Jamarcus Russell will be a bust in my opinion

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
joseephuss;1387952 said:
Russell completed 61.9% in college while Culpepper completes 64.2% of his passes in the pros. It was just a relative comparison. I wasn't saying Russell is not accurate, but Duante has proven himself at the pro level.

Except when Randy is not on the field. Every QB that got to play in Minnesotta with Moss had success.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hostile;1387946 said:
Culpepper holds the NCAA record with 73.6% his final year.
I didn't say that Culpepper wasn't accurate. But from watching Culpepper in the pros and Russell in college, I wouldn't say that Culpepper is more accurate.

Also, I'm not sure what level of talent Culpepper was putting those numbers up against playing for UCF.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;1387979 said:
I didn't say that Culpepper wasn't accurate. But from watching Culpepper in the pros and Russell in college, I wouldn't say that Culpepper is more accurate.

Also, I'm not sure what level of talent Culpepper was putting those numbers up against playing for UCF.

:bang2: :banghead: :bang2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theogt;1387979 said:

Uh, okay...

:huh:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;1387984 said:
:bang2: :banghead: :bang2:
Yeah, I think we all get that you don't like Russell.

Hostile;1387992 said:
Uh, okay...

:huh:
They weren't affiliated with any conference at that time. If they're playing against teams like Arkansas State it's not nearly as impressive as Russell's completion percentage against the SEC.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theogt;1388020 said:
They weren't affiliated with any conference at that time. If they're playing against teams like Arkansas State it's not nearly as impressive as Russell's completion percentage against the SEC.
That isn't what I was scratching my head at, but thank you for the information.

TDHND

Reaction score
I'm glad to see a few people supporting Quinn. As an Irish fan I think he looked a lot better his Junior year then he did his Senior year. The pressure got to him. He was hit a lot. The OL didn't protect him very well and he had no defense. I'd like to see other QB's take the punishment he went through for 4 years and see if they could play every game like he did.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theogt;1387633 said:
I know. That's the joke.
I didn't see this earlier.

I get it now. Sorry but I'm not going to engage in a pissing match over QBs who will not be selected by the Cowboys.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
It would seem like this is a last year Vince Young type thread.... big play in the big game at the end of the year catapulted him to star status... then he was pre-declared a bust.... VY looks like he can play.... seems like the same mentality is being applied here for Russell...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
YoMick;1388313 said:
It would seem like this is a last year Vince Young type thread.... big play in the big game at the end of the year catapulted him to star status... then he was pre-declared a bust.... VY looks like he can play.... seems like the same mentality is being applied here for Russell...
...and Quinn.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
YoMick;1388313 said:
Eh, I've been high on Russell for a long time now. It did catapult him into the national spotlight, though.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hostile;1387619 said:
I would not take him over Brady Quinn, and I'm surprised his stock is so high, but I can't say I think he will be a bust. I've liked him since his Freshman year at LSU, but I just don't see him as the overall #1.

I said the same things about Peyton Manning over Ryan Leaf, and I am not saying Russell is Ryan Leaf or Quinn is Peyton. I'm talking about the difference between a "big, strong, wow you guy" versus the "trained in a pro set, polished" QB prospect.

The converse was Mirer and Bledsoe. It isnt the same thing either way.

Zen

Reaction score
He does play like Culpepper, hopefully he has bigger hands. Culpepper was an elite QB before his injury. His style is similar to Big Ben as well, these guys are dump trucks with rocket lauchers. But comparing him to Qc and cunningham is a joke not even similar body types.
I think he has a chance to succeed, I was not too big on Vince Young till he single handedly beat USC. I hope the raiders take him so Brady Quinn goes to a different team. Brady Quinn is a good QB on a sub par Irish team.

joseephuss

Reaction score
CATCH17;1387978 said:
Except when Randy is not on the field. Every QB that got to play in Minnesotta with Moss had success.

Duante had one of the best seasons of any QB in a year when Randy Moss was listed as playing in 13 games, but in reality played in only 11 games due to injury. It wasn't all Moss. You don't complete 69% of your passes in a season just throwing the ball to Randy Moss who doesn't even put forth 100% effort on every play.

Culpepper has struggled since Moss was traded. Look deeper and you will see that the Vikings had injuries to several posisitions when the 2005 season started and Miami has a horrible O-line. It wasn't all because of Duante losing Moss. Duante just is not playing at his normal level. That is mostly on him alone and less than average offensive lines and then a little of not having Moss.

dalboy

one man wolf pack
Reaction score
It depends how good the new coach is, if Randy Moss Stays, and if they can actually can vlock this year.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1388422 said:
The converse was Mirer and Bledsoe. It isnt the same thing either way.
Notre Dame wasn't running a Pro Set offense when Mirer was the QB there. That qualifier was/is part of my preference.

Peyton Manning ran a pro style offense at Tennessee. Quinn runs that at Notre Dame now. For me, this makes a huge difference in preparations for a QB to succeed in the NFL.

This is why I have always been leery of run and shoot QBs, fun n gun, etc.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;1388535 said:
Notre Dame wasn't running a Pro Set offense when Mirer was the QB there. That qualifier was/is part of my preference.

Peyton Manning ran a pro style offense at Tennessee. Quinn runs that at Notre Dame now. For me, this makes a huge difference in preparations for a QB to succeed in the NFL.

This is why I have always been leery of run and shoot QBs, fun n gun, etc.

you and I agree on this...I think the system and style of offense a QB plays in makes a huge difference...

David

jay cee

Reaction score
summerisfunner;1387667 said:
I can see Jamarcus busting

hell, could say that for half of the 365 players going to the combine

Heck, I'll bet if you said it about all of them, you would be right more times than not.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
CATCH17;1387569 said:
Does anyone else think this as well?

My thoughts on this have absolutely nothing to do with him going to the Raiders either.

The guy was just not all that great at LSU. If he was truly the most talented Quarterback in College Football then LSU would have had a National title.

If you watched an LSU game since Russell has been there it always seems like they need someone else at the Quarterback position to spark that Offense. I remember them getting all excited when Perriloux came to town because they thought he'd take over early.

I think hes at best Daunte Culpepper and I dont think a player with a ceiling thats only that high is worth the #1 overall pick.

What do you guys think about Russell?

I'm go on record as disagreeing with you. I guess people expected him to go into the combine looking like TO. ~NEWS FLASH~ He has never looked like TO. The guy is going to be a gamer at the next level. I'm am now on record and I feel so much better for having done so.

cowboy4life

"I Love Me Some Me." Hit The Bricks, *******. Team
Reaction score
CATCH17;1387645 said:
Slip Screen, Bubble Screen, pass in the flats, Long ball. Big deal.

4th and 1 time for LSU to punt.....Again.....

Have you even watched any of LSU's games this year?