James Washington Will Light it Up as a Cowboy

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
or that Tolbert will make a quick adjustment, but I'm not counting on it.

Typically wide receivers don't do that well their first year, especially third round picks from small schools. Jerry Rice was a first round pick and didn't do much at all his first year.

At best Tolbert is a couple of years away from being a top notch NFL receiver, if he even gets to that level...

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
How is he going to light it up without a decent QB? Is Jerry making a deal for Mahomes?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Typically wide receivers don't do that well their first year, especially third round picks from small schools. Jerry Rice was a first round pick and didn't do much at all his first year.

At best Tolbert is a couple of years away from being a top notch NFL receiver, if he even gets to that level...

I agree that it's rare. In another thread, I pointed out Gallup's numbers from his rookie year. I'm not expecting a lot from Tolbert as a rookie, but I'm hoping, just like with Washington. We all want him to be what he hasn't been up to this point.

Frankly, this group is one of my greatest areas of concern with Gallup out. I'm hoping that Washington will prove that he was essentially being held back in Pittsburgh. I'm hoping that Tolbert will show he's NFL ready and do it quickly. I'm hoping that Fehoko will prove to be an NFL-caliber receiver, that Vasher will, that Brandon Smith will, etc.

But I don't have a lot of faith that any of those things will happen. The only one I have confidence in while Gallup is out is Lamb, and I'm not sure he's a guy who can carry the load without another big-time threat opposite him to draw away some of the coverage.

I feel better about this group than the 2018 group, because we have Lamb and Gallup (if healthy) has shown he can be a No. 2, but I don't feel a high degree of confidence while Gallup is out.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
He and his family own a ranch just 20 minutes north of my tiny town I live in. These folks are highly thought of. He is a hard honest worker and exudes a winning attitude. Dude is an actual real ranch hand ie Cowboy. Wears the Cowboy hat and all. The real deal. If he can just have a minimal affect on the team we will be better. I talked to him when he was a High Schooler at Stamford. It was brief. It was yes sir the entire time he addressed me. He was a 1 man show. We were in awe of the kid and his skills. This was a nice signing if hes healthy and he gets a real chance.

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I have seen that new place, new faces spark some careers but I am a skeptical about players that were not kept by their former teams when it is not cap related and he couldn't get more playing time in PIT. That WR corps was not top 10 but then that QB was bottom 10 so he might have the chance to resurrect the belief that made him a 2nd rounder.

I did like him at OSU and thought he would have a better pro career than he did just as I hoped Amari Cooper would not show the inconsistencies he did in OAK and I was wrong. He took the same act to another town.

I actually think the best WR on this team is Gallup and have a lot of hope for Tolbert. He could be special.
He wasn't going to re-sign with Steelers. He wanted to come back to TXs and play for his childhood team.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Well, one day it is Simi the next Tolbert the next day Washington.
Good lad, there are just a limited number of WR spots.:)

Some people are concerned about our WRs.

I see them as a strength.

Did you see what he looked like standing on the sidelines in a walking boot. He looked like he had two tires stacked around his waist.

Drummond has the same build. A lot of those types of receivers are shifty, and can be deceptively fast. They just have a little waddle to them.

Jimmy added a lot of cheap plan b free agents in the early 90s.

Shame me for multi-quoting, I guess. Lots of good discussion here. And I just wanted to point out that speedkillz made a very important point.

Go back and look at those teams. They had weak spots. Larry Brown was a weak spot, Kelvin Martin was a weak spot. But those guys stepped up.

These are the kinds of players we're talking about here. Like, speed calls them. I'm not saying they're world beaters. But in the scope of things, they fit in well.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Look at us!

Salivating over a discarded JAG.

We used to be someone.

Dallas used to be world class.

No more.
I remember when we brought in a real Jag from the Jags one season and he was a solid WR for Romo that year.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I have seen that new place, new faces spark some careers but I am a skeptical about players that were not kept by their former teams when it is not cap related and he couldn't get more playing time in PIT. That WR corps was not top 10 but then that QB was bottom 10 so he might have the chance to resurrect the belief that made him a 2nd rounder.

I did like him at OSU and thought he would have a better pro career than he did just as I hoped Amari Cooper would not show the inconsistencies he did in OAK and I was wrong. He took the same act to another town.

I actually think the best WR on this team is Gallup and have a lot of hope for Tolbert. He could be special.

I also think Gallup could be the best receiver. I'm a fan of Lamb, sure. But Gallup will make those tough plays. What I really like is the intensity Cee Dee plays with. Again, I think that's why we let Amari go. We want players going 100% of their ability all the time. And Amari would get by on 85% of his ability. Leave some of it behind for his own safety. Guys like Cee Dee and Gallup, they put it all on the line. They earn their money. Gallup will do anything you ask of him. And he's got mad skills. I hope he retires a Cowboy. Love his game.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Let's give him some reps at RB then.

He and Drummond, the UDFA, have that kind of aspect to their game. These sorts of players are producing in the NFL sometimes.

I wish they had more time to evaluate these players. I think that's what McCarthy was kind of saying the other day during a press conference. That he wasn't arguing for a tremendous amount more time, but just some more time.

I do really like the way McCarthy thinks though. And he doesn't have a huge ego. I like that. I would like to see him bring a bit more ego, actually.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
So let's see - "He's got big play ability and also plays pretty steady. Shifty guy with good hands. Won't have a lot of drops."

Yet also per one website - "... who disappointed as a second-round pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers""

And - " 1 year, $1,187,500 contract"

If he's pretty good, why did he get only a bit over $1 mil.? Yes, he's a Texas native, that may be all there is to it.

But he'll have a "tough row to hoe" as the used to say, being behind Lamb, Gallup (eventually), Brown, Fehoko, Tolbert and a couple of other veteran receivers.

Not dissing the guy, not unusual for a player to just not be a good fit with one team but improves with another. Also to do the opposite, as well.
I'll give him every chance...
If your not a star player, cowboys will only offer a low contract, you can take it or leave it. He wanted to play for cowboys so he took it.
Not bad for a one year deal. If he gets to play and does good, he knows he can get more if not for cowboys, but some other team.
There are many players like him that are in the league, but dont get much chance to play or to show what they can do.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well, while Gallup's out, we need him to actually replace Cooper's production as the No. 2 receiver, unless Tolbert can do that. Otherwise, teams will double Lamb knowing that no one else we have can regularly win one-on-one matchups.

not really

you are thinking too broadly, no one player needs to make up for the loss of another.

Wilson had few big games when needed but still was a 3 or 4 in our offense again all we need Washington to do is make few plays have some productive games.

we also have pollard, zeke, and Schultz. we have an offense, we dont need to run 4-5wr sets the first month. there are ways to use the run game to set up PA passes, use 2 Tes and use a lot of motion to make sure Lambs not doubled so much etc etc

some of you are making this AC loss as some huge deal and its not..no one NEEDS to do TOO MUCH.

jeez..like i said Wash is guy much Like Wilson who can have some solid games when targeted. Like Wilson did with Rish in the MN game..we were pretty shorthanded in that game and WON..

this isn't complicated, its football. Its really on MM , DQ and MOORE to game plan differently until Gallups back full strength

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
that not happening. Pollard barely squeaks that out most games. Maybe 2-3, sure i can see that.
Im just tossing out ideas I guess. TP is spending time at the slot. It may free up some carries for a 3rd guy like JW.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Im just tossing out ideas I guess. TP is spending time at the slot. It may free up some carries for a 3rd guy like JW.
Yes but hat not new post is overblown pollards always been an option at slot, just not utilized enough but out of the slot im betting does the end around type stuff and ends up as a runner anyway. i loved that play where zeke got the ball started running one direction and pollard came off the line as wr came to the end around and zeke tossed it to his. Those turned into nice gains..we need more of that..

Rayman70

Reaction score
I predict he has 32 catches, 460 yards, and 3 TDs this season.

Somewhere in that ball park.
if healthy and used right, I see 800(250 rushing,550 receiving) yards from scrimmage in total.50-ish catches and 10 tds. I think he will get like 3 rushing, 7 receiving. Its feasible.