Jarwin v Schultz

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We've been doing the square peg round hole thingie for waaaaay too long.

The *first* 3rd down play before the kick - the swing pass wide to Zeke - seemed like classic Garrett. We were already conceding the touchdown and playing for the kick and a 1 point lead *if* our erratic kicker can make a 60 yard FG, with Tom Brady ready to come off the bench with 1:30 left to play. Total give up, "don't blame me" play call.

Dak even throws crappy swing passes, and the reception stats for both Zeke and Pollard show what a loser that call was.

"I know! We'll do what we do worst! That'll fool em."

So very Garrett.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Jarwin has speed to get up the field but he seems absolutely worthless as a blocker. He reminded me of the latter years Jason Witten who just yelled Ole’ as defenders tackled Dallas players he was supposed to block for.

Schultz was a solid, if unspectacular TE last night. Made the tough catches, in traffic and had pretty good situational awareness of where the sticks were, where defenders were coming from, ball protection, etc.

It’s a one game sample size, but Jarwin is playing his way off the team as a blocker.

Might be more that Schultz is playing Jarwin's way off the team by being a complete tight end.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I imagine the jones boys want Jarwin playing and maybe as the starter.
if that is what they want it will happen lol.

that said, Jarwin will need time to get back into playing shape and form. That is why he should not have been on the field in this first game.
It should have been all shultz.

Adreme

Reaction score
Actually Schultz did quite well blocking on the move last year .. for example @ 3:00 minute mark ..

Everyone looks great on highlight clips, that is why they are highlight clips. I could make a highlight clip of 7th-round picks that would make you think they, and their teammates, belong in the 2nd to 1st round.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jarwin has speed to get up the field but he seems absolutely worthless as a blocker. He reminded me of the latter years Jason Witten who just yelled Ole’ as defenders tackled Dallas players he was supposed to block for.

Schultz was a solid, if unspectacular TE last night. Made the tough catches, in traffic and had pretty good situational awareness of where the sticks were, where defenders were coming from, ball protection, etc.

It’s a one game sample size, but Jarwin is playing his way off the team as a blocker.
Two different players really. Schultz is an inline TE with some blocking ability. Not a very explosive athlete, but a good enough athlete (and nuanced) to be a productive pass catcher. Just never going to be a game breaker.

Jarwin is and poor mans Evan Engram. He is a basically a big slot receiver. He has never been an adequate blocker, and never will be. His place is as a receiver on obvious passing downs.

The only time Jarwin should have to block is in a play action run. And honestly, I think Schultz is a good enough receiver to get those play action snaps.

Schultz is a FA at the end of the season. I don't see us keeping both, and I would much rather keep Schultz. Jarwin is a better athlete, but he is actually a sub par athlete compared to TE's with a similar skill set

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And vice versa. Jarwin is not near as good at YAC or creating separation.
One of the things I noticed with Jarwin is that he really needs other receivers to create mismatches for him.

He is a better athete than Schultz, but he is pretty sub par athletically compared to other move TE's. If we bring him back next year, Id consider making Brown a move TE. Its really not much different than what he does on offense

Cmac

Reaction score
Sorry but Witten never would have missed that goal line block on the Tampa DB. And obviously never had Jarwin’s speed up the seam but found space and was a RedZone threat. I’d love to have even twilight Witten on this team and IMO he could have been the difference on that last offensive drive. I don’t get why you have to take a pop at him.

Jarwin definitely had one horrible snap, does your evaluation dig any deeper that that one play?
You want JWitten back?......again? JWitt was known to have missed some blocks too, not sure where that came from?

Cmac

Reaction score
Schultz proved he is a starting TE in this league last year. Jarwin, because of injury has not.
We can't allow Jarwin to recover?.....he was good before Schultz showed us something. We just don't need to expect Jarwin to be something he is not......a blocking TE.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't see it as a vs each other but as a really nice tandem that can be very good if used right. Dak, WR, and TE are what I'm the most excited about this year
Yeah I was against this because I thought Jarwin was better but I see some perks of using both as a tandem and have them split snaps. Should also lower Schultz value some to be able to re-sign him too.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone looks great on highlight clips, that is why they are highlight clips. I could make a highlight clip of 7th-round picks that would make you think they, and their teammates, belong in the 2nd to 1st round.
True, but I saw many plays last year where he did a great job at blocking on the move.

That was simply the one play I knew would be in a highlight reel since Lamb scored.

kskboys

Reaction score
One of the things I noticed with Jarwin is that he really needs other receivers to create mismatches for him.

He is a better athete than Schultz, but he is pretty sub par athletically compared to other move TE's. If we bring him back next year, Id consider making Brown a move TE. Its really not much different than what he does on offense
I don't think he's a better athlete. Jarwin is faster, but speed is not the same thing as athleticism. Schultz is much more quick twitch and has much better moves. He's the type who doesn't look athletic, but then it turns out that he actually is.

RonWashington

Reaction score

Sgt Schultz can actually get some yards after the catch , don’t know if it’s last years injury but Jarwin is tackled at the point of the reception . Neither TE are going to make highlight reel blocking .

Sprinkle is a wasted roster spot .

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't think he's a better athlete. Jarwin is faster, but speed is not the same thing as athleticism. Schultz is much more quick twitch and has much better moves. He's the type who doesn't look athletic, but then it turns out that he actually is.
Moves? Schultz looks like a ballerina on molly recovering from a high ankle sprain when we tries to run after the catch

kskboys

Reaction score
Moves? Schultz looks like a ballerina on molly recovering from a high ankle sprain when we tries to run after the catch
I don't know what that means. What I do know is that Shultz consistently gets YAC. He's slippery as hades and is always finding creases and making moves to get extra yards. He is an incredible inside YAC guy.

kskboys

Reaction score
True, but I saw many plays last year where he did a great job at blocking on the move.

That was simply the one play I knew would be in a highlight reel since Lamb scored.
Jarwin fans are some rabid folks!!!! It is entertaining to see all the claims they make about Schultz and Jarwin, and they simply cannot comprehend how Schultz is better. Funny stuff.