching 37 passes for 528 yards and six touchdowns, and returning 1,009 yards worth of kicks, he can do it all. However, he was held to 29 yards and a touchdown on ten carries against Virginia Tech and ran for 76 yards and a score on 14 carries against West Virginia. The biggest problem is his size at around 5-10 and under 200 yards; he's not built like an every-down runner. However, he's a dream of a third down back who'll have to be a complementary back.
CFN Projection: Late Second Round To Early Third Round

9. Matt Forte, RB Tulane
Forte is the back for those who believe breakaway speed is overrated. After all, how many backs tear off 40-yard runs? Forte doesn't have great straight-line speed, but he's a strong inside runner who was extremely dependable last season rushing for 2,127 yards and 23 touchdowns for the Green Wave. A big runner who pounds away, he's a positive carry every time he touches the ball. If you're looking for a thrilling back who'll make the highlight reel, that's not Forte. If you're looking for a steady, dependable all-around back who can catch, pound, and work his tail off, that's Forte.
CFN Projection: Third Round

6. Ray Rice, RB Rutgers
It all depends on how much of a chance someone is willing to give him. Rice has a lot of tread on the tires. A LOT. On the plus side, he proved he could handle a big workload and was ultra-durable. However, if you're a believer that a back only has so many carries in him, the 935 total touches in three years at Rutgers might mean a short shelf live. Who cares about five years from now? For the next few seasons, Rice could turn into a productive, consistent runner at a high level if he's allowed to pound away. His size, around 5-8, could be a positive as he'll dart in and out of the line behind his big blockers. Much faster than he looked on the field, he has the speed to hit the home run, but that's just gravy. He'll be a consistent positive-yardage machine if he's a featured back for a stretch. He's not the type to get a few carries here and there; he'll need a few series here and there.
CFN Projection: Late Second Round

Felix:
4. Felix Jones, RB Arkansas
He'll be the back for someone trying to get a speed runner on the cheap. Don't want to pay the high price to get a McFadden, Mendenhall or Stewart? Then wait for Jones and roll the dice on a jack-of-all-trades back with a ton of tread on the tires and devastating breakaway speed. The big question is whether or not he's a workhorse No. 1 back. He wasn't in college and he's not built like a 25-carry-a-game NFL runner. Ideally he fills a Reggie Bush role on a team with a Deuce McAllister and is used to run and catch on the outside and not between the tackles. With his ability to go from 0-to-60 in a heartbeat, he's the type of player who makes offensive coordinators drool at the possibilities. He'll be a fun toy to play with.
CFN Projection: Late First Round To Early Second Round

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jjktkk;4512276 said:
How long have you've been watching the Cowboys? Look up Shante Carver, David LaFleur, Ebenezer Ekuban, and Kavika Pittman, to name a few.

As much as QC was a reach, he was not even the biggest reach of our Draft that year...the guy we took after him was a bigger reach. Which is really bad when your first two picks in the draft are big reaches.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4512334 said:
As much as QC was a reach, he was not even the biggest reach of our Draft that year...the guy we took after him was a bigger reach. Which is really bad when your first two picks in the draft are big reaches.

As much a failure as QCar was I'd rather have him associated with the Cowboys doing crack in drag at halftime of games he starts then have Larry Lacewell run our personnel dept.

jjktkk

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4512334 said:

This. Definitely not one of Jerry's finest warroom moments.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
jjktkk;4512350 said:
This. Definitely not one of Jerry's finest warroom moments.

We also didn't have a first round pick that year because Jerry traded it away for Joey Galloway, which turned out to be the 7th pick in the draft. He followed up Dixon and Carter with Willie Blade in the third.

It's hard to even tell where the cluster f begins and ends.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
jjktkk;4512308 said:
No, sorry your wrong. Go to scout.com, and BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1 and look at the 2008 top-rated rbs from college.

Bro, I'm talking about the Cowboys specifically having other RB's rated over Felix and they still took Felix.

Gaede

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4512370 said:
We also didn't have a first round pick that year because Jerry traded it away for Joey Galloway, which turned out to be the 7th pick in the draft. He followed up Dixon and Carter with Willie Blade in the third.

Those were dark times.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4512370 said:

In that draft, I'd say it started with Quincy and ended with Char-ron Dorsey. The only guy out of that draft I even kinda liked was Matt Lehr.

Quincy Carter
Tony Dixon
Willie Blade
Markus Steele
Matt Lehr
Deleroy Stewart
Colston Weatherington
John Nix
Char-ron Dorsey

Buahhhhhh.......

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4512386 said:
In that draft, I'd say it started with Quincy and ended with Char-ron Dorsey. The only guy out of that draft I even kinda liked was Matt Lehr.

Quincy Carter
Tony Dixon
Willie Blade
Markus Steele
Matt Lehr
Deleroy Stewart
Colston Weatherington
John Nix
Char-ron Dorsey

Buahhhhhh.......

That is sickening.

The Special Teams draft was full of barf too.

Hopefully we build off of what we've done the last 2 years.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY;4512386 said:

Quincy Carter
Tony Dixon
Willie Blade
Markus Steele
Matt Lehr
Deleroy Stewart
Colston Weatherington
John Nix
Char-ron Dorsey

Buahhhhhh.......

I liked John Nix...but only because I liked the "Trashcan full of Dirt" Nickname.

That draft was a pants full of poop...which kind of fits since we drafted willie blade. :D