Jane Slater: The players defend Mike McCarthy

FoxF

Reaction score
Here come the pro MM articles, looks like we are keeping him.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Its the owners fault not the coach.

Those GB teams w Rodgers didnt look soft to me
THIS X 1000!!!!!!
  • Dak has NOT had any competition since he became the guy, so, he knows he can keep his job even when he struggles
  • The country club atmosphere has been present since Jimmy left (maybe Parcells instilled some toughness)
  • The TERRIBLE contracts handed out to players coming off injuries keep derailing the Cap and, because the Jones’s didn’t deals, they refuse to cut bait sooner than later
Which leads to the LARGER issue - the environment tends to neuter the HC from being g the defacto Boss that the players NEED to be somewhat in fear of (at least in terms of losing playing time and/or their jobs). 28 years and counting…

Cowboys93

Reaction score
Any player that isn’t doing some soul searching after yesterday can go. There is no defending what I saw yesterday from the coach to the damn water boy

Cmac

Reaction score
I can hear it now......."we don't get punished for sleeping in meetings", "nobody talks about penalties", or "nobody questions me for being late."

MrPhil

Reaction score
What actions are taken to un-f this franchise in the offseason will have a direct correlation to my time investment in this team next year.

Verdict

Reaction score
McCarthy is too soft on them. They have no fear they might get cut. We need a coach that will hold them accountable not one who coddles them.
I don’t think that is the case. I think overall MM has done a good job. Are there potentially better coaches? Possibly but can they navigate the Jones circus?

MM has the team on the cusp. The issue the Cowboys have is 1. They have a QB that wilts in every big game. You could also argue that the defensive scheme failed as well. But how demoralizing is it to a defense to know that your QB isn’t going to start playing until the second half after he has spotted the opposing team 14 points?

Dak is NOT the guy. His issues are mental. And no amount of coaching is going to change that.

If you are going to go with Dak you need a 2000 Ravens defense and a very strong OL and very strong running game to limit Dak’s passing attempts.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course they defend him. He’s a cupcake that doesn't hold anyone accountable, thus the annual penalty problem. No discipline.. Why wouldn't the players defend him??

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
At some point the results have to match up to the words.

12-5, 12-5, and 12-5 since 2021 and one playoff win over a crap Tampa team that didn't even belong in the playoffs last season is all they have to show for it.

That Bucs team was like 7-9, please. Now like high school teams getting into the playoffs with a 2-9 record. I was like WTH.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
I don’t think that is the case. I think overall MM has done a good job. Are there potentially better coaches? Possibly but can they navigate the Jones circus?

MM has the team on the cusp. The issue the Cowboys have is 1. They have a QB that wilts in every big game. You could also argue that the defensive scheme failed as well. But how demoralizing is it to a defense to know that your QB isn’t going to start playing until the second half after he has spotted the opposing team 14 points?

Dak is NOT the guy. His issues are mental. And no amount of coaching is going to change that.

If you are going to go with Dak you need a 2000 Ravens defense and a very strong OL and very strong running game to limit Dak’s passing attempts.
Dak absolutely played bad yesterday (he admitted it). But, acting like the D struggled BECAUSE of Dak’s play is comical. The D got whipped from the opening series. Even if Dak didn’t throw 2 picks (that resulted in 13 points), the D still gave up 35 points ON THEIR OWN.

leicafan

Reaction score
So apparently, Dak is a problem. Even Jane Slater said when first read is not there, he panic. Change the QB is the priority. You can't teach that. It has been how many years, 8 years and he still can only read one target? Really?

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Of course. Everyone likes the easy teacher with no discipline.

mldardy

Reaction score
In other words, the players want to continue to soft, country club culture instead of changing the culture. Don't care what the player's want. They are part of the problem like the coaches are.