Jamarcus Russell will be a bust in my opinion

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Aside from that fact that he's a better physical speciman than Quinn, he had a better comp.%, a better QB rating and a better YPA than Quinn playing against better defenses week in/week out in a decidedly more QB unfriendly offense. Also unlike Quinn, he played well in big games.

I'm astounded anyone could call him "Quincy Carter", and wonder what in the world they're looking at to make that comparison (certainly not his 68% completion percentage and 167 QB rating). Quinn actually had more problems with accuracy. I wonder why he's not compared to Quincy Carter?

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
I would take him over Quinn any day of the week. That doesnt mean he wont be a bust, but he is by far the best QB in the draft. Has a huge arm and can move around, and only threw one more INT than the golden boy did playing in a tough conference.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1387640 said:
Aside from that fact that he's a better physical speciman than Quinn, he had a better comp.%, a better QB rating and a better YPA than Quinn playing against better defenses week in/week out in a decidedly more QB unfriendly offense. Also unlike Quinn, he played well in big games.

I'm astounded anyone could call him "Quincy Carter", and wonder what in the world they're looking at to make that comparison.

Certainly not his 68% completion percentage and 167 QB rating.

Slip Screen, Bubble Screen, pass in the flats, Long ball. Big deal.

4th and 1 time for LSU to punt.....Again.....

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;1387645 said:

4th and 1 time for LSU to punt.....Again.....
Sorry, you don't get a 9.1 YPA that way.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
CATCH17;1387645 said:

Hard to get a 9.15 YPA with an offense that centers around dump offs in the flat. Also hard to have three WR's with over 50 catches in a 13 game college season when you're running nothing but screen passes with the occasional bomb.

Didn't watch many LSU games this year, did you?

4th and 1 and punting ... sounds like Quinn playing LSU (or anyone else not named Navy and Purdue) ..... Except more like 4th and 9.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Russell has a good chance to be a very good QB but I also think it depends on who drafts him and how they go about building an offense around him. I think all too often people expect more out of the QB position than any man is capable of, he needs the people around him to succeed. In my opinion he has all the physical tools to be a very good QB

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I can see Jamarcus busting

hell, could say that for half of the 365 players going to the combine

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1387655 said:
Hard to get a 9.15 YPA with an offense that centers around dump offs in the flat. Also hard to have three WR's with over 50 catches in a 13 game college season when you're running nothing but screen passes with the occasional bomb.

Didn't watch many LSU games this year, did you?

4th and 1 in punting ... sounds like Quinn playing LSU (or anyone else not named Navy and Purdue) ..... Except more like 4th and 9.
Not sure how Dwayne Bowe could get 1000 yards with a 15.2 average and Craig Davis could get 800 yards with a 14.9 average off a bunch a dump offs either.

Edit: In addition, the LSU RBs and FBs had about 400 receiving yards total. Gosh, where did all the yards from these dumps and screens go?

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I think Russell will be a solid pro. Maybe not an alltime great, but solid.

Angus

Reaction score
The emergence of Vince young should disabuse folks of the idea that form and mechanics are the most influential in determining whether a quarterback prospect will be really good . . . even great, perhaps. It is the intangibles that separate them. Leadership doesn't depend on a strong arm, nor does it always accompany it. Leadership and character have to be weighed to make a sound judgment. I know nothing about such attributes for either of the men discussed, and unless you do you might be fooling yourself.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Angus;1387727 said:
The emergence of Vince young should disabuse folks of the idea that form and mechanics are the most influential in determining whether a quarterback prospect will be really good . . . even great, perhaps. It is the intangibles that separate them. Leadership doesn't depend on a strong arm, nor does it always accompany it. Leadership and character have to be weighed to make a sound judgment. I know nothing about such attributes for either of the men discussed, and unless you do you might be fooling yourself.
All that Vince Young has done is show that some casual fans would rather watch a QB run than throw.

He hasn't changed the game in any other respect.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1387640 said:

I'm astounded anyone could call him "Quincy Carter", and wonder what in the world they're looking at to make that comparison (certainly not his 68% completion percentage and 167 QB rating). Quinn actually had more problems with accuracy. I wonder why he's not compared to Quincy Carter?

Yes, that is quite odd.

I have not seen much of the kid but I wouldnt probably go with Quinn as the safest pick at that position. But as far as taking a risk and possibly more upside, Russell may be the better choice.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
theogt;1387741 said:
All that Vince Young has done is show that some casual fans would rather watch a QB run than throw.

He hasn't changed the game in any other respect.

The Titans didnt draft him to change the game. The guy was brought in to be a franchise quarterback and win games.

Why do you throw out the casual fan label when speaking of people who compliment the guy on a nice season last year.

- Mike G.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think if you draft Jamarcus Russell you'll set your franchise back 5 years and you'll have a Quarterback that you dont ask to win you the game but just dont lose it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;1387758 said:
I think if you draft Jamarcus Russell you'll set your franchise back 5 years and you'll have a Quarterback that you dont ask to win you the game but just dont lose it.
Obviously that's the opinion you started with and nothing is changing your mind. Did you start the thread to elicit opinions or as a soapbox for yours? I suspect the latter.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1387755 said:
The Titans didnt draft him to change the game. The guy was brought in to be a franchise quarterback and win games.

Why do you throw out the casual fan label when speaking of people who compliment the guy on a nice season last year.

- Mike G.
I understand that he wasn't expected to change the game, but another poster suggested that he had changed the way people look at the game. That's silly.

People can complement him on a nice season, but I will be suspicious of their view of a nice season.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Anyone stupid enough to claim that Quinn did not play well in big games is one that only looks at stats. BQ for the most part this last season played as well as any QB can when he is getting very lousy blocking from his O line. Sound familiar? Georgia Tech was pretty good- BQ did what it took to win the game. For those who for some STUPID reason keep using the service academies as excuses: Ask Boston College about Navy; Ask Tennessee about Air Force. And BQ took his team down the field in the final minute to beat UCLA. Ask USC about UCLA's defense. Russel could be a top NFL QB. I do not thing comparing him to Culpepper (who really only has had one great year) is doing him any favors. Cunningham might be more of a comparison. Russell had a great line and a great Defense this year. How often did he have to come from behind? BQ had to come from behind in 10 games this year; he succeeded in 7 of them. Last year, by the way, his game when ND almost (and should have except for that little PUSH) beat the #1 team in the nation was just about perfect. SO he has played as well as a QB can in big games - he did quite well against the #1 Defense last year against OHIO STATE - that game was a lot closer then the score looked. ND's lousy defense that gives up big plays all day (sound familiar again?) lost it for them. Outside of a few, just about all the experts say BQ will go in the top 5. Which is about right.
WIth all the mistakes the Raiders have made in the last 5 years, it would not be all that great a mark for Russell to be picked by them.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
theogt;1387767 said:
I understand that he wasn't expected to change the game, but another poster suggested that he had changed the way people look at the game. That's silly.

People can complement him on a nice season, but I will be suspicious of their view of a nice season.

I never saw that comment, I was going soley off of your response to Angus, who simply used Young as an example of someone who has had success in the NFL and not having the greatest mechanics.

8-5 as a rookie-starter, not too shabby.

- Mike G.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Jamarcus Russell vs Florida: 24-41 - 228 yards - 1 TD 3 INTs.

vs Auburn: 20-35 - 269 Yards - 0 TD 0 INTs.

Probably the 2 best defenses he saw all year.

Jamarcus just dont lose the game.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1387778 said:
I never saw that comment, I was going soley off of your response to Angus, who simply used Young as an example of someone who has had success in the NFL and not having the greatest mechanics.

8-5 as a rookie-starter, not too shabby.

- Mike G.
Angus stated that Vince Young should change the way people view quarterbacks. It's in plain English for you to see.

Sorry, but win-loss is a poor way to judge a QB's performance.