News: Jake Ferguson Brought the Heat in Cowboys Rookie Camp

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I remember watching Ferguson in games against Ohio State. I was fine with this pick. Pulling for him, but I pull for all the new players as well.
He will get a year to learn being 2nd or 3rd TE, and it will do him good. Maybe he is a sleeper pick that we need.

Why is sitting behind someone for a year a good thing? IM thinking we can agree he is a better blocker than Schultz right now? If he is kicking butt on day 1, hes gonna see the field on this team, especially early. This is the pick that intrigues me the most.

Plankton

Reaction score
Ferguson is the type of guy who will have an 8 year or so career in the NFL, but likely will never be a star or a front line player. That being said, special is not a word that I would associate with Jake Ferguson unless it involved playing on special teams.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why is sitting behind someone for a year a good thing? IM thinking we can agree he is a better blocker than Schultz right now? If he is kicking butt on day 1, hes gonna see the field on this team, especially early. This is the pick that intrigues me the most.

I did not mean sit and learn as to not playing. More learn as he played a lesser role as not starting, or being the main guy. Then make his move next year as the starter.
Depending how Schultz, or even McKeon performs.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ferguson is the type of guy who will have an 8 year or so career in the NFL, but likely will never be a star or a front line player. That being said, special is not a word that I would associate with Jake Ferguson unless it involved playing on special teams.

Jason Witten was a 3rd round pick. I bet back then many would have said the same about him.
I do not remember anyone saying he was going to be something special.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
From what I see with him, Ferguson can be a good security blanket type TE. He has very sure hands and can make clutch catches in tight spaces. He isn’t going to break off on any long TD runs, but he wasn’t drafted to.

What he will do is block well and catch what is thrown to him.
Uh hum.... Jason Witten

CowboyMort

Reaction score
As a 4th round pick, if he is equal to Schultz as a receiver and better than Schultz as a blocker, then it's a win.

Watching some of his game film, he reminds me of Shultz as a receiver. Not super fast or quick, but gets open and gets 8-10 yards a catch. My guess is we keep Shultz on the franchise tag this year and Ferguson is our salary saving replacement next year. Use some of that $ they save letting Shultz walk and help sign Diggs, CeeDee or someone with a 1st contract ending soon. We will then get a 4th or 5th comp pick for Shultz.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
From what I see with him, Ferguson can be a good security blanket type TE. He has very sure hands and can make clutch catches in tight spaces. He isn’t going to break off on any long TD runs, but he wasn’t drafted to.

What he will do is block well and catch what is thrown to him.
Witten 2.0 ain't a bad thing.

CWR

Reaction score
I remember watching Ferguson in games against Ohio State. I was fine with this pick. Pulling for him, but I pull for all the new players as well.
He will get a year to learn being 2nd or 3rd TE, and it will do him good. Maybe he is a sleeper pick that we need.

If he is as polished as said I believe he will afford us the opportunity to run a lot more 12 personnel. Since we excel at the formation I expect we see a surprising amount of Ferguson this season. He may post decent numbers on the year. I'm looking forward to seeing these TEs get back to blocking as well.

CWR

Reaction score
The Cowboys selected Wisconsin TE Jake Ferguson with the 129th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Ferguson was a factor in the Badger offense all four seasons, catching 145 passes for 1,168 yards and 13 touchdowns in his college career. Last season, he caught 46 passes for 450 yards and three touchdowns, earning First-team All-Big Ten honors.

Furthermore, Ferguson was the leading receiver during Reese’s Senior Bowl. He finished with three receptions for 62 yards and a touchdown in the annual contest.

The off-season has just begun for Dallas, and for now, Ferguson will backup Dalton Schultz in his rookie campaign and compete with Jeremy Sprinkle and Sean McKeon for the TE2 spot.

This past weekend, FanSided NFL Insider Matt Lombardo said Ferguson was a standout during the camp.

“Those around the team said he has a chance to be special,” said Lombardo. The former Badger standout “turned heads with his physicality, and “really solid body control in the passing game.”

https://insidethestar.com/jake-ferguson-brought-the-heat-in-cowboys-rookie-camp/

I don't pay a ton of attention to the senior bowl, but it's become common to hear of a player doing well that week and then seeing it translate to the NFL. It's almost like drafting the legacy type players who are following in Daddy's footsteps. Those guys are legit more often than not.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The Cowboys selected Wisconsin TE Jake Ferguson with the 129th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Ferguson was a factor in the Badger offense all four seasons, catching 145 passes for 1,168 yards and 13 touchdowns in his college career. Last season, he caught 46 passes for 450 yards and three touchdowns, earning First-team All-Big Ten honors.

Furthermore, Ferguson was the leading receiver during Reese’s Senior Bowl. He finished with three receptions for 62 yards and a touchdown in the annual contest.

The off-season has just begun for Dallas, and for now, Ferguson will backup Dalton Schultz in his rookie campaign and compete with Jeremy Sprinkle and Sean McKeon for the TE2 spot.

This past weekend, FanSided NFL Insider Matt Lombardo said Ferguson was a standout during the camp.

“Those around the team said he has a chance to be special,” said Lombardo. The former Badger standout “turned heads with his physicality, and “really solid body control in the passing game.”

https://insidethestar.com/jake-ferguson-brought-the-heat-in-cowboys-rookie-camp/

Has he signed yet ?
Our only unsigned draftee I think.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Watching some of his game film, he reminds me of Shultz as a receiver. Not super fast or quick, but gets open and gets 8-10 yards a catch. My guess is we keep Shultz on the franchise tag this year and Ferguson is our salary saving replacement next year. Use some of that $ they save letting Shultz walk and help sign Diggs, CeeDee or someone with a 1st contract ending soon. We will then get a 4th or 5th comp pick for Shultz.

They could have saved even more money by letting Schultz walk this year, couldn't they? Not like we would have done even more than we did in FA but hey. Would've been fine having the rook compete with a FA veteran and the rest.